Cowon D2 Vs Zune
Oct 5, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 62
i prefer the ease of use and interface of the zune. ive yet to use either with an amp. the zune's screen is brilliant! its so clean and big.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 62
Depends on what you're looking for. With all the possible tweaks including firmware of choice depending on needs, variable memory size depending of flash cards used, EQ options galore and a host of non MP3 features it's really hard not to like the D2. The Zune has a better file management system and as mentioned, more intuitive to use. So do you need flexibility (D2) or simplicity (Zune).

When listening to classical or jazz, I ALWAYS choose the D2. For complex music that requires critical listening I don't believe the two can be compared. Yes, SQ is really better than the Zune, albeit, not as warm. Other genres like Rock, Pop, World, New Age & etc, Sq is a toss up.

At least that's been my experience with the two. I think they are both fine players and it comes down to what is most important to you as well the music you are most likely to llsten to.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #18 of 62
I have had the D2 and Zune 8gb. D2 is certainly better sounding and the with the great EQ you can custom the sound according to your preference. I used them with Shure 530s and I actually heard hissing on Zune and not on D2( that's my ears though). Zune certainly sounds great but IMO it's nowhere close to D2. D2 has more compressed sound and I felt more impact in bass. While Zune has more full bodied kind of sound which certainly is fun to listen to.

Oct 5, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 62
Another advantage w/ the Zune 80 or 120 is you have plenty of storage space should you have some favorite recordings that you can re-rip to lossless if you have the cd or cd equivalent file on a hard drive somewhere. Try some lossless rips , space be damned if you can spare it.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 62
Hm, seems like you guys all (for the most part) prefer the Zune, which is good, since that's what I was leaning towards anyway, mostly because it's locally available and I don't have to order it online.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While Zune has more full bodied kind of sound which certainly is fun to listen to.

Seems like the Zune's full bodied sound should be better for classical music.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 62
I have a Zune 120 and a D2, the D2 is kinda' dusty right now. Even with it's great sound, I find the D2 somewhat tiring to use. The Zune is the player that gets the most action, followed by my A829 for the SQ alone. As a complete package the Zune is pretty hard to beat.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Zune 120 and a D2, the D2 is kinda' dusty right now. Even with it's great sound, I find the D2 somewhat tiring to use. The Zune is the player that gets the most action, followed by my A829 for the SQ alone. As a complete package the Zune is pretty hard to beat.

Haha. Now all the young hip pplz will be rushing for it.
L3000.gif

*cough* Sorry...too tempting.

Anyways. Well I had the D2 and at one point me and my friend switched mp3 players. His was a Zune. I liked it. Not AS much as my D2 because I prefer touch screen, better battery life, and better sound quality but truly you can't go wrong with the Zune as I also enjoyed the Zune.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 62
D2 requires a lot of EQ tweaking and quite picky with the earphone. i sold my D2 for sony S639. considered zune 16 before but lack of unicode support and requires Zune software, it's a NO in my book
smily_headphones1.gif

DRAG N DROP FTW !!!

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #27 of 62
I spent a bit of time with my friend's zune and was generally impressed with what microsoft were able to put together. With microsoft in mind, I prefer the D2 for the same reasons why I prefer Linux over Windows...
I enjoy having control over everything in my device, or at least as much as I can without sacrificing SQ. The D2 offers UMS/UMC mode and file browsing mode which is a huge must for me. Lets not forget Flac and Ogg which I use everyday.

I cannot stand hardware forcing me to install any kind of software I don't need, or tying me down to a specific OS. Keep the hardware simple, and accessible to all if you want success.

That said, for the user who wants the "just works" experience (provided they are running the supported OS), the zune will mostly fit that want.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Returned Zune 120 because it kept rebooting on me and got Sony S639F. Love the Sony; sweet looking, sweet UI, and sweet sound.

I have a few Zunes(2 120s & 1 80) & I've never had any problems w/ any of them. I'm curious to what you mean when you say it kept rebooting on you.I have it set-up to sync w/ music that I've ripped wma losslessly into my wmp11 library which also places it in folder on one of my hard drives. It syncs flawlessly & automatically whenever I hook up my Zune to my PC & open up the Zune software. Sorry to hear you had problems & like I said I am curious to how you had things set up

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Returned Zune 120 because it kept rebooting on me and got Sony S639F. Love the Sony; sweet looking, sweet UI, and sweet sound.

since u auditioned both players, how does S630 series stack up against zune in term of SQ?

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How is the 120 working after that recalibration procedure ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back