Cowon D2 -VS- Apple iPod Nano
Jul 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I needed warranty for my Ipod just recently...
frown.gif

Their subcontractor in the UK is really bad... They kept sending me back my Nano without doing anything with it. At the end I took it to an Apple shop, where they changed it to a refurbished unit (with gaps on the housing). I sold it and will think twice before I buy anything from Apple in the future.

A warranty is better than NO warranty IMO. I'm not a huge fan of Apple but I've never had a prob with them in that regard - neither my oldest son. And we have had them replace iPod's.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 47
I'm quite happy with my warraty, since I got 100% satisfactory in all of my replacements. And after hating iTunes, I fell in love with it again after buying my Classic. Syncing works great!

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 47
I agree, the touchscreen is not very good if the kids are going to play with it.
The OP also made it clear that she is not concerned about SQ, so again, the Nano wouldn't be a bad call.
iTunes sucks bad though IMO. I find its navigation and overview to be clumsy at best.

I am not certain about the different warranties, but you might want to look into players like a Sandisk Fuze or one of the Sonys. Maybe a Crative ZEN or ZEN X-FI.
One of the major benefits of not having an iPod is that you are not tied to iTunes, however much some here will argue that it's the best thing since sliced banana bread.
You can use a subscription service like Rhapsody for example. You pay a relatively low monthly fee and get to load your DAP full of songs. Yes, you don't get to keep those songs if you cancel the service, but with iTunes, you pay pretty much the same price for an album that you would pay for the CD, but instead all you get is crappy 128kbit mp3 files.

On a side note, the D2 is in fact very easily pocketable. It's not quite as small as the nano, but it still is very small and will not bother anyone in their pants pocket.
I also have not noticed any hiss coming from my D2, though I use ER-4P with the S adapter, so the 100Ohm impedance may help with that.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 47
Her kids are 14 and 17 IIRC, so I don't think the touch screen would be a problem.

And I talked to her about this earlier today. She's thinking about both of them as of yet.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KromaXamorK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget iTunes®©™, The D2 is simply drag and drop.
biggrin.gif

I don't know why Drag and Drop is not preferable. It can work on almost any computer with a USB port, you'd need iTunes otherwise. I know loads of people who don't use iTunes.

The D2 is not just Drag and Drop btw.

Infinite memory expansion via SD is a big boon for me, show me a Flash iPod with 48GB memory and as many hours in battery-life.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #22 of 47
these threads are so funny when it gets to the 'if you want sq, don't go for ipod'. other than cleanliness of headphone out on d2 only for amsp, the d2 does not beat any ipod for actual sound quality.

yeah, it works well with itunes too. i used it like that the entire time i had it. drag and drop from itunes. as for ease of use: how can it get easier than itunes? ive never had the trouble mentioned in this thread and ive used mac and windows versions. resource hog? it hardly uses more than any other true multimedia outthere. it is far faster than sony software and you can go gapless on any file system that apple support. quite an amazing system really.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why Drag and Drop is not preferable. It can work on almost any computer with a USB port, you'd need iTunes otherwise. I know loads of people who don't use iTunes.

Infinite memory expansion via SD is a big boon for me, show me a Flash iPod with 48GB memory and as many hours in battery-life.

I don't say that, my preference goes to drag&drop.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #24 of 47
To the OP - I wouldn't worry too much about the iTunes panning here. iTunes may work for her, it may not.

The amazing thing about technology is that there is something for everybody, and some solutions are better for specific applications and users than others.

I can't stand iPhoto, I use Aperture and Photoshop myself, but my Mom loves iPhoto on her MB. All she does is view and sort photos, so iPhoto is a better solution than Photoshop for her.

Likewise with iTunes. Yes, it can be confusing and without writing Applescript can be 'underpowered', but realize everything is confusing to a newbie. Ever tried to teach an 80 y.o. grandfather how to drag and drop (on a computer)? Heck, even the iPod interface is confusing to him.

Some people need an all-in-one free application that does music, podcasts, ripping, tagging, album art, photos, contacts, calendar, purchase games (games aren't half bad for $5),etc. I don't see how, say Songbird, is less confusing than iTunes.

iTunes is not the only solution, but for a basic, Swiss Army Knife application that's free and bundled, it is a godsend considering I wasted my youth struggling with Sony's SonicStage for my MD. Drag and drop is great, but tell a newbie to use multiple apps to rip CDs, add album art, subscribe to podcasts add photos and organize it all, you better hope you don't work in technical support.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #25 of 47
and without software, drag and drop 48 gigs of stuff and see what works and what fails. all my drag and drop players are only in use with itunes or from time to time with foobar2000 but that does not work nearly as well.

want multi genre? artists? select songs only? making playlists without software too is really rubbish. i can see how years ago when using md or cd or 256mb players, drag and drop was the bees knees, but now with multi gig and multi dozen gig setups, it is much easier to use with software, drag and drop or not. itunes allows me to do everything with my former d2 or my current meizu m6 or my mates, archos.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 47
Well. She decided. She's going for the Cowon D2 4GB. Best part is that she wants me to make sure it works
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best part is that she wants me to make sure it works
biggrin.gif

Haha nice,
Enjoy it while you have it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #28 of 47
Stylish is a matter of opinion, and some consider "Not an iPod®©™" a Pro...

The D2 has better SQ, drag and drop, SDHC expansion, when you run out of space buy another card, has flash apps, theme and no playing modifications, an fm/am analouge radio, other nice features like a text viewer, scribble pad, calculator, dab radio and dmb tv in Korea option etc.

It is well worth the extra money in the long run as when the ipod is full, you need to upgrade, but carrying a few high capacity SD cards is no problem.

The D2 doesnt have a warranty, but i have heard many more horror stories about broken/faulty ipods than i have any other player, even all put together!

The D2's screen is not extremley durable, the weakest part of the player naturally, as a flash based player, but if dropped on a hard floor when in a good case, it will survive.

It is a much better player imo, even though a little fat/thick.

I have used a Nano too, my sister has a Green 8gb, so i speak from experiance.

Last of all how can you not consider 52hr music battery life a pro?! You dont have to worry about it ever being flat, mine has never gone flat when away from home, wheras my zen vision m on shuffle and skipping tracks alot would frequently crap out on the bus, which was very frustrating! The battery life is the biggest pro with this player IMO.

Matt

EDIT: Ahh, Great Choice! Enjoy experimenting with it while you have it!!

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well. She decided. She's going for the Cowon D2 4GB. Best part is that she wants me to make sure it works
biggrin.gif

Get her or advise her to get an 8GB card or two. Crazy not too.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I second this, that is one of the main reasons I love my D2, for the exact reason of it being drag and drop and no need of itunes. Yeah, the battery life on my D2 is just amazing, plus it has 24gb of storage (8 internal and 16gb from sdhc). SQ is just icing on the cake.

All that being said, it does indeed sound like the nano might be the way to go cause of the warrenty, and it is a "hip" gadget.

edit: lol she went with the D2, sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back