crap. I did it.
Oct 10, 2002 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

onex

New Head-Fier
I must be insane. Now i have lived with those HD 490 from Sennheiser for quite a while. It all started with reading a review of those sony ex-70. The writer said that the ex-70 was the best in-ear thing ever made.... I never had a head-fi fettich, but in a few days i ended up in this forum........ AND i read about those ety's.... AND NOW I HAVE BOUGHT THEM.... after just 2 days... i got brainwashed by this forum.... all telling me that the er-4s/p was the one and only to have...

But actually i feel good today. Looking forward to recieve the ER4p. Hope they are worth it!

Cheers to all of you and thanx for this GREAT GREAT forum!!!

Newer did now until yesterday that the world had so many good headphones! hehe
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 12
Your purchase decision may have been a very wise decision. Many people on this forum have purchased cheaper headphones, only to waste more money hopping from one small upgrade to the next. I sometimes wished that I bought the ER-4P instead of the ER-6.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 12
onex,

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet. (standard greeting)

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
Your purchase decision may have been a very wise decision. Many people on this forum have purchased cheaper headphones, only to waste more money hopping from one small upgrade to the next. I sometimes wished that I bought the ER-4P instead of the ER-6.

I totally agree 100%, because that is exactly what has happened to me over the last 4 years. You absolutely can "waste" a lot of money trying too many cheap headphones and components and getting stuck with them.

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Everyone needs to have some lousy HPs. How can you judge what is good if you don't have experience with bad?

For many a lot of the cheaper models fit the bill. Even though I would like the isolation I will not bring my Etys to the gym. I listen instead to a pair or cheap Aiwa earbuds.

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 12
onex:

Welcome aboard! I must say, good choice! I wished I had splurged for the ER4P's initially. It's definately less expensive and less frustrating to make the jump and buy good cans first.

But, less expensive is relative! Now that you've got good headphones, it's time to start working on some amps, upgraded source.... and so it goes. The Etys are so revealing that you may begin to notice problems/areas for improvement in the rest of your system.

If you decide to get an amp, it would make a lot of sense to get the "S" adapter cable. Hard to believe, but it definately improves the sound (when fed appropriate quality material). Headroom has the offical adapter cable from Etymotic or you could try Fixup's cable (www.fixup.net). It's a simple plug that goes on the end of the Ety cord (like an extension). Simple and easy but results in better/different sound.

As elnero said, "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet."

Bruce

Oct 10, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 12
...and to think...it took me a whole 6 months of addiction until i bought the Ety's.
smily_headphones1.gif

got my 4P's yesterday (see post below)..you will NOT be disappointed.

this is viral marketing at it's best...Ety sales must be growing exponentially!

Oct 10, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Everyone needs to have some lousy HPs. How can you judge what is good if you don't have experience with bad?

For many a lot of the cheaper models fit the bill. Even though I would like the isolation I will not bring my Etys to the gym. I listen instead to a pair or cheap Aiwa earbuds.

John,

I definitely agree. Sometimes the cheaper models do fit the bill like you said, and sometimes those cheaper ones are better than some models that cost more.

I've had or heard a lot of good and bad models from the HD600 down to the various $20 ones.

But, I did notice that better amps can make some of those cheaper headphones sound a lot better.

Oct 10, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb

I will take issue with that myself. I've tried all of the open earbuds... I couldn't hear anything at all out of those buds above the extremely loud ambient noise (the gym where I go to keeps on blasting dance music at LOUD nightclub levels). So, cheap open earbuds are out in this situation due to the fact that they provide absolutely NO isolation at all whatsoever. So are all open-air headphones, as a matter of fact.

As for cheap plug-type canalphones, I often find those inadequate in isolation, as well.
frown.gif
I REALLY need at least as much isolation as the Etys provide just to even enjoy my workout there!

So, maybe I will let my membership expire - and will probably not renew my membership there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back