Cozoy Astrapi "Made for Apple" Portable DAC/amp Impressions/Discussion Thread
May 27, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #61 of 82
  I recently bought one of these out of pure curiosity to use with my iphone 6. I think it sounds great with my full size headphones above 35 ohms.
I definitely notice some additional bass, and some more richness from the mids. The gain is also surprisingly strong. 

Unfortunately, it's a different story with my iem's. The gain is so strong using it with Noble K10's and SE846's, that I can't even take the first volume step (1/16) 
without having to pull them out of my ears after a minute or so. On the bright side, this means my ears are still healthy and sensitive, but unfortunately I don't think I can use this for its intended purpose, which was to use with iem's on the go. 

try Neplayer or Kaisertone app that has -db switch....
Neplayer can lower 12 db which could be equivalent to 1-3 steps of vol.

the output depends on input so if you put it with ipad air it will sound less loud 
redface.gif

May 28, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #62 of 82

try Neplayer or Kaisertone app that has -db switch....
Neplayer can lower 12 db which could be equivalent to 1-3 steps of vol.

the output depends on input so if you put it with ipad air it will sound less loud 
redface.gif

Thanks much.  I'm using Kaisertone and I found that it addresses the volume issue with IEMs.  As a bonus, the volume knob of that app also lowers the volume of Tidal. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #63 of 82
hey guys, I posted really lengthy in-depth impression on the Cozoy Astrapi in an official review HERE. Includes amplifier comparisons and headphone pairings.

Also, I added an additional addendum on testing methodology and test tracks used that I couldn't fit in the review found HERE.

Hope its entertaining & informative. Cheers!

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #64 of 82
Just ordered mine without realizing it was not USB 3.0 compatible.  My Laptop does not have any USB 2.0 ports.  Would a USB 2.0 Hub solve the issue?  Thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #65 of 82
  Just ordered mine without realizing it was not USB 3.0 compatible.  My Laptop does not have any USB 2.0 ports.  Would a USB 2.0 Hub solve the issue?  Thanks in advance.

No. Just use your USB 3.0 port and you should be fine.  You may need to update your computer drivers but most folks don't.  The only DAC that I have experienced issues running using USB 3.0 is the AK240 and Mac combination.  In that situation, there were some options you needed to tweak in OSX.  I believe there are drivers you may need for Windows to drive any DAC but I will defer to others on this since I no longer have a Windows machine.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #66 of 82
It works!!!  Still playing around with it but initial impressions are very positive.  Although not USB 3.0 "Compatible" my Windows 8.1 Laptop with USB 3.0 works perfectly.  More to come...

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #68 of 82
It's been a while since I last posted here, but I'll update the first post with a few more impressions with an iPhone 5(?).

I would be interested in hearing your impressions. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #69 of 82
I'm wondering if I have a defective unit. Running from my HTC One M8 > Cozoy Astrapi gives an audible high pitched noise even when not playing anything. If I connect an amplifier to it, the high pitched noise disappears and everything sounds normal. Any suggestions? Should I return it?

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #70 of 82
  I'm wondering if I have a defective unit. Running from my HTC One M8 > Cozoy Astrapi gives an audible high pitched noise even when not playing anything. If I connect an amplifier to it, the high pitched noise disappears and everything sounds normal. Any suggestions? Should I return it?

I never experienced anything like that, so it does sound like there is something wrong with your unit. perhaps they can exchange it for you, but I would definitely contact the vendor you purchased it from and see how they would handle it. does not sound like it is working properly to me.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #71 of 82
Did anyone have trouble getting theirs? I ordered in June, never came, contacted Jeremy 7/15, he apologized and said he would send one out right away. He even promised to throw in a pair of earphones, still haven't received anything!!!!:rage:

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #72 of 82
None to worry, Jeremy at CTC stepped in a took care of it, really great customer service!

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #74 of 82
Sounds like Astrapi might *not* be as good a fit as I initially thought. My use cases would be:

iPhone 6 / 6+ and iPad Air paired with Ety ER4S  (might run too loud for IEMs?)

MacBook Air paired with PSB M4U1 and Ety ER4S (PSB ohms might be too low for good performance?)

Not even sure I really need an amp, but wanted to try one for fun - mainly with the Etys ... And want one that can pull double duty as a DAC, and also be used at work (MB Air) and on the go/at home (iDevices).

Any advice appreciated (including recs for other Amps/Dacs)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back