"Crash" won an Oscar???
Mar 6, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

The 2 black guys walking through the rich neighborhood are surprised & offended that white people are afraid of them, and then they car jack someone?
Was that supposed to be a joke? What?

I took that ( and most of the movie) as being the filmaker trying to show all perspectives, and all sides of the story.

Quote:

That sort of stuff is unbeliveable to me, but it was portrayed it as usual racial probelms.
If that sort of thing isn't unbelieveable or far-fetched where you live, I don't want to go anywhere near there.

Stay away from my neighbourhood then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #47 of 64
My .02 cents on last night's Oscars *SPOILER ALERT*:

Although I thought "Brokeback Mountain" was going to take most of the big awards, I was glad "Crash" got the award for Best Picture. Granted that it wasn't unbelievably great and the script simple and easy to attack, it was the resonance of the character's situations that won people over. I did feel the impact of many of scenes, particularly when Ryan Philippe mistakenly shot Larenz Tate for pulling out a weapon, and then dumping his body and burning his car, remembering the harsh realities embedded in Matt Dillon's advice on being a veteran cop. Even the unexpected performances by Sandra Bullock and Chris "Ludacris" Bridges should receive some merit. The only real big disagreement I have with an award and the right winner is the Award for Best Cinematography, as it should be given, IMHO, to Rodrigo Prieto for "Brokeback Mountain." He did some amazing work for other amazing films, such as "21 Grams," "25th Hour," and "Frida." All the other awards were well deserved, with the slight exception for Lead Actress and Supporting Actress. If Reese Witherspoon wasn't such a darling to the public, it would've been given to Felicity Huffman for "Transamerica." Rachel Weisz gives an immensely strong performance in "The Constant Gardener," but Michelle Williams really gave an unforgettable performance in "Brokeback Mountain," most notably in the kitchen when discussing with Dennis Elmar about his "fishing trips" with Jack Swift, distraught at not being given the truth, even after years of isolation after the dissolution of their marriage. The best moment of the ceremony was when Robert Altman recieved this year's Honorary Oscar. The guy is my hero, and really deserves the honor for making such landmark films like "M*A*S*H" and "Nashville." Jon Stewart did okay as a host, though he was playing a balancing act between being classy and just outright fiendish (if you want to see a dirty award show, the Independent Spirit Awards is the ticket, though there's definitely some out there that are even dirtier, but with no television coverage).

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Really? How many would you like?
It has been a few months since I saw it, but....

When Sandra's character was screaming out loud about not trusting the Hispanic man who was changing the locks, and demanding they be changed again the next morining (even before he was done with the job?).
Racists are cowards. In reality, she would have never said that loud enough for him to hear. If she was that upset about him doing the job, shouldn't they have called someone else before he started?
Didn't make sense to me.

The 2 black guys walking through the rich neighborhood are surprised & offended that white people are afraid of them, and then they car jack someone?

A cop that molests the woman with 2 witnesses watching in a clearly lit area? The couple they pulled over were cooperating and not giving the cop a hard time. Whay was he so mad? His anger was out of proprtion to his actions.

That sort of stuff is unbeliveable to me, but it was portrayed it as usual racial probelms.
If that sort of thing isn't unbelieveable or far-fetched where you live, I don't want to go anywhere near there.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Well if you analyze any movie that much you will find situations that are unbelievable or far-fetched

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
It's hard to be a pimp.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I couldent believe that won. And i listen to and like rap music but that song is just garbage. I wasent expecting it to win at all, i think thats the first ever rap song to win an oscar.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #52 of 64
The one thing about the Hustle and Flow songs was that they were shown all throughout the creative process. Listening to them alone might not be impressive but watching them from start to finish was pretty darn cool, and something fairly original in a movie.

Thinking back on it Crash may have been the best movie I saw all year (didn't see Brokeback), but that doesn't say much. I still really want to see Capote but it seems that I"ve now completely missed it in theatres. DVD should be soonish though.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #54 of 64
****WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS****

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Really? How many would you like?
It has been a few months since I saw it, but....

When Sandra's character was screaming out loud about not trusting the Hispanic man who was changing the locks, and demanding they be changed again the next morining (even before he was done with the job?).
Racists are cowards. In reality, she would have never said that loud enough for him to hear. If she was that upset about him doing the job, shouldn't they have called someone else before he started?
Didn't make sense to me.

Not far fetched at all. She had just been carjacked, and she was also pretty much a b*tch, as even she comes to realize in the end. Besides, I didn't view her objection as racism, but rather stereotyping. I had no problem whatsoever with that premise.

Quote:

Yeah, it was supposed to be a joke, particularly to them (the carjackers). It's called irony.

Quote:

A cop that molests the woman with 2 witnesses watching in a clearly lit area? The couple they pulled over were cooperating and not giving the cop a hard time. Whay was he so mad? His anger was out of proprtion to his actions.

Seriously? I don't know where you live, but I happen to run into these types of people every day. Lot's of anger and hate, and for no good reason. Now I don't condone it, but I could at least see where the cop's anger came from, considering the story about his father. Did you actually watch the movie?

Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif

Sorry to say it is a "usual racial problem" (at least the anger and hate) and happens all the time where I live. To believe anything else would be naive.

Having said that, I liked the movie, but I also happen to think that "American History X" was a masterpiece. While "Crash" may seem to be over-the-top at times (to you), the whole purpose was to get the viewer to take a good look at themselves, and on that level, it worked, IMO.

As far as whether or not "Crash" deserved to win the Oscar over the others, I can't say since I didn't see any of them.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #56 of 64
I haven't seen it yet, but I did see the famous Cronenberg film called -Crash-. Is the new -Crash- that won the award somehow related to the old -Crash- or is it just that they jacked the title?

I wonder if you have to pay copyright royalties to swipe a movie title?

confused.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
I haven't seen it yet, but I did see the famous Cronenberg film called -Crash-. Is the new -Crash- that won the award somehow related to the old -Crash- or is it just that they jacked the title?

I wonder if you have to pay copyright royalties to swipe a movie title?

confused.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about this. I'd never heard of "Crash" until the Oscar noms, though. That's how out of it I am. Now the only films I seem to be interested in are B&Ws from the 40s and 50s.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #59 of 64
Off thread but for those who saw the Oscars, who do you think was the most beautiful woman there? In the last few years for me it has been Charlize Theron, but this year I have to give it to either Michelle Williams or Keira Knightley. I think they were simply stunning and breathtaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back