cowon s9 vs iphone 3gs w LOD
Nov 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #31 of 40
The interface on Ipods/Iphones is still vastly superior to anything I've seen/read about, so the fact that there's not much improvement with other players in sound quality is of concern to me. If someone were to give up the ease of use, they need to gain elsewhere. Its not happening except perhaps slightly with the X-series Walkman. Maybe in another year...

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #32 of 40
Its quite surprising the apple put such a quality DAC in the device only to have most users use those cheap ibuds. I'm surprised Apple hasn't tried to market them something more expensive (which they would most likely want to buy). The iphone 3gs definetly smokes my Cowon s9, which got pretty good reviews here in terms of SQ. Oh well, I guess I'm gonna sell the s9 now.

Is anyone interested in me comparing the iphone vs my slim x via optical?

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 40
I cringe every time I see someone use the normal apple ear buds.

that said, lol. does anyone here have any clue how much of a diff. the different LODs have on quality of sound?

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #34 of 40
cravenz: I'm interested in that too, FWIR it can make a noticeable difference, especially if you are using quality gear.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cravenz: I'm interested in that too, FWIR it can make a noticeable difference, especially if you are using quality gear.

yup. I've been asking the same question in a few threads, but I haven't really had much luck in that department. Popular opinion would be that high quality gear makes a difference, but I'd like to see how much of a difference it really makes. Problem is, I don't exactly have a proper full up audio shop to head into. that and the prices here are ridiculous. We only have one LOD here so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I'm paying 80 USD approx. for something I can get for 50 USD if it's the same model, if not it might be the 30 USD model which would be ludicrous.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ip...scscag-453373/

he just did a review, so check it out =P he didn't do a comparison with the cheaper cables, but that might help out a little =)

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 40
I had a LOD that I bought on fleabay for £30.00. I then bought a silver LOD from Russ Andrews for £75.00. The difference in SQ is small but definitely there! Worthwhile IMO. The build quality of the cable is superb. Quality connectors and good strain relief. Looks very purty too!
smile.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 40
To the OP, I think the S9's SQ without the D10 is a tad bit better than the 3GS's SQ. The D10 does wonders for the 3GS in terms of detail and overall sound. The D10 is the common denominator and should the the purchase that people get if they want better sound from their sources. Not the D10 per se, but a DAC and/or amp, will in general make your setup that much better. You then have to weigh in the extra equipment that comes with that better setup, especially when you want to stay "portable."

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #39 of 40
Spidey: I didn't test the headphone out of the 3gs alone vs the cowon. For my usage habits, I can accept average headphone out SQ on the go, since I don't do the majority of my listening while mobile.

Since I'm planning on selling my cowon, I'm interested in a cheap player with a really good SQ now for those instances where I don't want to bring my iphone (gym or traveling abroad). What mp3 players have you tried?

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cravenz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ip...scscag-453373/

he just did a review, so check it out =P he didn't do a comparison with the cheaper cables, but that might help out a little =)

I found myself interested in the Qables LOD, too bad its so expensive! At the moment, I can't justify spending more than $40-$60 on a cable, especially when my current cable already is very good sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back