Cowon D2 -VS- Apple iPod Nano
Jul 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

elmer_42

100+ Head-Fier
A relative of mine is looking into purchasing a new DAP. She doesn't really care about SQ, she's just looking for a nice player that can do audio and video. I forgot to ask what format her music is, but I'll guess that it's MP3, ripped from CDs. So far I'm looking at these two players, but if you could suggest any more that are $150 or less, that would be good. So far I have the following:
[size=small]Cowon D2:[/size]
Pros
Touch screen
Large screen (2.5")
SDHC port for expansion
Drag and drop functionality
Cons
Not an iPod®©™
No warranty

[size=small]iPod Nano[/size]
Pros
It is an iPod®©™
Simple GUI
Lots of accessories
iTunes
Worldwide warranty
Stylish
Cons
Smaller screen (2.0")
iTunes

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 47
Don't forget iTunes®©™, The D2 is simply drag and drop.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 47
If she doensn't care about SQ, then it's obvious
wink.gif

iPod ofcourse!

Here's a list of good things about the iPod:
Simple, attractive GUI
Lots of assecoires
No-questions-aksed warranty
Stylish

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 47
Is iTunes only available to the US? She doesn't live here, she's just visiting. She lives in Africa. Can you use iTunes in Africa?

e:And what about the warranties? Are the warranties on each product still valid? Would there be additional shipping charges?

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 47
Apple's warranty is worldwide, so that's a plus, and iTunes is Apple's way of dominating the entire globe, so yes, it will also be available in Africa.
Apple ships free, at least, they do here in The Netherlands.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 47
the two have very similar sounds except the nano has a wider sound stage. they both exhibit similar levels of hiss but the d2 is only better for sound if you like to tweak or us amps. except that the nano can use line out.

itunes is so much easier than drag and drop. when i owned d2, i used itunes. if i did not, nothing worked well unless i worked so hard to make all folders work perfectly: really drag and drop i see only as an advantage when using software: or software that can actually drag album artwork, handle id3 tags properly and get everything for that machine in perfect order otherwise, it will be out of order with no album artwork etc.

also: as for sq: there is no gapless playback for the cowon. it is more expensive and larger. battery is a bit longer but not much and it won't fit in trousers very easily

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 47
iTunes can be helpful for newbies. Ripping CDs, tagging, adding album art can be done easily. It is also extremely easy to subscribe to audio and video podcasts to get free programming - something I notice few newbies with other players do because it can be complicated without iTunes (or Zune).

See if you can get it at Costco, as they have a 90-day return policy with no restocking fee. If iTunes/iPod does not live up to the ads, you can return it. If she can setup an iTunes account while she's in the US, Costco sells iTunes gift cards at a discount, though it's just as easy buying MP3s from the amazon.com store.

Another thing to consider is getting better earphones. She'll hate the iBuds on the long flight back to SA. Some Costcos also stock UE IEMs.

I'm not promoting Costo specifically, but if her time in the US is limited, buying and possibly returning at a brick-and-mortar store might be easier than an online store.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 47
Tricky Wombat, I doubt the buds will be a problem. She's buying two, for her kids. It's not specifically hers, but she may commandeer it.

I'm going to let her know what you're all saying and let her make the decision. Thanks for the help, guys, I didn't really know where to start.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 47
I don't exactly consider iTunes a "pro" but your mileage may vary. I was only too happy to nuke it from my computer upon receiving my Sony.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 47
I was hesitant to put iTunes as a pro, too, but I'll talk more in-depth to my relative.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 47
i used to hate it too but i don't see what is the matter with it anymore. it is so easy to get to any song i want or video, to organise in any manner i want etc. automatically does the realy boring stuff like album artwork and... is perfect.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hesitant to put iTunes as a pro, too, but I'll talk more in-depth to my relative.

Considering it's for her kids and she may "occasionally" use it I'd get with the iPod/iTunes combo. The iPod isn't all that bad a DAP and considering that she needs the world-wide warranty coverage it's an obvious choice. Plus, having a D2 is a time intensive task, and 2 players for children is a "no-no" IMO. For her sanity's sake go with the "pod". + FWIW as I happen to be a rarity - I LOVE iTunes as an all-around app. saves lot's of time and syncs with very few probs.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 47
I'd just get the clip for her. iTunes is so confusing. I have a hard time figuring out what everything is. And when you delete a song of your harddisk itunes will keep giving you these errors that I couldnt find those songs. You cant edit them either for example if you wanted to make playlists or if you want to keep them out of your shuffle mode. You cant export your songs either. Itunes is resource hog and its the worst program I've worked with. I consider it a huge fat con.

I'd just get a cheap clip. When was the last time you needed warranty for any DAPs?

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just get the clip for her. iTunes is so confusing. I have a hard time figuring out what everything is. And when you delete a song of your harddisk itunes will keep giving you these errors that I couldnt find those songs. You cant edit them either for example if you wanted to make playlists or if you want to keep them out of your shuffle mode. You cant export your songs either. Itunes is resource hog and its the worst program I've worked with. I consider it a huge fat con.

I'd just get a cheap clip. When was the last time you needed warranty for any DAPs?

I needed warranty for my Ipod just recently...
frown.gif

Their subcontractor in the UK is really bad... They kept sending me back my Nano without doing anything with it. At the end I took it to an Apple shop, where they changed it to a refurbished unit (with gaps on the housing). I sold it and will think twice before I buy anything from Apple in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back