crap. I did it.
post-192930
Post #1 of 12

onex

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I must be insane. Now i have lived with those HD 490 from Sennheiser for quite a while. It all started with reading a review of those sony ex-70. The writer said that the ex-70 was the best in-ear thing ever made.... I never had a head-fi fettich, but in a few days i ended up in this forum........ AND i read about those ety's.... AND NOW I HAVE BOUGHT THEM.... after just 2 days... i got brainwashed by this forum.... all telling me that the er-4s/p was the one and only to have...

But actually i feel good today. Looking forward to recieve the ER4p. Hope they are worth it!

Cheers to all of you and thanx for this GREAT GREAT forum!!!

Newer did now until yesterday that the world had so many good headphones! hehe

post-192935
Post #2 of 12

pedxing

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Your purchase decision may have been a very wise decision. Many people on this forum have purchased cheaper headphones, only to waste more money hopping from one small upgrade to the next. I sometimes wished that I bought the ER-4P instead of the ER-6.

post-192939
Post #3 of 12

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Reaction score
Leave this addiction now before it get's out of hand! You've tasted the sweetness but I assure you you'll want more! And your bank manger won't forgive you but your credit card company will love you!

post-192941
Post #4 of 12

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
onex,

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet. (standard greeting)

post-192948
Post #5 of 12

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
Your purchase decision may have been a very wise decision. Many people on this forum have purchased cheaper headphones, only to waste more money hopping from one small upgrade to the next. I sometimes wished that I bought the ER-4P instead of the ER-6.

I totally agree 100%, because that is exactly what has happened to me over the last 4 years. You absolutely can "waste" a lot of money trying too many cheap headphones and components and getting stuck with them.

post-192953
Post #6 of 12

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Reaction score
Everyone needs to have some lousy HPs. How can you judge what is good if you don't have experience with bad?

For many a lot of the cheaper models fit the bill. Even though I would like the isolation I will not bring my Etys to the gym. I listen instead to a pair or cheap Aiwa earbuds.

post-193014
Post #7 of 12

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
onex:

Welcome aboard! I must say, good choice! I wished I had splurged for the ER4P's initially. It's definately less expensive and less frustrating to make the jump and buy good cans first.

But, less expensive is relative! Now that you've got good headphones, it's time to start working on some amps, upgraded source.... and so it goes. The Etys are so revealing that you may begin to notice problems/areas for improvement in the rest of your system.

If you decide to get an amp, it would make a lot of sense to get the "S" adapter cable. Hard to believe, but it definately improves the sound (when fed appropriate quality material). Headroom has the offical adapter cable from Etymotic or you could try Fixup's cable (www.fixup.net). It's a simple plug that goes on the end of the Ety cord (like an extension). Simple and easy but results in better/different sound.

As elnero said, "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet."

Bruce

post-193022
Post #8 of 12

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
...and to think...it took me a whole 6 months of addiction until i bought the Ety's.

got my 4P's yesterday (see post below)..you will NOT be disappointed.

this is viral marketing at it's best...Ety sales must be growing exponentially!

post-193044
Post #9 of 12

Peddler

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Website
sites.google.com
Drink deep of my blood brother - you are one of us now!!!

post-193060
Post #10 of 12

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Reaction score
good lord! You're worse than most of us! At that rate, in a week, you'll be 10 thousand dollars poorer!

post-193065
Post #11 of 12

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Everyone needs to have some lousy HPs. How can you judge what is good if you don't have experience with bad?

For many a lot of the cheaper models fit the bill. Even though I would like the isolation I will not bring my Etys to the gym. I listen instead to a pair or cheap Aiwa earbuds.

John,

I definitely agree. Sometimes the cheaper models do fit the bill like you said, and sometimes those cheaper ones are better than some models that cost more.

I've had or heard a lot of good and bad models from the HD600 down to the various $20 ones.

But, I did notice that better amps can make some of those cheaper headphones sound a lot better.

post-193070
Post #12 of 12

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb

I will take issue with that myself. I've tried all of the open earbuds... I couldn't hear anything at all out of those buds above the extremely loud ambient noise (the gym where I go to keeps on blasting dance music at LOUD nightclub levels). So, cheap open earbuds are out in this situation due to the fact that they provide absolutely NO isolation at all whatsoever. So are all open-air headphones, as a matter of fact.

As for cheap plug-type canalphones, I often find those inadequate in isolation, as well.
I REALLY need at least as much isolation as the Etys provide just to even enjoy my workout there!

So, maybe I will let my membership expire - and will probably not renew my membership there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)