cowon d2 with im716?(or just etymotics?)
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 12
I used to have this combo. To little bass for my liking and too piercing in the treble. If you already have the IEMs, I'd recommend something more bassy/warm like a Sony Walkman. Getting a FiiO for that combo may also help, with the bass at least.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 12
My two cents. I am listening to the im716s (modded at 47ohm) in combo with the Sony NWA818 and a FiiO E3. Very, very nice. Great detail, not harsh. The amp bumps up the bass (smooths out the sound a bit too), and I also did some EQ clear bass tinkering (+2).

Can't speak for the other DAPs. But this is a winning combo. Redsky is right.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 12
I think you'll find the sound of both the Cowon D2 and Etymotics to both be on the analytical side. Too much of a good thing IMHO. Had the ER6i with the D2 and that combo did not last long. I have found that Shure's and theD2 are a sweet combo.

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Yeah, I'll second what tstarn06 said, that combo oughta have quite punchy and deep bass and still tons of detail from the iM716s.

iM716 + Fuze + FiiO is pretty good combo, I doubt the bass is as deep/punchy as the Sony though, the Fuze in general seems to sound pretty muffled to me as a whole when I EQ up the lower frequencies which doesn't help (it has no bass/treble boost or anything else like that) which is why I usually end up using my iRiver instead. Then again the Sansa is cheaper than the Sony and comes with an SD slot.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will the soundstage be too small for the er4 & cowon combo GreatDane? i am a detail freak, but i wont want all the details mushed up together if you know what i mean. thanks for the comments

I never expect to hear much soundstage with any IEM, comparing to full size. Still, I would never describe the ER4/Cowon to sound mushed up with a good recording. I've never compared my Cowon player to other players mentioned in this thread. I have read many good things about the Sony DAPs.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

greatdane:

do you EQ the d2 when you use the etymotics? and i am assuming you are using the er4P? does turning the BBE to 1 increase the soundstage when compared to no BBE? thanks for your help!

the 3DS feature increases the soundstage. Set this to '2' as any higher = sounds too fake and '1' doesn't do much.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

greatdane:

do you EQ the d2 when you use the etymotics? and i am assuming you are using the er4P? does turning the BBE to 1 increase the soundstage when compared to no BBE? thanks for your help!

I can agree with chinesekiwi. The 3D can help and I do use it with my ER6 which I use for sleep at very low volume(6/40)...this is with the i7, not D2.

BBE is also not bad, I think I have my ER4P preset configured with this feature at level 1. This seems to take the edge off and smooth the sound. I also use the Mach3Bass for low level listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back