Crackling noise when outputting via WASAPI in Foobar?
Jul 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

angle_sh00ter

500+ Head-Fier
Hi as the title suggests I am getting a bad crackling noise when I use WASAPI output mode in Foobar but when I change to DS I don't get the crackling noise at all.
So the obviousl answer is for me to not use WASAPI but I'm just wondering if any1 can tell me why this problem exists for me? My dac is the devilsound v2.1

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Buffer Length is currenlt 500ms but I have put it all the way down to 50ms and it made no difference.  the crackling noise is intermittent but it occurs at some point in almost all songs.  I should say that I had zero problem with using wasapi when I had my musiland 02 dac connected so that makes it even weirder.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 13
yeah thats what i thought but it happens also when Im doing nothing and have no programs running.  I also disconnected all other usb devices just to see if that made a difference and it didn't.
1 other weird thing is that it makes me select exclusive mode (via the windows playback device properties) otherwise foobar gives me this error message: "unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x88780096)"

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Not too sure how to set up WASAPI in any other players.  Just listening to a few songs on itunes and everything is perfect - no hint of crackling.  Same with foobar in DS mode... weird hey?

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Buffer Length is currenlt 500ms but I have put it all the way down to 50ms and it made no difference.  the crackling noise is intermittent but it occurs at some point in almost all songs.  I should say that I had zero problem with using wasapi when I had my musiland 02 dac connected so that makes it even weirder.

Have you tried moving it higher than 500ms to see if it still happens? It says the recommended is about 1000ms, maybe that could be your problem? 

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 13
what chip is your DAC using? it's more than likely a latency problem...but it could be within the windows audio subsytem. Maybe that fix I mentioned would help, Is your USB port on its own IRQ in the device manager? not on a hub, no shared devices? Did you ask the manufacturer?

many media players support WASAPI, you could try Reclock..if it doesn't work in Reclock, you do have a problem
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Well I think it is now working fine.  The fault seems to lie with the usb ports I had used.  I had used both of the ports at the front and with both of them it sounded fine in DS mode but crap with WASAPI.
I just connected the devilsound to 1 of the USB ports at the back of the PC and all of a sudden the sound in WASAPI mode is sounding great with no crackling noise.
The only mystery remaining is why did my musiland always sound fine when it was connected to the front USB port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back