Crackling sound linux and whats the sample rate of the iBasso D2 expecting?
Apr 18, 2008 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wired00

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there just wondering if anyone knows what sample rate the ibasso D2 is expecting via USB?

Im using it with linux (ubuntu) but am having a common known issue where USB devices crackle under load. I've read details about making sure you match the ALSA output sample rate. ie 44Khz or 48Khz... etc. Im not sure what it uses and don't have the data sheet handy.

anyone know?

Also, anyone else experiencing this problem?

cheers

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 17
What player are you using?

I run Ubuntu 7.04 and use Audacious (XMMS and Beep Media Player are basically the same thing), and I have no issues. All I did was set the output device in my player's preferences to the USB audio DAC rather than the regular sound card. If you're using something different and still can't get your player of choice working, I'd suggest trying one of the three I mentioned. Out of curiosity, I tried getting it to work in Amarok, but with no success.

Mine should be set to the default 44.1 KHz, I believe. I haven't changed it, at least not on purpose anyway. I'm not at my main lappy right now, so I don't know for certain. I'll check it later and let you know what it is.

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What player are you using?

I run Ubuntu 7.04 and use Audacious (XMMS and Beep Media Player are basically the same thing), and I have no issues. All I did was set the output device in my player's preferences to the USB audio DAC rather than the regular sound card. If you're using something different and still can't get your player of choice working, I'd suggest trying one of the three I mentioned. Out of curiosity, I tried getting it to work in Amarok, but with no success.

Mine should be set to the default 44.1 KHz, I believe. I haven't changed it, at least not on purpose anyway. I'm not at my main lappy right now, so I don't know for certain. I'll check it later and let you know what it is.

hi there
smily_headphones1.gif

Im using ubuntu 8.04 with Amarok. I've also tested with Rhythmbox and Exaile

one thing though... do you have Visual Effects on Extra? System > Appearance > Visual Effects > "Extra".

I've noticed that if I turn down Visual Effects to "None" the problem goes completely away but i want to use Compiz
frown.gif

Do you know how to change the bit rate? its my next thing to try changing as soon as i figure out the d2 bitrate setting. I guess i'll try forcing it to 44.1Khz like yours

I've looked around and loads of people are having the same issue : / wonder why its fine for you if you haven't had to change the bitrate.

About to go out for the night, but will try those applications you suggested. I really like amarok though! ><

thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 17
hmm just tested audacious, and got it working with the USB audio device as output...same issue : / still crackling

i'll check it out further later tonight. thanks anyways

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there just wondering if anyone knows what sample rate the ibasso D2 is expecting via USB?

Im using it with linux (ubuntu) but am having a common known issue where USB devices crackle under load. I've read details about making sure you match the ALSA output sample rate. ie 44Khz or 48Khz... etc. Im not sure what it uses and don't have the data sheet handy.

anyone know?

Also, anyone else experiencing this problem?

cheers

I'm not sure that you are experiencing a bitrate or sampling compatibility problem. I had the same issue on my linux Zombu machine, and found the problem to be noise generated by a portable hard drive. When the drive was disconnected, the crackling sound disappeared.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 17
cheers for the help but i have nothing running externally other than the amp. Laptop is a Toshiba A200, the only HDD is the internal SATA

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 17
I have a problem that only happens on my laptop computer. I get occasional static and a popping in the left then right side, happens less when a thumb drive is plugged into the other USB. Guess my USB is screwed up, I kind of got used to it but it still sux. soryy I have no fix for you.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem that only happens on my laptop computer. I get occasional static and a popping in the left then right side, happens less when a thumb drive is plugged into the other USB. Guess my USB is screwed up, I kind of got used to it but it still sux. soryy I have no fix for you.

hmm definitely something with the USB. I've found the issue for me has something to do with USB and compiz visual effects. if i turn effects off it completely goes away. I've now found if i disable "Wobbly windows" it really reduces the crackling... i guess i'll live with it for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Ubuntu 7.04 is set up differently than 8.04...the visual effects aren't integrated with Feisty like they are with Hardy. So basically, there isn't a visual effects option in the menu.

I am, however, running Compiz Fusion with the desktop cube on a laptop, listening to my music from an external HDD. My computer has an Intel dual-core processor and 1GB RAM. I normally have 2 external HDD's connected, along with an external DVD burner, wireless mouse, and my D2...all through USB.

How much RAM does your laptop have?

Edit: Yes, mine is set to 44.1 KHz.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ubuntu 7.04 is set up differently than 8.04...the visual effects aren't integrated with Feisty like they are with Hardy. So basically, there isn't a visual effects option in the menu.

I am, however, running Compiz Fusion with the desktop cube on a laptop, listening to my music from an external HDD. My computer has an Intel dual-core processor and 1GB RAM. I normally have 2 external HDD's connected, along with an external DVD burner, wireless mouse, and my D2...all through USB.

How much RAM does your laptop have?

Edit: Yes, mine is set to 44.1 KHz.

Laptop has 2gb of ram so should be fine to handle anything i throw at it! All visual effects are smooth and not jerky or anything. so resources *shouldn't* be a problem : /

After disabling wobbly windows it has improved but theres still some crackling when scrolling through webpages or when programs are loading etc

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After disabling wobbly windows it has improved but theres still some crackling when scrolling through webpages or when programs are loading etc

Does it only do that through the DAC?

You might want to search and/or post in the Ubuntu forums about that as well.

Ubuntu Forums

Edit: HAHA, I just searched and found a thread I thought might help and was about to post it, but then I noticed that you had already posted in that thread asking about your problem! Lots of help that would've been.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 17
Yeah just testing without the dac and its fine. I've found a bunch of stuff on the ubuntu forums and elsewhere relating to this issue when using usb headphones and various other devices but nothing solving the problem. The only thing i saw mentioned was making sure the bitrate and sample rate match. but i've tried that in audacious to no avail : /

Ahh its all good i'll keep looking around someone should find a solution eventually
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for your help

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 17
Well, if you do get the problem solved, could you post it here?

I plan on upgrading to Hardy Heron probably sometime in May, so if it's found to be a software issue that is correctable, it may come in handy to me also!

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 17
I've seen the same issue with some people on previous versions too so i don't think its a software issue. I think its probably hardware related i'll have to check on my desktop and see if i get the same issue (its also running ubuntu 8.04)

I emailed iBasso and they said this:
Quote:

The native sample rate of the D2 is 24bit/196kHz,but limited by the USB connection, it only provides 16bit/48kHz.

So i wanted to make sure whatever im using is forcing output of 48Khz to the D2.

Here is what i did to improve amarok which uses xine. It seemed to improve things. there is still crackling but not as much. Im just not sure if your programs will use xine also?

edit this xine config file "xine-config" mine was located at:
"sudo pico /home/rob/.kde/share/apps/amarok/xine-config"
just use "locate xine-config"

Look for the line (ctrl+w)
"audio.synchronization.force_rate:" uncomment and change to
"audio.synchronization.force_rate:48000"

this forces xine to use that sample rate. it *seems* to improve things...

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 17
I'm not really a big fan of Amarok. It's great for people who were accustomed to using iTunes and Windows Media Player, but I was more of a Winamp guy. I gave it a fair shot and used it for a couple months, but it just wasn't for me. I still have it because it's great for transferring music to my ZVM.

I'm not sure what engine Audacious (my player) uses, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use xine.

Thanks for the info, keep me posted! I'm curious to see what you find to be the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back