Cowon D2 vs iPod Touch
Dec 11, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, the touch a brick? its technically smaller than the D2, since its so much thinner. it is heavier (120g vs 91g), but definitely not a brick
iPod Touch vs Cowon D2
your user name also suggests a bit of bias.

True I love Cowon...but I have good reason...they make the best daps in the world..

But I say what I feel is the truth....I had the touch and thought it felt like a brick...but than again I'm used to much smaller daps....I will say, like I said before I thought the touch sounded good...colored but good.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 35
I gotta say, if you're a sucker for useless extras like me, and want a highly customizable mp3 player, the D2 will fit the bill perfectly. You can change the theme, add a dictionary, and even add flash games.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 35
I wouldn't call the iTouch a brick at all, but it didn't have a form which I felt was "tossable"
smily_headphones1.gif
. My D2 in a silicone skin gets tossed about the car, home office and thrown in/out of coat or pants pockets, constantly. Maybe some iTouch owners could offer their experiences with the device's ruggedness.

As for SQ, I find the D2 highly configurable for most listening needs and portable/semi-portable phone types. It hasn't buckled under any (compatible) audio file I've thrown its way and gets much use in my car, doctor's offices, etc. Plus, I love its fast, skinnable, direct touch interface.

The iTouch had a great, fluid touch interface in terms of how actions flowed - even when changing functional paths. Sometimes more eye candy than function for me, but neat stuff. I wasn't enamored of the SQ in particular, but that may have been due to the in-store audio files which were loaded on their demos. Just didn't have a sense of mid presence or easy highs I'd need to work with via the EQ (this was using my own phones in the store). But, that's just me.

- wader

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #19 of 35
you are right though. in comparison to the d2, the mids are a little more shallow. mids are the thing that make people think of smooth and silk. something for which cowon has always thrown its technology: mids.

the ipod has in no incarnation ever been a mid player. for that matter, never has it been a treble or bass player, rather just a player. if you like the sounds of mids, you should get a player that is catered toward mids. again, for me, the bass on the cowon leaves heaps to be desired in my bass-demanding genre: trance. i use no ef sound effects as they hurt my ears with the d2.

the touch hasn't the best pairing with denon c700 which are boomy headphones, but i cannot listen to the d2 with them as there is little control. for atrio m5, it is closer but the thunder i get used to with m5 is gone with the d2 replaced by a slower rumble that has less face resolution.

treble? hard to say. i have much more experience with the d2: almost a year. it has a tweating effect to some areas that seems to add detail but also fatigues me (they seem to hang on for just a tad too long). again, i think the ipod bests it here as it is less fatiguing but also has the illusion of less extension. i am not sure about this.

the mids is where the d2 wins hands down, but it is more probably due to a focus cowon has in their firmware to permit mids to be exagerrated.

with my beyer dt880, i find that most of the areas of the sq of the d2 that i do not like with iems and dt770 are gone. it sounds phenomenal. if just a little fatiguing

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gulice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ipod touch wins in terms of style as well, though of course that issue should only be a minor concern
wink.gif

It's a smooth, sleek style - as a personal DAP (as opposed to phone) I feel it will help influence the next generation of touch interfaces for players to both imitate and move around what Apple put in the road.

My D2 still gets plenty of curious onlookers and nifty "wow"s when I use it in relatively public places, though
wink.gif

- wader

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 35
Agree as well, some of my friends was like wow what's that when I want to switch songs on my Cowon D2. You can't miss the iTouch as well, what comes of the iTouch lineout with a Tomahawk amp is just amazing.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a smooth, sleek style - as a personal DAP (as opposed to phone) I feel it will help influence the next generation of touch interfaces for players to both imitate and move around what Apple put in the road.

My D2 still gets plenty of curious onlookers and nifty "wow"s when I use it in relatively public places, though
wink.gif

- wader

I already have a guy at work asking me where to get a D2 from.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 35
get the touch if you want a pda,
get the D2 if you want to listen to music,

it is my personal opinion that owning a soul and owning an apple product are incompatible concepts, but thats just my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

the D2 has the SD slot, and flash apps support, but the lack of wifi and an customizable OS, might put it behind, so, if you want a pretty device that shows photos and you can surf the web on, get the touch,

if you want to listen to music, go for the D2,

btw, thanks to ADATA, the D2 currently stands on 24gb max storage (8gb D2 + 16gb SDHC) meaning its only behind the 32gb zen and maybe the 32gb sandisk vision (unconfirmed), making it the 2nd/3rd biggest Solid state storage DAP/PMP,

its a shame it dosnt have a faster processor to be able to run flash smoother and not feel so heavy when playing some lossless formats,

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a shame it dosnt have a faster processor to be able to run flash smoother and not feel so heavy when playing some lossless formats,

Now that they're moving towards a Flash-based UI, I wonder if they're working to tweak the engine a bit. One could hope it's not just h/w (performance has been fine for me, but I haven't taxed it in the Flash apps area yet).

- wader

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 35
Well if it's any help I will be pairing the player with E500s. I would love the WiFi and the sleekness of the ipod touch, which is mainly what I'm basing my purchase off of. If I jailbreak it... That just opens up a whole new window. I think It would be a very neat toy to have around, that just happens to play music!

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Touch is too big for me.The D2 has the perfect size for my needs-and i love the slightly geeky look
biggrin.gif

I have to agree...not only big but embarrassing to carry around because of the size...I took the touch to the gym 1 day and felt like an idiot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back