Cowon i9 vs Clip+ vs Touch 3G Detailed Measurements & Review
Feb 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
I just posted a detailed review of the Cowon iAudio 9 on my blog with a focus on the audio performance. The measurements go beyond those made with RMAA and include the maximum power output, output impedance, and some DAC tests. I make several comparisons between the i9 versus the Sansa Clip+ and iPod Touch 3G. The results are interesting.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Thanks for a great review. You make a compelling case for the sansa clip+. I think the i9 is in a strange place; it has a mediocre frequency curve and its driving power is not as high as say the sflo:2. Also the UI isn't as good as the J3 so one really wonders whether its a worthy investment.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't want to start another ridiculous objective/subjective war...but I wonder if there's any way to measure the "potential" for a player.

I haven't read the whole review yet...I'm at work. Early on, you say that you would probably prefer the Clip+ to the i9. This would lead many to think that it just plain sounds better. I have a Clip+ and was considering an i9 b/c I like EQ. I think the Clip+ set flat w/o Rockbox sounds like dull, flat a$$. Very uninspiring. Add a little EQ and 150% spacial width...and it becomes incredible.

As popular as the Cowon seems to be...how can it be objectively compared in a complete manner instead of just reviewing a small portion of its capabilities? Probably can't.

I just don't think there's a way to compare DAP's because of this. I feel that not using EQ is a real crime. (obviously my opinion)

I'll just have to buy one and sell it if I don't like it, I guess.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 8
@chelboed You have an advantage in that you already know what can be done with Rockbox. If you're willing to experiment with the Rockbox EQ you can likely recreate most of the Cowon's "presets" on the Clip+.

Given that, the main reasons I'd suggest someone who already has a Clip+ consider an i9 is if they honestly need that extra 2 dB of output level or don't want to run Rockbox for some odd reason. The 2 dB isn't a huge difference but it might help for those who like it really loud or have inefficient headphones. Otherwise I think the i9 is likely to be a waste of money over the Clip+ or Fuze. But that's just my opinion based on comparing them side by side listening, and measuring both of them.

And you're correct, when it comes to comparing EQ options, you pretty much have to have the player in your hands, the headphones in your ears, and play around with all the settings yourself. Nobody on this forum or anywhere else can fully describe how the EQ on one player compares to another with just words. They can only give you their opinions based on their tastes in EQ, music, choice in headphones, etc. And the next guy's tastes, music, headphones, etc. are likely to all be very different. So it's Apples and Oranges.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Interesting review, thanks.  I own a Cowon i9 and have been very impressed with it.  I'm surprised and disappointed at the poor low bass performance you noted in the review, I guess either my music doesn't delve that deep or I've just been missing out on some sub-50hz bass.  I will say that the UI concerns I read about before buying it were overblown, it was easy to get up and running with almost no need for the owners manual.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Nice review. I have both the i9 and the Clip+. I think you're on target about their strengths and weaknesses. When it comes down to it, I prefer the interface (bigger screen and you get used to the swipe) of the i9 for my walking around player. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I just posted a detailed review of the Cowon iAudio 9 on my blog with a focus on the audio performance. The measurements go beyond those made with RMAA and include the maximum power output, output impedance, and some DAC tests. I make several comparisons between the i9 versus the Sansa Clip+ and iPod Touch 3G. The results are interesting.

You can change the frequency bands (albeit in a limited range) and select the width of the frequency bands(narrow, normal, or wide) on the "User EQ", contrary to what you said in the review. It is not an intuitive process like it is on the Clip+ with Rockbox though.....I had to look at the manual to figure it out, and I rarely look at manuals.
smile.gif

Quote:
Nice review. I have both the i9 and the Clip+. I think you're on target about their strengths and weaknesses. When it comes down to it, I prefer the interface (bigger screen and you get used to the swipe) of the i9 for my walking around player. 

I have both the Clip+ and i9 too, but I prefer the interface of the Clip+ if I am walking around. Around the house, I like them both.
 ​

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
You can change the frequency bands (albeit in a limited range) and select the width of the frequency bands(narrow, normal, or wide) on the "User EQ", contrary to what you said in the review. It is not an intuitive process like it is on the Clip+ with Rockbox though.....I had to look at the manual to figure it out, and I rarely look at manuals.
smile.gif

Thanks for the correction! I'll update the review.I missed that and don't remember it being in the manual but it may well have.

But even with 3 widths, it's still not a true parametric EQ, and my biggest complaint was the limited frequency choices. DSP EQ is just a matter of doing the math and plugging the numbers into tables. Once you write the code to do it for one frequency/width setting it's trivial to make it work for any frequency/width settings in the entire audio range (like Rockbox does). So Cowon just got lazy with the Custom EQ user interface, someone didn't think it mattered, or both. It's too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back