Cowon X7 this summer!
Dec 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #316 of 380
The engagdet review for this is up: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/cowon-x7-pmp-review/

As predicted, the gripe is against the UI and the low-res display.

I wonder if this thing can be rockboxed? Has anyone tried it yet?

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #317 of 380
Finally something that is not apple, flac support, and 160GB.
The only bad thing is I personally have, so far, 350GB of FLAC albums and I really want to be able to have all of them with me.
It's nuts there still isn't a 500GB PMP yet.

the X7 should be at $250 or less street price, $300+ is a joke.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #319 of 380

Quote:
The engagdet review for this is up: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/cowon-x7-pmp-review/

As predicted, the gripe is against the UI and the low-res display.

I wonder if this thing can be rockboxed? Has anyone tried it yet?

Wow! The review is much much more positive than forum-users' reviews. I already ordered mine anyway, but it's nice to read a positive review about your newly purchased item still in shipping!

I don't think the UI would be so bad to make you want to install rockbox on it anyway... At least, that's how I feel after watching the preview videos on Youtube...

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #320 of 380
Ok, here is an impression from another user. I am copy pasting it here since it is way back, hidden at page 3 where it may get missed. Here goes :

Quote:
There's actually only one main menu. And it's not the text-based one. Or at least, if the text one is in there, I cannot figure out how to enable it - it's certainly not in the settings.

Which means that yes, I own this device. I imported it a week ago. And I don't know what Darren Murph is smoking, but our impressions of this device are decidedly different.

I'll address the points we disagree on:

UI responsiveness: I would guess Darren didn't actually load any music onto the device, especially none with cover art. The UI is slow. Not unusably slow, but laggy enough to be annoying. And this is largely due to the display of cover art - which you cannot disable (at least, without physically removing the embedded APICS from your media files, which I don't want to do.) I don't even want to disable album art - I just want it to be responsive.

It's also laggy when handling flac - which is sad, as that's the main thing I bought a 160GB player to do.

Button Placement: He's on crack. It's incredibly awkward to hit the physical buttons without two hands. There's a reason the volume rockers/buttons are usually on the top left of pmps/mp3 players. With the buttons at the bottom (especially given the size of this device) you cannot comfortably push them single handed - at least, not without almost dropping it.

Touchscreen responsiveness: This is my single biggest beef. Yes, it's a resistive touchscreen. The resistive touchscreen on my Cowon D2 works perfectly well. This thing? Not so much. Mainly when browsing through the list of music, any given tap has (I'll guesstimate) a 30% chance of not registering. And scrolling itself is woefully inconsistent - sometimes several screens worth of data at a flick, sometimes a single artist. It's maddening.

Other issues: I loaded approximately 90GB of music onto the device, spread out across flac, mp3, and sadly even a few m4a. I loaded it all at once, which was a decided mistake. Cowon's are notorious for being piss-poor at handling large transfers of music successfully - if you do some searching on the web, you'll find tons of forum posts of people complaining about this across various cowon devices. Well, let me report that the X7 is no different - the "Updating Database" took well over an hour to complete, and I was quite afraid that I had bricked the damn thing (since while it is "Updating Database" the device will do nothing else - if you reboot it it will just return to this step from the beginning)

General UI complaints: The Now Playing screen sucks (which Murph did touch on somewhat.) There's no track number or Album title displayed anywhere on the screen. You cannot rotate to landscape. And there is a huge swath of unused screen real estate for no good reason, which to my eye looks quite ugly. Plus the display of album art as background is zoomed in a strange fashion that prevents you ever seeing the full album cover - and if you try, you end up skipping tracks! (you can swipe to skip tracks, and if you attempt to pan the album cover, you do just that, which is annoying since there is no visual indication that this is what happening.)

ALL THAT BEING SAID - I do like the device, because of the superb, unsurpassed sound quality. It blows the doors off of my ipod video with dock adapter, and I would wager to say it even sounds better than my Cowon D2.

So, unless Murph's review unit was running some special-secret-as-yet-unreleased firmware, I cannot replicate any of his experiences with my own unit. But most of my gripes can be addressed in firmware, so here's hoping.

This does not bode well. :frowning2: I wonder what made Cowon choose a resistive touch screen. Is the price difference between the capacitive & resistive that large to warrant this?

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #322 of 380
Can't the touchscreen's responsiveness be improved with firmware updates? I played around with a X7 today at a Yodabashi camera electronics store here in Japan, and overall I would say that the responsiveness was about the same as my S9 with firmware 2.41 (haven't bothered to update the firmware since gapless playback started working with MP3). I remember reading about the responsiveness of the S9 being improved with firmware updates. If it works with capacitive screens, it should work with resistive screens...

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #323 of 380

Quote:
Can't the touchscreen's responsiveness be improved with firmware updates? I played around with a X7 today at a Yodabashi camera electronics store here in Japan, and overall I would say that the responsiveness was about the same as my S9 with firmware 2.41 (haven't bothered to update the firmware since gapless playback started working with MP3). I remember reading about the responsiveness of the S9 being improved with firmware updates. If it works with capacitive screens, it should work with resistive screens...

You are saying that the responsiveness of the resistive touchscreen of the X7 was about the same as the responsiveness of the capacitive touchscreen of S9 with firmware 2.41. IMO that's a positive thing about a resisitive screen.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #324 of 380

Quote:
You are saying that the responsiveness of the resistive touchscreen of the X7 was about the same as the responsiveness of the capacitive touchscreen of S9 with firmware 2.41. IMO that's a positive thing about a resisitive screen.

Based on my around 3 minutes of playing around with it, yes. I did not feel that the responsiveness was that much worse than my S9.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #325 of 380

I told my wife I want the X7 for Christmas,...I changed my mind after hearing all the GOOD things people are saying about it. Now your saying the UI is pretty much as responsive as the S9? Wow, I gotta have this baby!!!
L3000.gif

Based on my around 3 minutes of playing around with it, yes. I did not feel that the responsiveness was that much worse than my S9.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #329 of 380
Since this is a "Super-Mp3-player", is there any hint of how this device sounds. The X7 is very interesting to me, since my Ipod Classic died in a mix of alcoholic drinks. The price is OK too. If this baby sounds better than the X5 or sounds better than the D2 and J3, etc. I would definitely buy it.

All the reviews out there too much focus on PMP stuff, all that is important is the SQ and the responsiveness of the screen, at least for me.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #330 of 380
All that have tried it have said it's pretty much identical to the J3, so it's not better - it's the same SQ. I loved the J3's SQ, so I'm hooked. Now, it's just a waiting game to get it for me, and get it I shall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back