Cowon D2 or Sony a820?
Jul 2, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 Jet Effects has Mach3Bass and EQ settings which can be used to boost low frequencies. Something is/was wrong with your setup -- I think your SA6 or resistor adaptor may be the problem. What kind of files are you listening to? And don't bother with wireless.

I don't think so lol. Here, check out this old thread on the issue I started back when I was sampling DAP's with a view to purchase: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...s-help-325367/

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOLD!
biggrin.gif

Nice one! I think you've made the best choice for your tastes! Be interestin to see what you think after you've got it and tried it out.
cool.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so lol. Here, check out this old thread on the issue I started back when I was sampling DAP's with a view to purchase: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...s-help-325367/

Did you ever upgrade the firmware? It just seems odd since bass complaints on Cowon products are rare. Here's another opinion. I sampled the Sony but didn't like it as well as my iAudio U3. Different strokes I guess -- but calling it "crap" wasn't necessary.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 72
Might be due to a difference in definition over bass. D2 bass comes off as more transient but less textured and weighty/punchy to me relative to my iRiver (never tried the Sonys, gotta get around to it), also I distinctly got the impression when a track was led by fast paced bassy riffs, the D2 couldn't seem to keep up.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever upgrade the firmware? It just seems odd since bass complaints on Cowon products are rare. Here's another opinion. I sampled the Sony but didn't like it as well as my iAudio U3. Different strokes I guess -- but calling it "crap" wasn't necessary.

No I didn't upgrade the firmware, though that was suggested to me, mainly because of time (I only had the cowon, along with the sony 829 and Samsung Yp-P2, for seven days on an opened box return, and, considering this as my first foray into DAP's, I wasn't set up for testing before I got em, which ate into my time also; having music files prepared and ready, at good quality bitrates, to transfer to each device and comparatively test). Maybe thats the anwser but time and the hassle of having to downgrade again if I was to return D2 meant I didn't bother.

I think maybe it is different folks different strokes as someone says in the thread you linked me to, though that thread does reference bass rolloff in the low frequencies. I apologise for saying the D2 bass was crap. As you rightly point out, that wasn't necessary. As much as I'm aware of it, I think I was exampling the classic behaviour of venting personal frustrations out on some trivial topic. So, yes, I apologise for that. I think, maybe now I have a couple of sets of headphones (SA6 and SE530), a resistor adaptor, more experience and a better sense and first hand understanding of sound, marrying up theoretical knowledge/trems/jargon with practical experience of sound and the properties and components etc of sound and sound quality, maybe if I listened to the D2 again I would think differently. Realise, that because I was pushed for time to reach a descision, that descision being a purchasing descision, maybe I was focusing and looking for things to rule out options. I will say, if memory serves me well, that I wasn't impressed at all by the bass on the D2, certainly comparatively to the bass on both the sony and samsung I was side-testing with, and, maybe this biased my opinion on the SQ of the D2 cos I couldn't look past it to see what it could of been good at SQ-wise. Also, any over frustration I express at this may also root in, at least partially, the fact that otherwise, choosing the D2 was a no-brainer! I mean the extent of its EQ and sound effects was phenominal, the arsenal of extra features it had impressive and appealing, the facility to expand memory capacity with an expansion card, regular firmware updates..... Ultimately, the poor bass response, IMO, rent all this trivial, as a good SQ and sonic signature suited to your taste is the primary objective.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #36 of 72
Hey guys,

Just picked up the A829 tonight, and it is awesome! Sound is a huge improvement over my iPod.

The only thing is, with the player fully empty, I only have about 12gb of free space. Does that sound about right to you guys?

Other than that, it is great!

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Just picked up the A829 tonight, and it is awesome! Sound is a huge improvement over my iPod.

The only thing is, with the player fully empty, I only have about 12gb of free space. Does that sound about right to you guys?

Other than that, it is great!

Hey there, good call! I'm glad you're happy with it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't be sure but I think my 829 had about 14 GB of free space when I got it/out the box. This is because the firmware takes up some of your memory and is common to all DAP's, to varying degrees. 12 GB sounds low though! As I say, my memory is a bit hazy as to whwther this is right. Anybody co-oberate this being a tad low?

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds wrong -- Are there demo music, videos and pictures?

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't be sure but I think my 829 had about 14 GB of free space when I got it/out the box. This is because the firmware takes up some of your memory and is common to all DAP's, to varying degrees. 12 GB sounds low though! As I say, my memory is a bit hazy as to whwther this is right. Anybody co-oberate this being a tad low?

My 829 came with 14.7GB free and my 8GB A808 came with 7.5GB free.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 829 came with 14.7GB free and my 8GB A808 came with 7.5GB free.

Chers for that! I thought 12 GB sounded low.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #41 of 72
You know how they count the 16gb right? You need to subtract roughly 7%, check wikipedia for explanation. So your 16gb is really 14,9gb.

12gb is too low though. Try formating the player and see what it says.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #42 of 72
Hey guys,

Yep, I reformatted the players and got around 14.75gb. Thanks!

Now I just need to get rid of my SF5pros and get a pair of UM2s!

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by esbenm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know how they count the 16gb right? You need to subtract roughly 7%, check wikipedia for explanation. So your 16gb is really 14,9gb.

12gb is too low though. Try formating the player and see what it says.

Its not 7%. Its more a focus on differences between what companies can get away calling a megabyte.

HDD companies think it is 1000kb, but it reality its 1024kb, as treated by most software.

So you have 16GiB, not 16Gb. Anywho, got mine yesterday and I never knew my EX91's had this much Bass!
smily_headphones1.gif

Clear Bass is fantastic, the player is very nice and responsive! Just a shame i'm missing out on the UI of my previous player! A iPod Touch.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #44 of 72
7% is just an easy way to calculate and explain to non-tech people like my parents, that a stated 500gb external harddrive will really be 465gb and a stated 8gb flash card will really be 7,4gb.

I have the ER6i with my 829, fantastic sound. Not bass heavy but a nice balanced/full sound (considering IEM limitations).

I really wanted to buy the SF5 pros instead, but the whole cord-around-the-ear thing threw me off. Why are you selling yours?

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #45 of 72
They are awfully uncomfortable, it is almost torturous to wear them. The memory wire really hurts my ears, and the earphone housing also hurts the inside of my ears. Get the UM2s if anything, they sound great, and are the most comfortable IEMs I've yet to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back