Cowon D2 or Sony a820?
Jun 27, 2008 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

chiefroastbeef

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I'm sick of the crappy sound broadcasting from my 5g Ipod video, and I want to change so something better.

As of now i'm looking at the A820 and the D2. I absolutely LOVE the look of the A820, however, it is more expensive than the D2. The D2 has a SD slot for more music, the A820 doesn't. The D2 is thicker in size, the A820 is slim and sexy. The D2's touch interface seems sort of inconvenient, but does it work well? I haven't tried it yet.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thanks!

Sam

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 72
Vote for Sony A820!IMO the Sony A820 sounds much better than the D2,slimmer,sexier!
biggrin.gif
One more reason I'll go for the Sony is the screen(I don't like touch screen!)
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 72
I think most people would agree the D2 sounds better (I've never heard a Sony player - thinking of getting one soon though if ALO's Ken figures out a LOD).

While the D2 isn't exactly sexy and sleek, both devices are actually very small. Personally I'd go with the Sony as I like my devices slim, especially if you plan to strap an amp to it.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 72
Thanks guys.

I've had the opportunity to hold both in my hands, the D2 is a bit thick, I don't want an unidentifiable bulge sticking out from my pocket.

The Sony is graciously sexy, and from all I've read, people who experienced both recommend the Sony DAPs over the D2. The A820 isn't SD expandable right? That is a stinker.... I think i'm leaning towards the Sony even though it is more expensive, it is so so slim and nice looking, plus I'm not a fan for touch screens.

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys.

I've had the opportunity to hold both in my hands, the D2 is a bit thick, I don't want an unidentifiable bulge sticking out from my pocket.

The Sony is graciously sexy, and from all I've read, people who experienced both recommend the Sony DAPs over the D2. The A820 isn't SD expandable right? That is a stinker.... I think i'm leaning towards the Sony even though it is more expensive, it is so so slim and nice looking, plus I'm not a fan for touch screens.

x2!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 72
biggrin.gif
disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most people would agree the D2 sounds better (I've never heard a Sony player - thinking of getting one soon though if ALO's Ken figures out a LOD).

While the D2 isn't exactly sexy and sleek, both devices are actually very small. Personally I'd go with the Sony as I like my devices slim, especially if you plan to strap an amp to it.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 72
I would agree that more people think the D2 sounds better, than otherwise. Especially when you can better pair the D2 up to an amp, than you can with the Sony, since the Sony has a noisier headphone out.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Styrbjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with that thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...y-a818-269526/
Do you really need another one?

the a820 mentioned in the OP is a different machine then the a818, and there have been reports about differences in sound signature.

Jun 28, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys.

yea its functionality/convenience in actual use is superior.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the a820 mentioned in the OP is a different machine then the a818, and there have been reports about differences in sound signature.

Awww dang. If only I had read this two days ago. I just ordered a Toshiba T802 (In Japan, 8gb) instead of an A728 because I auditioned an 818 and was annoyed at the hiss present. Wasn't able to test the new model so took a chance on the Toshiba since it was more convenient.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 72
Just got a A829 and compared to the D2 it's a fail. Sounds over processed compared to my D2 - sound stage isn't as full either. Sounds good, but not as satisfying as my Cowon. One thing though - w/Senn HD202's and PX100's there is no hiss. Lower impedance phones I really cant say as I'm a poor bugger.

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Styrbjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with that thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...y-a818-269526/
Do you really need another one?

What the hell are forums for if I can't ask a question I want? Let me speak my thoughts please.

Thanks a lot guys for the input! I'm going with either a Sony A7XX or A8XX series players because of the look and size. I really wish the D2 was thinner, but it is too thick for my preference.

Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #15 of 72
Good choice, I just love my A829. Every time I use it (daily) I am reminded how well it works, how good it sounds and how much better than iPod it is. Brilliant mp3-player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back