crap..too many choices at chinese restaurants
Apr 6, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 55
..I have subscribed to the thread ..
I've nothing very worth to say though as all chinese restaurants are very different one from the other ( dishes are quite the very same names , taste can vary from "ok" to very repellent though )
there's probably too much of oil and soya around , and fried , for me at least ..

I've been said normal chinese people do not eat this various (hundreds dishes) in china normally ; they use a lot of rice - everyday base - and little of something else as plug in
don't know much about riches chinese uses though

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
..I have subscribed to the thread ..
I've nothing very worth to say though as all chinese are very different one from the other ( dishes are quite the very same names , taste can vary from "ok" to very repellent though
confused.gif

and there's too much of oil , and fried , for me at least ..

I've been said chinese people do not eatthis various (hundreds) dishes in china normally ; they use a lot of rice - everyday base - and little of something else as plug in

Most western-chinese dishes are fried or stir fried, hence why it's so greasy.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
what about the brown sauce over the egg foo young? or is it better not to ask what that is made of?

We served a basic gravy over our egg foo young. If I recall correctly, it was a roux, with chicken broth, some brown gravy concentrate, a little oyster sauce, white wine, and cornstarch at the end if it wasn't thick enough...

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 55
Bah, all these banana dishes. Get some real Chinese food, folks! Like... pig intestines, squab, mapo tofu or Niu Rou Mien! And yes, most Americanized Chinese food is fried/stir-fried, which is not that healthy.

Whoever comes to visit Vancouver, set up a meeting with me and I will show you authentic Chinese cuisine, either at my mom's place or outside! Szechuan food so hot your tongue goes numb!

EDIT:

My favorite for lunch is normally Niu Rou Mien, or Char Kway Teow. The latter is more of a Singaporean dish than real Chinese, but I lived there for 2 years so there! And if it's rice, mapo tofu or Ngau Yuk (beef tendons) to go with it.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Bah, all these banana dishes. Get some real Chinese food, folks! Like... pig intestines, or Niu Rou Mien! And yes, most Americanized Chinese food is fried/stir-fried, which is not that healthy.

Whoever comes to visit Vancouver, set up a meeting with me and I will show you authentic Chinese cuisine, either at my mom's place or outside! Szechuan food so hot your tongue goes numb!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Bah, all these banana dishes. Get some real Chinese food, folks! Like... pig intestines, or Niu Rou Mien! And yes, most Americanized Chinese food is fried/stir-fried, which is not that healthy.

Is it true so that you use lot of rice on everyday base pairing it with (what?) meat and vegetables ?

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
real chinese food? how about some taiwanese street food while we're at it? stinky tofu, pork blood cakes, mmmmmmm.....that might be challenging for some people.

OMG, I LOVE STINKY TOFU! My parents are from taiwan, we go to taiwan cafe to eat in Chinatown....

I also love Mapo Tofu... (mentioned earlier in this thread)...

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
real chinese food? how about some taiwanese street food while we're at it? stinky tofu, pork blood cakes, mmmmmmm.....that might be challenging for some people.

Been there done that...

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Is it true so that you use lot of rice on everyday base pairing it with (what?) meat and vegetables ?

For dinner at home, it's usually side dishes + a bowl of rice.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Yes, mainly rice and whatever mom feels like cooking. :p Varies from day to day. Could be Char Siu one day, or Hong Ba another... and a veggie dish. Also depends... could be complex or simple.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok

very_evil_smiley.gif

Damn right. You live in Richmond... probably know more places than I do
biggrin.gif

Ever eat at Shanghai Garden or Tsim Tsai Noodles, the one on Alexandra Road? Some good chicken knees at the latter.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #29 of 55
I like it enormously
in fact me and my family are used to eat this way (/ lot of rice , or bowls , and 1/2 topping , or side , of cooked meat&vegetables )

:goes in the bathroom to check in the mirror if he's chinese or What:

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #30 of 55
Three Cup Sauce Chicken! Mmmmmm... Just about any duck dish is always a good bet. A buddy of mine is crazy about chicken feet. I didn't see the appeal. Taste ok but really just skin. But for me, I love anything that has red bean in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back