Cowon iAudio 7 and Portable Amps
Jan 9, 2008 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

athos56

New Head-Fier
I've read a bit here about source volume and portable headphone amps. Some say 100% some say 75% and finally some say 50% and so on and on. I got a headphone amp (2 actually, a PA2V2 and a Headsix, to see which I liked more) for my i7 and I was wondering if anybody else is using an amp with theirs and if they know what volume is best using a flat eq and no effects (the manner in which I'll likely use it). Is their a volume setting which is like a true line out, with no clipping and 100% of the SQ the player is capable of? Thanks.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 25
I have an Iaudio 7 and use it with XM4, mSEED, and Xtra amps. I usually use the XM4 with the mSEED as a backup. The Xtra is used when I want something smaller, as when taking a walk wearing a shirt only (fits the pockets better).

I haven't really looked for any source clipping. I adjusted the Iaudio's volume such that the maximum volume of my headphones (HD25 and MS1) was just above the maximum volume I plan on listening to.

I did use a setting of 25, but since changing the opamp in the XM4 I've been using a setting of 30.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 25
my brother has a cowon audio7..
hes doesnt use any amps.. but the defualt sound itself is nice..
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 25
The iAudio i7 can drive most cans to very near the limit. I have a Go-Vibe V6 and I only use it for special high impedance cans otherwise I leave it up to the i7s brilliant integrated amp. I find that the Cowon colors the sound a bit after 32/40 of the volume so if you got Yuin PK1s you should probably set the i7 to 30ish and then use your amp to drive them to their potential. I leave all enhancements off and use a flat EQ (I'm using "colored" cans most of the time).

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 25
i have Goldring DR150s (32 ohm) and Audio-Technica ATH-M50s (38 ohms) and i think they both sound very good unamped from my i7... do you think it's worth it to get a penguin ultra or headsix for them? i both use them at a volume of 18-19/40...

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 25
My i7 shows up today, and I got my Sr225's a few days ago so I'll report back after doing some A/B comparisons between the i7 and my home stereo both playing Flac files. Once the mailman brings my headsix and PA2V2 I'll see if a headphone amp helps or hurts 'em. If the i7 colors the sound after 30ish its good to know, thanks! BTW the if the SR225's are as good on my i7 as they are on my home system I'll be a happy camper, as of now they are the best $ investment I've made all year! (All 11 days
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 25
the SR225 seem to be similar soundsig wise and spec wise to the DR150 so please tell what difference it makes to have the iaudio 7 amped or not when you've got the chance...

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 25
Well no A/B test, after filling it up with music I find that the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter is fubar. When in use, sound only comes out of one side of the headphone, and it doesn't sound too good. Everything is fully seated, I was able to recreate the problem on my computer, home stereo and another set of phones, so its not the player or the Sr225's its the adapter. The included ear buds kinda suck as well (compared to the sr225's
tongue.gif
), they either roll off the treble or the player does. Soooo until I get a new adapter or my M5's i just get to look at it.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by athos56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well no A/B test, after filling it up with music I find that the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter is fubar. When in use, sound only comes out of one side of the headphone, and it doesn't sound too good.

Damn, that sucks... let us know when you get a replacement, I'd like to know whether an amp makes a difference with the iaudio 7 as well, since I was thinking of getting one. Where'd you get the adapter from?

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iAudio i7 can drive most cans to very near the limit. I have a Go-Vibe V6 and I only use it for special high impedance cans otherwise I leave it up to the i7s brilliant integrated amp. I find that the Cowon colors the sound a bit after 32/40 of the volume so if you got Yuin PK1s you should probably set the i7 to 30ish and then use your amp to drive them to their potential. I leave all enhancements off and use a flat EQ (I'm using "colored" cans most of the time).

I'm not sure how this works but I guess that the output at full volume is not distorted, I had this problem with my iriver ihp-120, but not with all headphones, maybe it is the load of certain headphones or output impedance or some combinations I dont now. with very easily driven headphones I coldn't go up higher than maby 20/40 befoure the sound became "strained" but with HD650 I could go all the way up to 40/40 without any coloration. I now that it wasn't the headphones with higher sensitivity that got distorted because I could play with very high volume with an amp conected. If Í used the HP-out to amp the best sound was to be found with the volume all the way up to 40/40, I think this is better because the external amp doesn't need to work so hard then. I couldn't hear any distortion or coloration then, compared to use say 50% of the volume. The absolute best was Line-out though
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 25
I got the original Grado adapter from Headroom. BUT, all is well, a short trip to ratshack to pick up the adapter proper adapter and I was set. Also, my PA2V2 amp came today. So, I found that the i7 can run the SR225's unamped. I would say that it runs them up to about 75% of what they got. Unamped they lack some drive in the low end. Amped they get that last 25%. When I first plugged in the PA2V2 I didn't think I would like it. The amp had to much gain, I could barely turn the volume knob without it blowing out my eardrums. Turning down the i7 and turning up the amp was a recipe for noise. Luckily the latest version of the amp has some pots on the inside to turn down the gain. After I turned them down about 1/3 of a turn things changed. I got all the low end drive I needed, max listening level is a little over half a turn on the volume knob (with the i7 at 25-30) and with the i7 on pause and the amp volume at max I hear no noise. So my verdict is that the amp was worth it. Between my home stereo and the i7 + amp the home stereo is more refined/detailed (no big surprise there). Unamped i7 vs amped i7 = no loss in sq that I can hear. Hope this helps. When I get my Headsix I'll let you know how it compares.

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 25
The problem with a portable amp is how bulky it would be..if only they made iAudio more thinner and spread out (like the iPod nano)..

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

So, I found that the i7 can run the SR225's unamped. I would say that it runs them up to about 75% of what they got. Unamped they lack some drive in the low end. Amped they get that last 25%...

Awesome, thanks for the info. I guess I don't need to buy a dedicated portable amp, then... Was the difference in bass response that noticeable?

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 25
I wouldn't think I was missing out if I didn't have the amp, but I'm glad I do. You could buy an amp later and spead out the cost... If that answers your question
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

I got the original Grado adapter from Headroom. BUT, all is well, a short trip to ratshack to pick up the adapter proper adapter and I was set. Also, my PA2V2 amp came today. So, I found that the i7 can run the SR225's unamped. I would say that it runs them up to about 75% of what they got. Unamped they lack some drive in the low end. Amped they get that last 25%. When I first plugged in the PA2V2 I didn't think I would like it. The amp had to much gain, I could barely turn the volume knob without it blowing out my eardrums. Turning down the i7 and turning up the amp was a recipe for noise. Luckily the latest version of the amp has some pots on the inside to turn down the gain. After I turned them down about 1/3 of a turn things changed. I got all the low end drive I needed, max listening level is a little over half a turn on the volume knob (with the i7 at 25-30) and with the i7 on pause and the amp volume at max I hear no noise. So my verdict is that the amp was worth it. Between my home stereo and the i7 + amp the home stereo is more refined/detailed (no big surprise there). Unamped i7 vs amped i7 = no loss in sq that I can hear. Hope this helps. When I get my Headsix I'll let you know how it compares.

I just finished building my own High Performance mini^3 amp and I agree with you that the i7 really has a great amp built-in, but that the external amp does help a little to get more full/rich sound. Bottom line is that the i7, with or without external amp, is truly a great player!

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back