Cowon Z2 vs iPod Touch 5 + Fiio E11
Nov 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AiAiAiNewbie

New Head-Fier
Im having a hard time choosing between buying an iPod Touch and using it with my E11 or simply buy a Cowon Z2

I know how good Cowon players are but Ive had an iPod touch for the past 3 years and i really enjoy it.
The Camera
The iOS
etc...

I seek a good SQ from my portable device and i wanted to know if the difference is that big between those 2 players even if the apple device is amped.

All my music will be converted to apple lossless if i go with the iPod.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 10
iPod touch will definetely sound better with the fiio e11. With the Z2 as long as the files are 256/320kbps an amp wont be needed.

With my westone 4r, the music sounds more lively on the Z2. There is more clarity & punchiness to the music.
Whereas the touch (without amplifier), music sounded dull & I had to put the volume at higher levels to get that effect (which may damage the ears). An amplifier added to the touch will help). I found an amplifier did work with the ipod touch giving it a more 'Oomph' to the sound.

Since I had to charge the amplifier every now & then, I got fed up of amplifiers & loaded 'BBE' app on the touch & music sounds better.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 10
So with an amp and an equalizer app the Touch sounds like/better then the unamped Z2 ?

And how about the Z2 + the Fiio E11 ?

(I listen to Apple Lossless on my Touch and I will listen to FLAC on the Z2) (if i buy it)

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 10
I didn't say amp + app for ipod touch. Either an amplifier or app will definitely make your ipod touch sound better.

Since you have an ipod touch, Why dont you try an app first (only $4.99) compared to an amp (more $$$) and see how you enjoy the music!
Choose the right app by first previewing & seeing if you like the UI before your final purchase.

An amplifier on the other hand, needs to be charged and tied around the ipod for portability. I had the fiio e17 for almost 6 months but got fed up seeing to it that it had to be charged.

Whereas for the Cowon Z2 , amping it made too bassy for my ears. Z2 has enough power to drive the sensitive earphones (not headphones)

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 10
I already bought the E11... It's being shipped atm.

I mainly bought the E11 for the bass boost... so if you say the Z2 became bassy ... well it might be exactly what I am looking for.

I'm going to install the Accudio Pro app from Golden Ears ASAP.

And sorry for asking again but ; with an amp and an equalizer app the Touch sounds like/better then the Z2 ?

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 10
I'd take a 4th or 5th gen Touch over a Cowon Z2 any day.....the Android-powered Cowons are a fail.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Agreed, why buy either Sony or Cowon android players? 

No real reason to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back