Crackling noise with itunes
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus
I have searched high and low, including this forum for a solution to crackling noises when listening to itunes on my Dell Inspiron 1300 using Windows XP. I have tried the various solutions suggested re checking audio devices, re-installing and turning off sound enhancer on itunes, but no joy. The crackling is only with itunes (any and all bit rates), but not with Spotify or music off youtube or any other internet sound.

Any suggestions, links would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 54
I remember something very similar happening a couple months ago to another person. Check if this happens on other media players. btw, nice avatar!

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 54
Hi logwed. I have some tracks on Windows Media Player and using the album Filmtales by Paul Leonard-Morgan, there is crackling on itunes, but not on WMP.

(The avatar is from a Roger Dean picture.)

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 54
Do you have album art displayed while you play the music? I had a similar issue with foobar when too I used a certain customized setting because it was too graphics-intensive for my old pc. It made a weird static noise when I hovered the mouse.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 54
tried dpclat.exe ?

you could also be a victim of this : Engineering Windows 7 : Improving Audio Glitch Resilience in Windows 7

I personally can't use Chrome or FireFox3 on my XP SP3 box, apparently the Asus drivers don't work w/ a high enough priority...never had the problem w/ my previous M-Audio card
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 54
Thanks for the replies. The crackiling does not appear linked to the artwork or the mouse. leeperry, your computer speak is way over my head!

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 54
don't use iTunes? If you like its interface, there are a wide selection of alternatives that look and act similarly. I would give something like Songbird a try. I think it even plays nice with iPods, but I wouldn't know first hand.

Other (not so "iTune-y") alternatives include foobar2000, which you may or may not like, as it requires some setup to use; MediaMonkey; Winamp; hell, if WMP works good enough, go with that.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leeperry, your computer speak is way over my head

run dpclat.exe in the back for a while, and do your usual stuff...do you get any red spike?

also, try to disable smooth scrolling in IE...I know it sounds dumb, but still worth a shot
biggrin.gif

and try to elaborate on what kind of "cracking noise" we're talking about, and when does it happen?

and what's your soundcard/DAC?

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 54
I have the same problem with a Dell 1530. As far as I know, there is no fix. Dell has issued updated drivers for the MotherBoard - but to no avail. You still get the crackling and sputtering, which ruins listening to muisc on these low end Dell's.

I use a Dell 6000 at work, and I never get a sputter or the crackling sound from that motherboard.

You may have to upgrade to a higher level Dell to be free of the demon.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't use iTunes? If you like its interface, there are a wide selection of alternatives that look and act similarly. I would give something like Songbird a try. I think it even plays nice with iPods, but I wouldn't know first hand.

Other (not so "iTune-y") alternatives include foobar2000, which you may or may not like, as it requires some setup to use; MediaMonkey; Winamp; hell, if WMP works good enough, go with that.

It has crossed my mind to switch, but is there a media player that is compatible with AAC, Apple Lossless and syncs with an ipod? Or do I have to start converting files?

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
run dpclat.exe in the back for a while, and do your usual stuff...do you get any red spike?

also, try to disable smooth scrolling in IE...I know it sounds dumb, but still worth a shot
biggrin.gif

and try to elaborate on what kind of "cracking noise" we're talking about, and when does it happen?

and what's your soundcard/DAC?

No idea how to run or disable stuff! No idea what my soundcard is, but my DAC is the FubarII USB.

The crackling noise is just that, a crackling noise like electrican interference/someone scrunching up tracing paper. It happens far more with some music, such as The Beatles, Paul Leonard-Morgan and Peter Gabriel, but not at all with Audioslave. All are at different bit rates, either imported CD, bought download from itunes and Amazon, there is no correlation.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by DT770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem with a Dell 1530. As far as I know, there is no fix. Dell has issued updated drivers for the MotherBoard - but to no avail. You still get the crackling and sputtering, which ruins listening to muisc on these low end Dell's.

I use a Dell 6000 at work, and I never get a sputter or the crackling sound from that motherboard.

You may have to upgrade to a higher level Dell to be free of the demon.

I can try that, so logging off to setup my wife's more expensive Dell which has her itunes on it.

EDIT - the Dell Inspiron 6400 crackles as well.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has crossed my mind to switch, but is there a media player that is compatible with AAC, Apple Lossless and syncs with an ipod? Or do I have to start converting files?

The post you quoted had the answer (one of them) to this -> Songbird

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The post you quoted had the answer (one of them) to this -> Songbird

Thanks for that. Off to investigate Songbird.

More reading on the www has failed to find a fix. I have posted on the itunes discussion forum my unhappiness with the situation, for what it is worth. Need to blow off steam!

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 54
I believe the problem is the Dell motherboard and built-in soundcard.

If you listen long enough in Media Player (or any other app) I believe you will get the bumps in the audio stream road you have described.

I doubt is 'just iTunes' that has the problem.

Dell does sell a 'soundcard upgrade' that is not terribly expensive (around $40.00 shipped) that may solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back