Cowon D3 - It's official :)
Dec 30, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #31 of 110

Quote:
Funny thing is I was about to do a Head-fi search on good SQ android running phones...

I had a J3 (in fact the very J3 the thread poster now owns :p), which was a very nice player but I felt like I spent too much money on something that only played music, especially since I find speakers more enjoyable (but I can't carry those around either...). I still have no portable music player at the moment; I was considering things like the cheap Sansa Clip+, or some sort of good SQ phone like the Nokia 5800, but this definitely has caught my interest well enough for me to keep holding out. I loved the J3 sound, and now it finally comes with features that should hopefully rival things like the Touch and Zune HD...*drool*. Disappointed though that it only goes up to 32GB again and apparently, if I read correctly, Android apps can't be purchased for it?

PS: Sorensiim I did not know about this xD

Don't worry, The J3 now has the loving home it so deserves 
wink.gif
. On my desk right now are two 22" monitors to supplement the 15" on my laptop, as well as my Motorola Defy (most awesome, yet overlooked smartphone EVER). I only use the J3 for music playback and it's doing a darn fine job at that. Games? I have a PS3 at home and Angry Birds and NFS Shift on the phone. Videos? The monitors in front of me, as well as the TV at home. Music? J3 + Atrio M5 = bliss.

Has anyone ever made a PMP only sporting a digital output, IE no headphone-out? I think a flash-based player with a 3" amoled and mini-toslink output to your dac/amp of choice could be pretty compact and with great battery life as all the heavy lifting will be done by the amp. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #32 of 110

I'm always reading into things too deeply.  Maybe it's the science-fiction fan in me.

Notice that the date is Monday, Sep 14th.  That would be 2009.  I wonder if that date has any significance to Cowon, like being the official launch date of the D3 R&D.  Who knows.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #36 of 110

Quote:
LPCM is a method of encoding audio data digitally...  So uhhhh what were you saying?

That since they specify SPdif/stereo that the music audio out will be there in some way. Vid surround dig is not LPCM though sometimes there's a LPCM 2ch track available. Looks like a seperate Dig out connecter and probably a mini of some type either a combo plug like a laptop or seperate but no way to be sure. HDMI out may also have a dig leg that can be conmfigured via menu. We'll have to wait and see whether the HDMI is 1.3 or not. Point was that there seems to be an audio dig out. No one can be sure if there's an vid dig out and if so, what format.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 110

Quote:
I don't think anyone cares about video digital out in this thread ;p I know I certainly don't...  What did that have to do with anything :O

I do, I'm tired of using my psp for video out. You have to convert the file over to a certain size and everything, with the d3, I should be able to jsut drag and drop files on and play them on my big screen with no problem.

BTW, I do have a HDMI out of my computer to my HD screen, but it's nice to watch a series like house when I'm at school, pause the video, go home and continue the same episode by jsut plugging it in the screen

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #39 of 110

Quote:
I don't think anyone cares about video digital out in this thread ;p I know I certainly don't...  What did that have to do with anything :O

You asked, he said that it had a dig out beyond HDMI protocols because SPdif audio is not the same to reassure you and I explained again when you wondered what he was getting at. Why do poeple that already know everything ask questions? Take a chill pill.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #40 of 110
To those concerned about battery life the number one reason for battery loss on android phones is radio specifically 3G or wifi. I don't think you should worry about battery life as much as you think. I would be more concerned about the screen, and running services. The good news is android lets you kill apps and adjust screen brightness and timing sensitivity on the fly with widgets etc. Thats why android is so good its versatile if you want you can set it up properly to get long term battery use. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #41 of 110
As long as u don't go on a half-year-hike, in the wild,  i don't think battery-life should be a to great issue.
Today there are plugs everywhere, in the car u can use the cigarette lighter.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #44 of 110

Quote:
Quote:
^ the cowon page says "Micro SD 카드 슬롯" so, yes. I think it can support up to 32gb.

Why is everybody suddenly jumping on the micro SD bandwagon? The last time I checked Amazon a couple of weeks ago a 32GB SD card was about $30 cheaper than a 32GB micro SD card.

It has a significantly smaller form factor, and prices drop eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back