Cowon or small, lightweight DAP for Running!
Nov 14, 2021 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jb5200

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I have a Cowon iAudio 9+ that I absolutely love and the battery has finally taken a crapper (drains super fast) and I need to replace it. I will be using this for working out and running only so I'm looking for something small and lightweight. I use Shure SE846 for headphones so would like something to pair well with those and I listen to a lot of hard rock, rap, hip-hop, etc. so love a lot of visceral impact and clarity. I tried the Cowon iAudio HD which is the same size as the 9+ but the battery lasted 1 hr and the sound was not even close so I'm in the process in sending it back.

So if anyone has a Cowon i9+ or 7 (older) and want to sell it let me know! Otherwise any other brands that would fit the bill?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 11
Very cool so I can just replace the battery huh? Has anyone ever done that - how easy is it? Do I just pop it open and plug and play or do I have to solder it?

Thanks for the find!

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, that's the HiFi, not the 9+ even though it's advertised as a 9 - looks good on paper but the sound is nowhere near the 9. The Hifi is the one I returned - took a major hit b/c I had to pay to ship it back to China so lost big on that deal and would prefer to avoid that!

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Check out the HiBy R 3 Pro Saber.Good sound, cheap and great features

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 11
The Plenue's are pretty big for running, it will be in my pocket and it will be jingling around as I run. I see the Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 seems like a good fit but I can't find one in US and I won't do the Japan thing again, ran into that with that HiFi - Even though I bought it on Amazon I had to pay to ship it back so lost $60 on the deal.

Anyone know anything about the Sony's?

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 11
The NWZ-A17 hasn't been on sale for several years. Sony sold more of the lower spec NWZ-A15 model. Your best hope is finding one 'new in box' or used.

The Plenue Ds are pocket sized but somewhat fat. A heavily discounted new D2 if you can find one, is probably worth buying.

Here's some other options:
Under $145 :
  • Hiby R2
  • Shanling M0
  • Shanling Q1
  • Fiio M5
  • Fiio M3 pro
  • Fiio M3K

Over $145:
  • Hiby R3/R3 Pro/R3 Pro Saber
  • Sony NW-A45/A55
  • Hidizs AP80/AP80 Pro
All the devices listed above should have dedicated threads on the forum if you need to know more from users.
If you're competent with replacing socketed batteries look at the xDuoo x3ii, although it's probably too bulky for your requirements.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks - can't seem to find any of the Sony's in the US everything is Japan or Russian Federation but then I get slammed with returning if it doesn't workout, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled. I'm gonna try to check out those in the list to see if any would work, again size and weight are key (imagine trying to run with your phone in your pocket). I don't need a huge screen, just need to hit play let r rip!

FWIW, I tried the Shanling M0 (a buddy of mine) and it was so bad I had to EQ the hell out it and then there was so much distortion it wasn't even playable. I like a very detailed and accurate sound (esp in the bass) and that sounded like a melted marshmallow so anything in that realm prolly won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back