crap..too many choices at chinese restaurants
Apr 6, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #31 of 55
I'm lucky to live close to a very good authentic szechuan Chinese restaurant called Panda Garden. They serve several western dishes, but have a separate Chinese menu you can ask for with all of the authentic dishes.
Some of my favorites:
Panda Beef: house special, very spicy
Twice Cooked Pork
Szechuan Beef
Red Hot Dumplings
Szechuan Noodles

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Yes, mainly rice and whatever mom feels like cooking. :p Varies from day to day. Could be Char Siu one day, or Hong Ba another... and a veggie dish. Also depends... could be complex or simple.

Edit:

Damn right. You live in Richmond... probably know more places than I do
biggrin.gif

Ever eat at Shanghai Garden or Tsim Tsai Noodles, the one on Alexandra Road? Some good chicken knees at the latter.

I don't like Tsim Tsai Noodles, I prefer "Ho Yuen" near Yaohan.

EDIT: Oops, I thought you meant Shanghai River, not Shanghai Garden. Are they the same? Don't know where Shanghai Garden is (I might know the Canto name)
I also don't like Shanghai River.. horrible service, and the only thing good are the 'Bruce Lee
biggrin.gif
' dumplings. The best Shanghai IMO in Richmond is 'Yut Jak Ding' right across the street from the Shoppers Drug Mart in Richmond Center.

For Cantonese, the best formal dinner restaurant for sure is Fisherman's Terrace in the new Aberdeen Centre. Our family is crazy about food, since my dad's an ex master chef. He used to head the restaurant "Malaysia Hong Kong Cafe" on No. 3 road (his brother owned it).

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I almost always get General Tsao's Chicken, myself.

What do you need 3 entrees for 1911? Isn't one enough? Lol

oops.. i guess i wasnt clear and now i seem like a hog...you know the combination platters where you pick 3 items? that was what i meant not 3 whole entrees
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I don't like Tsim Tsai Noodles, I prefer "Ho Yuen" near Yaohan.

EDIT: Oops, I thought you meant Shanghai River, not Shanghai Garden. Are they the same? Don't know where Shanghai Garden is (I might know the Canto name)
I also don't like Shanghai River.. horrible service, and the only thing good are the 'Bruce Lee
biggrin.gif
' dumplings. The best Shanghai IMO in Richmond is 'Yut Jak Ding' right across the street from the Shoppers Drug Mart in Richmond Center.

For Cantonese, the best formal dinner restaurant for sure is Fisherman's Terrace in the new Aberdeen Centre. Our family is crazy about food, since my dad's an ex master chef. He used to head the restaurant "Malaysia Hong Kong Cafe" on No. 3 road (his brother owned it).

You're right, it is Shanghai River. Forgot the "English" name!

I'll take a look at these other restaurants... should be good for Sunday dinner.
tongue.gif
Tsim Tsai, I like the congee with the silverfish sprout and chicken knees. There's also this congee/noodle house on Main that is quite good... Bah, only know them by Canto/Chinese name and I forget how to spell them
tongue.gif

We've got to compare notes sometimes. Ever tried the Hunan restaurant at Marine @ Main?

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
shark fins soup
Black Bean Oyster
Steamed black sea bass
Abalone
roasted lamb

great choices here, though i havent seen lamb in a chinese restaurant

i start off by selecting type of meat (beef vs pork vs fish, etc), and then checking out the sides or items that its cooked with... thats how i narrow down choices

or sometimes i just ask the waiter for his favorite dish of xxx type of meat

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Bah, all these banana dishes. Get some real Chinese food, folks! Like... pig intestines, squab, mapo tofu or Niu Rou Mien! And yes, most Americanized Chinese food is fried/stir-fried, which is not that healthy.

People actually want to eat that stuff?
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

You're right, it is Shanghai River. Forgot the "English" name!

I'll take a look at these other restaurants... should be good for Sunday dinner.
tongue.gif
Tsim Tsai, I like the congee with the silverfish sprout and chicken knees. There's also this congee/noodle house on Main that is quite good... Bah, only know them by Canto/Chinese name and I forget how to spell them
tongue.gif

We've got to compare notes sometimes. Ever tried the Hunan restaurant at Marine @ Main?

Heh.. I don't ever dine in Vancouver, so I only know Richmond.
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
tongue.gif

Yep! Tasty!

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

tongue.gif

Hey, mapo tofu is killer with some steamed broccoli in a spicy Szechuan sauce... :drool:

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

tongue.gif

I love duck tongue!

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #42 of 55
Pig ears and cow nose gets my vote, along with all sorts of internals: tripe, fish stomach, tendons etc.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #43 of 55
Chicken feet and roast pig feet. And of course all the internal stuff that I can't really identify yet.
rolleyes.gif

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the veggie dishes yet. Where's the baby bak choi, tong sum choi, gai laan, eggplants, etc.

There's some good soups too, shark fin, sea cucumber, fish stomach... fu tiao chaung (sp?) anyone?
icon10.gif

Now I'm hungry....

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
..I have subscribed to the thread ..
I've nothing very worth to say though as all chinese restaurants are very different one from the other ( dishes are quite the very same names , taste can vary from "ok" to very repellent though )
there's probably too much of oil and soya around , and fried , for me at least ..

I've been said normal chinese people do not eat this various (hundreds dishes) in china normally ; they use a lot of rice - everyday base - and little of something else as plug in
don't know much about riches chinese uses though

in china most people eat rice ,but ,in the north china ,people is prefer to the noodle and the faver, so they vary much

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #45 of 55
Philadelphia steak & cheese sandwich in Philly
Corned beef, cole slaw, russian dressing sandwich at NYC delis
Italian food at Boston's North End

I'll even take a Swordfish kabob with rice pilaf at Fanueil Hall over all that fancy schmancy Chinese food.

Lunchtime now. Unfortunately, more Chinese food, blech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back