Cowon C2 Impression and Discusion Thread
Jun 10, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #46 of 141

Quote:
that is not really helping

the only info there is that it charges faster on AC than on direct USB, but no word on if it is usable during AC-Charge -.-
I just though someone could confirm it with say a 200Ohms phone charger or something, that it does NOT actually turn into UMS mode as the D2/D2+ does whenever charged via USB (it still has the ACconn though)

Here you go: http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/showpost.php?p=314970&postcount=92

Feel free to join in and ask questions.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #51 of 141

Quote:
anyone have the v5?

I have it. All I can say, that is not a music player. But it plays videos really fine and has a nice display. Well... video playing is what the V5 was build for. Spdif does not work with every firmware correctly. (I did not try the latest)

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #53 of 141
I just got this from Jetaudio (through amazon).   It's replacing my sansa fuze for Gym use.

Overall, I'm very impressed, even though I am not quite up to speed with all of its UI quirks.  The sound output dwarfs that of the fuze.  I've never used a cowon product before but i've been reading about them here and other places for years.  I'm suitably impressed, even though It will take me a while to get the perfect setting that will work for all my songs.  I think the player may be a bit to much for my ksc-75's i've been buying for years.

A few problems though:  Dedicated physical buttons for track up or down would have been great.  YOu can remap the volume controls but I like those to have dedicated buttons as well.  Speaking of which, I wish there were some dentation on the volume rocker so i could find it when its in my pocket.

The major problem:  Scrolling is a pain when there are massive amounts of files.  Scrolling with the fuze and the scroll wheel was easy.  The C2 is nice and smooth, but it's IMPOSSIBLE for small, fine movements.  It's especially a pain when there are small on screen buttons around the corners, like PREV or NEXT which are too easy to hit accidently.  I can't use a stylus because i'd just lose it at the gym. 

I also do not like proprietary cables. 

Microsd is great for me because I have a 32gb one i was using for my fuze.  the card has about 20 gigs on it and the C2 takes a few minutes to read it all.  The fuze would take an hour or more.  That's some improvement.

I can't add much on the audio quality front because I'm not as expert as some of you.  But the range of tweaks available is truly staggering. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #56 of 141
remember you can improve the speed of the MicroSD card using the panasonic SD formatter tool. have you tried that ?

as in format it with the right cluster size? If you know the right cluster size you can do it with you OS format tool. You could do that for cowon d2, although it was more a 'fix that horribly slow problem' not improve :D

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #57 of 141
I got the C2 today. It's basically the exact same as the 3-4 year old hardware of the D2/D2+ - only difference being a built-in speaker, a power/lock button instead of a slider,  MicroSD instead of big SD, and the Korean Telecom 20-pin port (same as on the J3/S9 and some Samsungs and Irivers) instead of the two-port contraption the D2 had.

Positives on the firmware side compared to the D2 are that the C2 is now gapless, has the current generation BBE enhancements, and plays unconverted videos, even h264/AAC/MP4 like the J3. Then again, who wants to watch videos on a sub-par 320x240 2.6" screen with bad viewing angles in 2011?

On the negative side, the user interface is pretty much a catastrophe. Describing it would take too much time, but I will post a video of the interface soon. The only saving grace for the C2 would be if Kizune, Claw, or any other of the usual suspects would completely redo the interface.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #58 of 141
Cowon C2 RMAA tests:

As usual, nothing out of the ordinary here. The C2 behaves like most other Cowon players ever made. Despite the bad UI you get plenty good sound quality for the rather low price (by Cowon standards).

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/index.php?dir=&search=c2&search_mode=f

If you have any questions regarding the results, just ask.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #59 of 141
Cowon C2 RMAA tests:

As usual, nothing out of the ordinary here. The C2 behaves like most other Cowon players ever made. Despite the bad UI you get plenty good sound quality for the rather low price (by Cowon standards).

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/index.php?dir=&search=c2&search_mode=f

If you have any questions regarding the results, just ask.

Bass roll off again like on D2... So use an impedance adapter or 64 ohm HP :D?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back