Cowon D3 - It's official :)
Dec 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #18 of 110
This is copy/pasted from the "Cowon D3 - We have contact..." thread (post 48, page 4, "yooss")
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515069/cowon-d3-we-have-contact/45

- Android Based
- Full HD (1080p-makes me wonder what kind of chip they used) playback
- Wireless LAN(Wi-Fi)
- 3.7 inch AMOLED 800X480 display
- HDMI TV-Out
- NTFS file system for files over 4GB
- BBE+ / Jeteffect 3.0
- Built in speaker
- MicroSD
- Bluetooth
- Gravity Sensor
- Touch-vibration feedback
- DMB (Korea)
- FM Radio
- E-Book
- Photo viewer
- Wordup, dictionaries (exclusive to Korean models I think)
- 8/16/32GB.
- Price range : 289,000KRW ~ 399,000 KRW (in USD ~$250 - $350)

KOREAN RELEASE DATE : Jan 1st

I really hope 21 hours is with wi-fi on, and the battery life is much greater with wi-fi off.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 110
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #21 of 110
The more I think about it, the better this seems. 64GB (32GB internal + 32GB card), an interface that doesn't suck, decent battery life, and most importantly the potential to have a proper digital out to feed to your gear of choice. As long as you could add a DAC and amp stage without increasing the footprint massively (i.e. like the Arrow amp)... potential to be holy-grail stuff methinks!

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 110

Quote:
Quote:
so,what are exactly the digital outputs?  I got the HDMI output..but is there a different output plug like coax or something as well or will i need to use a special HDMI coax cable for digital sound?    

I think it's gonna have some sort of proprietary plug to which you connect an adapter for various outputs - HDMI and COAX for example. Adding the actual plugs directly to the player would make it far too bulky, although a mini toslink should be possible to fit to a decently sized player.

thanks/  but isn't it a problem if both digital video and digital audio goes together in the same plug??  i mean..for using with dac's mented only for audio use.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #23 of 110

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
so,what are exactly the digital outputs?  I got the HDMI output..but is there a different output plug like coax or something as well or will i need to use a special HDMI coax cable for digital sound?    

I think it's gonna have some sort of proprietary plug to which you connect an adapter for various outputs - HDMI and COAX for example. Adding the actual plugs directly to the player would make it far too bulky, although a mini toslink should be possible to fit to a decently sized player.

thanks/  but isn't it a problem if both digital video and digital audio goes together in the same plug??  i mean..for using with dac's mented only for audio use.

They clearly all use a mini hdmi plug or something similar.  If that were a problem the ipod lod cable wouldn't exist.  The real question imo is whether or not it will output composite & spdif outside of video playback.  I don't think it would be hard to make a hdmi-c to single rca cable, though I might have to cut apart an hdmi-c cable to accomplish this as I can't find a place to buy the connector anywhere.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #25 of 110
I will wait until some users report that everything  works fine with the digital output and their dacs before i will buy.  with all due the respect to its features the main feature for me is the digital output.  it will take a little time until it comes to israel anyway.

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 110

Quote:
Any pricing info released yet?

See Post #18. Note that the prices are for the Korean market. If Cowon brings this product to the rest of the world, the price may be raised or reduced. The prices for the Korean market will be ~ $250 - $350 (8GB - 32GB).

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #27 of 110
Would be surprised if the HDMI out outputted a digital audio stream, rather than just analog LPCM. Even still, it'd be a first for a Cowon to have a kind of line out solution...

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 110
Funny thing is I was about to do a Head-fi search on good SQ android running phones...

I had a J3 (in fact the very J3 the thread poster now owns :p), which was a very nice player but I felt like I spent too much money on something that only played music, especially since I find speakers more enjoyable (but I can't carry those around either...). I still have no portable music player at the moment; I was considering things like the cheap Sansa Clip+, or some sort of good SQ phone like the Nokia 5800, but this definitely has caught my interest well enough for me to keep holding out. I loved the J3 sound, and now it finally comes with features that should hopefully rival things like the Touch and Zune HD...*drool*. Disappointed though that it only goes up to 32GB again and apparently, if I read correctly, Android apps can't be purchased for it?

PS: Sorensiim I did not know about this xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back