Cowon iAudio 7: A Review
Jan 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......Anyone know exactly what the mp3 Enhance setting does? To me it brightens the sound with mids & highs, which helps the PX100's IMHO. I've also set the 3D Sound to 3, otherwise it sound too flat.

I think you mean MP Enhance, which is one of BBE Technologies sound effects that compensate for missing sound segments in Mp3 files. On the other hand if you meant 3D Surround, this is a 3-dimensional surround sound effect. BTW, I did a little review myself over on abi >> if you want to take a quick read, look Here.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronStomach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, Pan on the iAudio seems to pan the sound between the left and right channels, sort of like a rotary chorus effect. The "mp3 enhance" setting seems to brighten the sound overall, but I prefer tweaking the BBE (highs) and Mach3bass (lows) settings.

Pan is the L & R balance...set it to the max either way. -20 is Left most, +20 is Right most.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mean MP Enhance, which is one of BBE Technologies sound effects that compensate for missing sound segments in Mp3 files. On the other hand if you meant 3D Surround, this is a 3-dimensional surround sound effect. BTW, I did a little review myself over on abi >> if you want to take a quick read, look Here.

You're right. I ment to say MP Enhance and 3D Surround in my other post.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by busanblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do i7 give you any sound stage? i right now use iriver clix and it doesn't give me any sound stage. even using denon d2000. computer as source is way better. is i7 any different?

I have excellent sound stage from my i7 with old XB's (over 100 hr mark), for my mini review follow the link on post 16.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 31
I just noticed I have been listening to it with Pop EQ for the last few days...I wondered why my PX100's sounded brighter & my FX66's sounded 'cold'.

Everything back to normal, zero, flat ... more testing with my other cans.

So far I like how the PX100's sound, warm & bassy, not muddy. My KSC35's were very cold sounding, no bass, mid-bass punch, but they were more bright/detailed than the PX100's. Maybe I just got used to the PX100 sound. But my SR80's w/Flats were a marrage of both; warm/darkish sound of the PX100's with detailed brightness of the KSC35's.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #22 of 31
I am not sure if I am turning this into a HP review w/ the iA7 or what...

but today I've been listening to my iA7 w/KSC35's, everything is flat or 0, except Mach3Bass which is set to 7. I really like this setup, nice and crisp clean mids & highs and now I get great bass & mid bass now.

I set everything back to 0 and tried my PX100's again...this time they seemed too dark and/or blanketed. I tried to adjust BBE and other settings..they just couldn't 'fix' it for me. I guess I get used to listening to one type of cans.

It's weird, the other day I liked the dark warm sound of the PX100's and the KSC35's were too cold. And today I started out with the KSC35's and the PX100's were too dark/blanketed.

I've been listening to FLAC Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #23 of 31
I've come to the conclusion I love my iA7 with PX100's, for their warm mid-bass & punchy bass. I just have to bump up the BBE to 5 or more & MP Enhance when needed, and the Mach3Bass alittle.

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #24 of 31
i would think that would be a great setup match between the ia7 and the senns or ksc 35. i had the d2 and overall did never like it without adding to the music with eq, mach3bass and i think mpenhance. in the end, it sounded nothing like my superior hifi - but for portable music, it did help me enjoy the sound. i think cowon are focused on helping your portable music sound as much unlike its natural state as possible!

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think cowon are focused on helping your portable music sound as much unlike its natural state as possible!

That kind of throws a wet blanket over it.
confused.gif
I was thinking of scoring an 8GB model to compare to my Meizu M6SL but I'm still not really certain after reading stuff like this.

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

i think cowon are focused on helping your portable music sound as much unlike its natural state as possible!

I thought you mainly listened to electronic and trance music. What do you consider to be the natural state of that?
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #27 of 31
I listen to classical and soft/slow types of jazz and the i7 sounds very natural with ER4P/S with a small amount of EQ. I also listen to electronic music but I would never judge a DAP or can for accuracy with this type of music.

I do use a lot of EQ on the i7 with ER6 but this is to create a "equal loudness contour/F-M curve" because I listen at low volume with these.

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #28 of 31
I enjoy listening to classic rock, Spanish music, Caribbean music, classical & more … I use a wide range of music to judge my daps and even though I listen to some electronic & metal. Like GreatDane said, I’ve never used them to base my listening tests. IMO, the i7 has a great SQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

What? Cowon makes DAPs to produce unnatural audio as much as possible when playing music?

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 31
i guess if you use the enhancing effects or change the eq, you're bound to get an unnatural sound... a lot of people here seem to use these.... i get the most natural sound while leaving all the enhancements off....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back