Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #601 of 1,024
I wish Cowon would add the Stereo Enhance to the P2 that is on the iAudio 9+ via an update. Would be nice to have that instead of Chorus or Reverb. Also wish Cowon would adjust the DAC filters to have a lower frequency cut off curve that is more pronounced. All the current one's are so high up there they are not very obvious. This would make that function more useful, at least for me it would.
Did you suggest that to Cowon ?

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #603 of 1,024
They do what they want. They would never listen to me.

Not necessarily true. I wrote to info@jetaudio.com about USB-DAC drawing down my phone battery. Messages went back and forth, and about a month later Cowon provided a firmware upgrade which fixed the problem.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #605 of 1,024
My message to them:

Greetings,

I am really enjoying my purchase of the Cowon Plenue 2 coming from the Plenue 1. I have two questions.

1. I noticed the model iAudio 9+ has the Stereo Enhance feature. Can this be available to the P2 via an update?

2. Is there a way via an update to adjust the DAC filters to have a lower frequency cut off curve that is more pronounced or a filter selection we can select like 9Khz or 10Khz or 12Khz? All the current one's are so high up there they are not very obvious or useful. If the frequency was adjustable, this would make that function more useful, with more noticeable effect. Is this possible or not?

Thank you.

I'll let you all know what they say.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #606 of 1,024
My message to them:

Greetings,

I am really enjoying my purchase of the Cowon Plenue 2 coming from the Plenue 1. I have two questions.

1. I noticed the model iAudio 9+ has the Stereo Enhance feature. Can this be available to the P2 via an update?

2. Is there a way via an update to adjust the DAC filters to have a lower frequency cut off curve that is more pronounced or a filter selection we can select like 9Khz or 10Khz or 12Khz? All the current one's are so high up there they are not very obvious or useful. If the frequency was adjustable, this would make that function more useful, with more noticeable effect. Is this possible or not?

Thank you.

I'll let you all know what they say.
You can indicate that a least other forum membres are interested, so we can imagine it would interest most P2 owners.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #607 of 1,024
You can indicate that a least other forum membres are interested, so we can imagine it would interest most P2 owners.

Good idea but I already sent it. I will see what they reply first and if they say it's not been requested then I will mention it to them and link them to this thread if they like. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #608 of 1,024
Good idea but I already sent it. I will see what they reply first and if they say it's not been requested then I will mention it to them and link them to this thread if they like. :wink:

I forgot to mention that their reply times have varied wildly -- from the next day up to almost 2 weeks. No pattern to it that I can report, just sometimes quick, sometimes slow.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #611 of 1,024
20170816_154634.jpg
At this point I prefer P2 to the DX200 , but I think with the Amp3 the Dx200 will sound as good as the P2 ( the only thing I prefer the dx200 to P2 is soundstage width)

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #612 of 1,024

At this point I prefer P2 to the DX200 , but I think with the Amp3 the Dx200 will sound as good as the P2 ( the only thing I prefer the dx200 to P2 is soundstage width)

Glad you are enjoying the P2. Are you using any of the DSP options? That is where Cowon excels and surprises. If not you are missing the full soundstage ability of the P2, or any Cowon for that matter.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #613 of 1,024
Glad you are enjoying the P2. Are you using any of the DSP options? That is where Cowon excels and surprises. If not you are missing the full soundstage ability of the P2, or any Cowon for that matter.
It is really hard to top the DX200 in term of soundstage width, all of my previous daps such as Opus3, Opus2, QP1R, Pawgold all have narrower soundstage compared to DX200.
But Soundstage depth of the P2 is not inferior to the DX200 at all , by the way I just try some dsp settings, the one I like is "Dance" , I think the pace is faster and the bottom end has more body, Jet effects is indeed really a good feature, I think the P2 is a keeper for me (only maybe QP2R ,which I will try on sunday, can change my mind, have to listen to it first,because I actually am a fan boy of QP1R )

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #614 of 1,024
It is really hard to top the DX200 in term of soundstage width, all of my previous daps such as Opus3, Opus2, QP1R, Pawgold all have narrower soundstage compared to DX200.
But Soundstage depth of the P2 is not inferior to the DX200 at all , by the way I just try some dsp settings, the one I like is "Dance" , I think the pace is faster and the bottom end has more body, Jet effects is indeed really a good feature, I think the P2 is a keeper for me (only maybe QP2R ,which I will try on sunday, can change my mind, have to listen to it first,because I actually am a fan boy of QP1R )

Don't use the presets. User your own definable preset.

1. Leave EQ flat.
2. Use BBE and set it to around +5 or more depending on your IEM/headphone preference.
3. Try MP on and off to add clarity (if needed).
4. Try 3D Surround, adding +1, +2, +3 or about +4 range no more. Anything beyond +5 is too much and sounds way too wide like a reverb almost.
5. Try Mach3Bass. Set to whatever you like. It adds fullness to the whole bottom end if your IEM/headphone needs it or you like deep full bass, there is no wrong or bad value here.

I find these the best natural/realistic setting that show off the true full potential of this DAP depending on the genre and or your preference how much you apply these settings. NOT using them you are missing out on 80% of what the P2 is designed and capable of.

I do it like this.

User 1 - EQ:Off / BBE +6 / MP On / Mach3Bass +3 / 3D Surround +3
User 2 - EQ:Off / BBE +7 / MP On / Mach3Bass +3 / 3D Surround +2
User 3 - EQ:Off / BBE +8 / MP Off / Mach3Bass +3 / 3D Surround +1
User 4 - EQ:Off / BBE +9 / MP Off / Mach3Bass +3 / 3D Surround Off

You can use these as an example and listen to all your genre and then switch them live while the music is playing to see which one you prefer. I use these and switch between them not cause I don't know which I like, but more for different types of genre and the way the song was recorded. Some songs have large amount of width and reverb so I use User 1 to add to it but not make it too extreme. Where there is no reverb etc, and music is flat and dull and boring I use User 4. If anything in between I go between 2 and 3 but it's rare but I like to have it. I go between 1 and 4 often as I have a wide variety of genre.

Try it and see what you think.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #615 of 1,024
Thank you so much Hi-Fier , I surly will try the way you explain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back