Craziest Headphone Experience?
Dec 1, 2001 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
Did you ever have something really really crazy experience when you had headphones on? I just had one!

It's between night and morning here in Hong Kong and for some reason I can't sleep tonight, so I took out my headphones and plugged them into the HiFi in the living room, thinking to hear some classical. Then while it was playing, I found that my phones were making the furniture shake!
eek.gif
I was like, '**** I knew these suckers had bass extension, but this...!' I was about ready to post here asking whether you need to worry about room acoustics when your headphones make your furniture shake
eek.gif

Then I took off my phones and found that the loudspeakers were playing
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm surprised nobody in the house had come out of the bedroom to give me living hell
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 1, 2001 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 27
Constantly happens to me... I think I hear the phone ringing, but its something in my music... I think someone is about to enter my room, but its my music again... I thought I heard the door bell ring, nope my headphones...

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 27
I still pull that one from time to time.

My favorite one is when I let someone with no headphone experience listen to some of my phones. They inevitably crank up the volume, get a smile on their face, then grab me by the arm and yell in my face "HEY, THESE REALLY SOUND GREAT". They don't realize that I am not in the same soundfield that they are.

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 27
Unfortunately my out-of-body headphone experience seems to lie on the other side of the headphone-outside division from yours. (if you know what I mean
tongue.gif
If it were on the same side I should be going like 'hey aren't the loudspeakers playing? Why's everything shaking?
eek.gif
) I hope I'll cross over to your side of illusions after I upgrade my equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 1, 2001 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 27
LOL, pretty wacky experiences. Mine involved my Yamaha headphones and a blast of wind that blew them right off my head! Very scary!

George

Dec 1, 2001 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 27
well, radiohead gives me the creeps sometimes!!!

I mean, I listen with my eyes closed or not, senn hd580s, cmoy. The soundstage is so enormous, I hear stuff OUTSIDE the phones. I mean, sometimes I have to take em off, just to make sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Other times, I do a quick spin, since I think its coming behind me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Constantly happens to me... I think I hear the phone ringing, but its something in my music... I think someone is about to enter my room, but its my music again... I thought I heard the door bell ring, nope my headphones...

Try listening to Pink Floyd (The Wall or Welcome to the Machine) at midnight with Etys, alone in your room.

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 27
yeah, sometimes I hear the wind blowing or somthing, or I'm like "is it raining?", but its just sounds from the CD. love it when that happens
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 27
I was out this morning for my walk and I was listening to the Beatles compilation Red Album.

Yellow Submarine abou 1/3 in has the sound of a submarine motor or at least that's what it's supposed to be.

Anyway, HD600's, TA and pcdp and this sound seemed to be coming from way above my head. I turned in circles looking up for a plane or chopper, airports about a mile away, until I got so dizzy I almost fell into the swamp beside the road. It finally dawned what I was hearing and I felt rather foolish. Several neihbors were obviously wondering what was wrong with me. I got a little red and walked off.

Dec 2, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 27
Pink Floyd The Final Cut - "Southampton Dock"

0:54 into this song there is a ships horn in the background. The first time I heard this song I swore that there was a train going by. I then relised it was the music, went back to where it was, and still turned around when I heard it. This cd has some great outside the head, there isn't really a track without something that makes me want to turn and look. The begining of the cd is quite good, with cars going by. (actualy I'm listening to it now and just took off my phones to see if there really were kids behind me, nope)

Other times I've been sitting reading while listening to music and people can't get my attention. One person walked all the way up tome and touch my hand. I nearly broke his arm before I knew what I was doing, he scared me that much. He later said I had a combination of a deer-in-headlights look and a move-and-you-will-die look, I had an adrealine rush for five mins after that, whew....

Dec 2, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 27
The time: 3AM

The headphones: My beloved HD600s, with my not quite beloved but still nice Airhead to drive them.

The music: Holst, the planets

I just started the setup up (I plugged the airhead into the RCA outs of the CD player, then turned the reciever on out of habit, and turned the volume up a bit, but I forgot to turn the speakers off - so the speaker light was on, but nothing was plugged into the reciever.

The airhead was set a little bit on the loud side, and as the music started playing I jumped to my feet, stepped on the headphone cord, ripped the headphones off my head, and they fell onto a semi-soft object, I tripped, and crashed on the floor. I then realized the speakers weren't playing anything, and then plopped myself back in the chair and listened to the most majestic audio hour of my life. And on several occasions, I double checked to see if the speakers weren't making any sound.

Dec 2, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 27
Often I find the best headphone experience to be in the bed, trying to sleep. Nothing is disturbing you, you are not distracted... just music... and everything is so, so... well I don't know the right word to use
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 27
I get plenty of headphone experiences with Ety's...its one phone that transcends sound reproduction to a sound experience for me. I also think I hear the phone or people sometimes with Ety's but realize I'm being paranoid...and that I'm probably missing phones and doorbells without ever knowing it anyways.

Oh and one time I listened to Ety's and didn't know the Speakers were on pretty darn loud and late til ummm someone had to come in and tell me hehe.

I am also suprised about how often FM radio stations like to use spatialized "holographic" sound bites especially in advertisements that seem very headphone-oriented.

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 27
i've been so convinced that i've heard the doorbell before while wearing my phones that i took them off, went downstairs and answered the door. of course, nobody was there........

Dec 5, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 27
Gorgon_123, I've done the same thing. It's hard to believe that these phones can make things sound so real.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chych

Often I find the best headphone experience to be in the bed, trying to sleep. Nothing is disturbing you, you are not distracted... just music... and everything is so, so... well I don't know the right word to use

The word is Perfect. Speaking of which, I'm going to do that right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back