crap.. I dont know what I want to do after HS!- I do now
May 29, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do what you want, if you're not sure, take some time off and maybe travel a bit.

Cheers,

I also recommend against taking time off to travel after high school. Go learn something and move forward with your life. You just graduated, you don't have any money to travel. Despite what some have said, there is an actual, empirical, substantive difference between those who have a college degree and those that don't. To quote: "According to the Census Bureau, over an adult's working life, high school graduates earn an average of $1.2 million; associate's degree holders earn about $1.6 million; and bachelor's degree holders earn about $2.1 million (Day and Newburger, 2002)."

Go to college -- any accredited four year college -- and figure out what you're doing while you're there. You'll probably change your mind.

May 29, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Economics teacher has always HEAVILY (and I mean HEAVILY) advised against taking the "I'll take a year (or a few months or whatever) off after HS to decide what I want." She said that she's seen it ruin TONS of kids as they have a hard time getting back into the mood for school/learning/work and tend to either not go to college or end up doing poorly. She said that if you're somewhat unsure you should still enroll in the college and think about it why you are doing GEs.

Ding!

Yeah, I was going to take a year off to travel or whatever. Not that I ever traveled...

I've been out of high school for 4 years and I'm just NOW getting back to school. It's going to suck rewiring my brain for school again.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #48 of 58
I emailed Columbia about 4 days ago asking if I could send them a CD with some of my work on it to better my chances of getting in the fall semester and this was the email they replied back with today

Quote:

You have already been admitted into the college and your acceptance letter is on the way.

Best,

Columbia Admissions

My first and only college I applied to (and I researched a lot of art schools) and I got accepted!
cool.gif

I was getting worried about what I'm going to do because I didn't think they would accept me because I applied late (past the deadline I think).

I'm just surprised is all!
rs1smile.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #49 of 58
I don't mean to distract from this thread, but apparently the reminder is necessary. Political discussions are not allowed here. I deleted a couple posts, but I edited more of them since they were not primarily political but contained political content (even if just a response to a prior political post). So don't be too surprised if your post was edited, but if it was and you want more specific details, you may PM me.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed Columbia about 4 days ago asking if I could send them a CD with some of my work on it to better my chances of getting in the fall semester and this was the email they replied back with today

My first and only college I applied to (and I researched a lot of art schools) and I got accepted!
cool.gif

I was getting worried about what I'm going to do because I didn't think they would accept me because I applied late (past the deadline I think).

I'm just surprised is all!
rs1smile.gif

And that, my friends, is why you shouldn't listen to other Head-fiers
evil_smiley.gif
Congrats on getting in under the wire to an Ivy! Chalk it up to chutzpah (and talent!)

Edit - my sister went to Brown for Art Semiotics and Columbia grad for Film School. So funny, she could care less about the Ivys, but hey if she could get her artistic mojo satisfied and get the folks off her back at the same time, why not?

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that, my friends, is why you shouldn't listen to other Head-fiers
evil_smiley.gif
Congrats on getting in under the wire to an Ivy! Chalk it up to chutzpah (and talent!)

Edit - my sister went to Brown for Art Semiotics and Columbia grad for Film School. So funny, she could care less about the Ivys, but hey if she could get her artistic mojo satisfied and get the folks off her back at the same time, why not?

Jahn, if you read the thread, you would know that he did not apply to the Columbia University in NYC. He applied to Columbia College in Chicago.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jahn, if you read the thread, you would know that he did not apply to the Columbia University in NYC. He applied to Columbia College in Chicago.

ooooooooooooooooh.

well, college is college, beats not going if you wanna go, right? congrats!

Jun 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #53 of 58
I don't think I could afford the New York one lol

but this is what I want to do.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I could afford the New York one lol

but this is what I want to do.

oops didn't mean to come off sounding like "ooooh it's not an Ivy i'm a snob." i meant it like "oooh i'm a dummy for not reading the whole thread"
smily_headphones1.gif

best of both worlds for you, i'm serious - you have conviction to go to that school, and now you're going to go! no downside! i went to a non-Ivy just FYI, and i just knew it was the right fit for me after visiting - and you know what? it was! still have fond thoughts about that place.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #57 of 58
i'm through 3 years of my bio degree in college and now have decided to double major with psychology... i still have no idea what to do and i have what? ~2 months to decide if i want to apply to graduate school or med school or what not

frown.gif

but seriously, enjoy your life with things you WANT to do (just try to get paid for it!). i think that's what sums up my experience the last 2-3 years

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #58 of 58
Congrats on figuring out what you want, and thanks for inspring me to think about what I'd like to do in my life. I decided a few weeks ago that I want to go into psychiatry. Seems to highly interest me, and now that I've actually thought about it, I think I want to do it. I just now realized that this is what inspired me to think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back