Cowon D2 or Creative Zen - 8GB ??
Nov 27, 2007 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MrJingles

100+ Head-Fier
I need something to carry to the gym that sounds great and is small. SQ is most important, but I picked these 2 players because they're small and expandable with the cards.
Mp3 240vb is the only format I use. I will barely, if ever, use this for video so that's not an issue.
Anyone????
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I was just choosing between these two and ended up with a 2gig d2 (most music in on the sd cards, so I didn't pop for the four gig) - 2 gig from amazon is going for a pretty good deal.

I was surprised by how small the d2 really is.

As far as the sound, I've been impressed. I don't find it thin or cold as some folks have said. It's very impressive for a dap, driving my x3 with authority (zero hiss) and stretching but performing admirably tolerably with an AKG 500.

The touch screen is actually not bad. I was leaning to the zen because of the controls but ended up with the d2 for the sound (and flac) and have been surprised how well the touch works. I actually prefer the d2's menus to the creative's, although it takes a bit to get used to.

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just choosing between these two and ended up with a 2gig d2 (most music in on the sd cards, so I didn't pop for the four gig) - 2 gig from amazon is going for a pretty good deal.

I was surprised by how small the d2 really is.

As far as the sound, I've been impressed. I don't find it thin or cold as some folks have said. It's very impressive for a dap, driving my x3 with authority (zero hiss) and stretching but performing admirably tolerably with an AKG 500.

The touch screen is actually not bad. I was leaning to the zen because of the controls but ended up with the d2 for the sound (and flac) and have been surprised how well the touch works. I actually prefer the d2's menus to the creative's, although it takes a bit to get used to.

Thanks for the info jrosenth. I am leaning towards the D2 because I've read some reviews that say the Zen has had some build quality issues. I'm glad to hear the sq is not cold sounding and the touch screen is good. That does seem like a nice feature.
Again, my thanks.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 5
i read that you will be using this in the gym. I know the D2's touch screen is good, but I don't think it will be an ideal player for gym settings...imagine sweating then having to use anything with a touch interface...kind of a drag, but still I would choose Cowon over creative any day when it comes to portable
smily_headphones1.gif
...that being said you should look into Cowon's iaudio7 its flash and it goes all the way up to 16gb!

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by howl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i read that you will be using this in the gym. I know the D2's touch screen is good, but I don't think it will be an ideal player for gym settings...imagine sweating then having to use anything with a touch interface . . .

With the D2 in "Hold" mode, the physical - and + buttons can function as REW / FF while working on a machine. I would tend to doubt anyone at the gym would desire to take much time for navigating through any DAP/PMP for their music, rather than just skip in one direction or another . . . but I could be way off
smily_headphones1.gif

The touch interface doesn't seem affected by some moisture, at least from my (unexpected) testing!

Good call on the iAudio 7 - it's like the D2 SQ in a different package.

- wader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back