crap..too many choices at chinese restaurants
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Lunchtime now. Unfortunately, more Chinese food, blech.

Easy for you to say. I only get decent Chinese food once every few months.
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #47 of 55
Why only once every few months?

I've had good Chinese food in the SF Bay Area and LA. I thought some of the medium-priced Cantonese restaurants in SF were as good as the ones in Hong Kong, and Shanghainese as good as in Taiwan or Shanghai. It's hard to beat the fresh seafood in HK, though it is very expensive.

Many smaller supermarkets focusing on Asian groceries in the US also have most things available in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #48 of 55
Amen. Coastal cities in NA rock for seafood. Fresh fresh fresh!

Great for sushi, and live drunken prawn.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Why only once every few months?

The closest place to get decent, authentic Chinese food is nearly an hour away and that would mean taking the 10 freeway into either LA or Monterey Park. I suppose if I wasn't so picky there is a Panda Express down the street.
rolleyes.gif
Also, I am a poor, jobless, grad student. It's difficult enough trying to keep my food budget under $100 a month without Top Ramen running through my veins.
tongue.gif

Sadly I don't think there's even an Asian market within 20 miles of where I am.
frown.gif

Every once in a while I'll decide to screw the can/dry/frozen food for the weekend and go grab some real food but it's a rare occassion.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #52 of 55
If you’ve never been to a Chinese restaurant before, the typical popular items are egg roll, beef broccoli, fried rice and Lo mein noodles. If they have fried chicken wings, that’s usually pretty decent too.

If you decide that you want to eat authentic Chinese food, you will probably have to go alone often to a big city Chinatown . By human nature most people are closed minded and will not expand their palates. None of my friends or family are interested In authentic foods from other cultures so be prepared to eat alone. The reward is that you will have more fun with future restaurant adventures and you will never get bored with food.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #53 of 55
I've seen some videos of authentic Chinese food and I probably wouldn't dig it. I prefer American style Chinese. Fried rice and egg foo young baby! Hot pots are really good. Forgot about this one.

Personally don't like it when so much oil in food, seems fattening.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #54 of 55
For me the best Chinese is the Cantonese category like the dim sum, steamed fresh fish, steamed dumplings, clams, oysters, lobster with ginger scallion sauce, duck with rice, duck noodle soup and even the simple boiled chicken with the ginger sauce.

Other items like the Beijing jianbing which is a crepe and the Fujian Gua boa ( pork belly sandwich ) the legendary hand stretched noodles, soup dumplings, (dumplings with liquid inside).... etc.

While these items may sound weird, it’s actually not weird food. A lot of these items have inspired non Chinese top chefs and generally loved in the foodie world/aficionados but still relatively unknown in the mainstream.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #55 of 55
For me the best Chinese is the Cantonese category like the dim sum, steamed fresh fish, steamed dumplings, clams, oysters, lobster with ginger scallion sauce, duck with rice, duck noodle soup and even the simple boiled chicken with the ginger sauce.

Other items like the Beijing jianbing which is a crepe and the Fujian Gua boa ( pork belly sandwich ) the legendary hand stretched noodles, soup dumplings, (dumplings with liquid inside).... etc.

While these items may sound weird, it’s actually not weird food. A lot of these items have inspired non Chinese top chefs and generally loved in the foodie world/aficionados but still relatively unknown in the mainstream.
Maybe it's the Cantonese Chinese I tend to like. I've seen some unsanitary meat practices and questionable stuff they use for serving food. Dimsum is good, and I do like Chinese seafoods.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back