Cowon D3 - We have contact...
Jan 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #226 of 380
not everything, which looks good on paper, is good in reality.......that would be really nice
biggrin.gif

But why can't firms learn from their former mistakes and correct them on the next version?

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #227 of 380

Quote:
I was afraid this would happen. On paper, everything sounded so wonderful, but it appears the D3 is nearly crippled from slow hardware and/or a poor software implementation.

Dang.

I also was very hopeful. I would've mentioned Cowon's track history, but I didn't want to jinx the D3. Does anyone else remember the Cowon Q5(W)? It's release was similar to the D3. It was a very highly anticipated product, and the specs looked great. It had wireless, flash, bluetooth, big screen, digital out, etc. It looked amazing...until everyone got a look at the UI. It was slow and laggy, like the D3 (moreso actually).

Cowon Q5W:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_Q5W_feature.php

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #228 of 380
I'd wait for more firmware updates if it does happen I'm going over there and killing everybody. Changed out the shotgun for a baseball signed 'remake the D3 punk".

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #231 of 380
Aw we have different views young skywalker

cool.gif
 -D3!

blink.gif
 -D3!

biggrin.gif
 me walkin in. 
biggrin.gif

deadhorse.gif
- Battery life, shucks

ph34r.gif
 - Unimpressive vids

very_evil_smiley.gif
mad.gif
tongue_smile.gif
 - Kill em all

popcorn.gif
 Waiting to see if I would have back-up 

Tip: If you going to sum it up do it right 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #232 of 380
LOL, hahahahahaha I like the way this thread is going on. But for the whole time I waited for the D3... I do not say I am that disappointed, but right now I bought the HM-601. For Spdif I will buy the fiio X3. For video I have the Cowon V5...

Lets see how firmware changes will change the D3, maybe I will give it a try in spring :) screw IT

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #234 of 380
From what DFKT reported. They've already released a new firmware. 1.21 to be exact. Let's not keep our hopes up though on this becoming a little bit of a more speedier PMP (so we don't get disappointed).

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #235 of 380
Hopefully Cowon will get their hats on straight, bus this is routine it took a while for the S9 to reach it's full potential. D2 is another story also welcome to head-fi you two. Sorry about your wallet 
wink.gif

On another note it's a good thing we have the J3.....

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #236 of 380
In my eyes, they need a complete revision of the firmware.
Even if that were be possible, it would take a very long while.

They maybe need a new product.

Aren't they ashamed of showing such a product on the CES?

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #237 of 380
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #238 of 380
I don't think firmware updates will help as Android is not their own software...all they can do is scale back their own customized skins and what not to reduce stress on the processor and RAM. But if the hardware itself cannot handle stock Android (that is, without any added customizations), no number of FW updates will change the lag we are seeing on the player. It will be interesting to see if someone at XDA Developers (smartphone hacking/customizing community) will try to get stock Android on this. That would allow us to see whether the problem was with Cowon's customization or the hardware components. But an XDA root is unlikely, as they work mostly with phones.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #240 of 380

Quote:
They drove themselves into a BIG dilemma.

What can they do, except to bring out a totally new product?

It doesn't have to be totally new, just new firmware. Like the D2 and D2+. The only major difference was firmware, the hardware was the same. I really hope they do release a Cowon D3+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back