Cowon C2 bricked
Aug 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guhmo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, 
I recently purchased a 16GB Cowon C2. Right after the purchase, I plugged in a microSD card loaded with some music and it played well, no issues.

When I got home, I loaded some music onto the internal storage from my Macbook Pro.  Before I ejected it and tried it out, I also updated the firmware to 1.11 (from 1.02), which I downloaded from Cowon's site. 

When I unplugged it and turned it on, it updated the firmware, then turned itself off. Upon turning it back on, a screen of blue and red fuzzy lines appeared, and it appeared to be bricked.  I reset it by simultaneously pressing the + and - buttons until it reset itself, then Googled around until I reached the ABi and the iAudiophile forums.  On ABi, there were a couple of threads detailing issues that occurred when music was transferred from Macs due to the Mac placing hidden files into the Cowon.  I removed those both using a tool that was developed by an ABi member and through some Terminal commands also posted on an ABi forum.

When I subsequently ejected it, the same thing happened.  I've already tried using a WIndows PC, but none of the Mac files are on the device, and I've also tried downgrading the firmware to 1.10.  However, the device remains on the blue and red fuzzy bars.

Help! D: 

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 9
I brought mine to the shop where I bought it and they gave me a new one! :)
I used it exclusively with Windows and it's fine now. Files transferred to the microSD card through OS X function well.

Guess you're not as lucky as I am, evolutionx :frowning2:

-EDIT-
just received a reply from Cowon America to the email I sent them regarding the issue I had
Here is the reply: 

Quote:
On a windows based computer, try formatting the player's drive in FAT32. After the format, please reload the firmware to see if that corrects the problem.

Maybe that'll help, evolution?

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 9
For people who use MAC or any user that bricked your own C2, this tutorial will help you.

All congrats and credits must go to users joecool and WAI (both from IAUDIOphile)

Step by Step tutorial:

1. Get a PC with Windows Vista or 7
2. Download TCCTOOL (http://www.mediafire.com/?cgl5glc3q0pvrc2)
3. Download the latest C2 firmware
4. Boot Windows like down:

[Note for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users] i have found out that tcctool doesn't work and is unable to find the J3 while accepting to use Tcctool for Unbricking your J3. reboot PC and hit F8 before Vista or Win. 7 boot logo appears. There will be several options. Select [Disable driver signature enforcement] and that should allow you to use Tcctool. You'll have to do this step everytime if you want to use Tcctool though

5. Follow this tutorial in .pdf (http://www.mediafire.com/?bdvtd8jm24qhrph)
6. After the updated driver software done successfull, put the COWON_C2_FW.bin into TCCTOOL folder (same place where tcctool.exe is)
7. Type the command: tcctool -d cowons9 COWON_C2_FW.BIN
7.1 You must see this lines:

[INFO] Using device "Cowon S9"
[INFO] Searching for TCC device...
[INFO] Found TCC device, uploading application.
[INFO] Patching application uploaded successfully!

8. After that your bricked C2 will turn it ON and be recognized as a drive in Windows.
9. Now, copy all 3 files from .zip C2 firmware to root C2 directory (just like to update the firmware process)
10. All 3 files into the C2, disconnect the USB Cabe, connect again and do step 7, but this time on the end of the process, remove safelly the C2, turn it on and DONE!!! =)

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 9
I brought mine to the shop where I bought it and they gave me a new one! :)
I used it exclusively with Windows and it's fine now. Files transferred to the microSD card through OS X function well.

Guess you're not as lucky as I am, evolutionx :frowning2:

-EDIT-
just received a reply from Cowon America to the email I sent them regarding the issue I had
Here is the reply: 

Maybe that'll help, evolution?

Hi Guhmo, thanks for your info. Problem for me is that my PC do not recognized the cowon c2 as a external drive so there is no way for me to re format. I will try the more complicated method suggested from the latest post. Cheers.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 9
If there's one thing that I've learned from reading the many threads, is that cowon and macs do not play well together sadly :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 9
It's not just macs..... after the above debacle solved my (recurring) issue a couple of times, it ended up completely bricked and unrecognisable by a PC, even after tcctool.
I went to the Cowon (iRiver) service centre and they fixed it.  

This kept happening over the course of a couple of months.  Two weeks ago I went and demanded they give me a new one (I'd been there over five times in five months).  The company policy only allowed them to replace all the components, and that's what they did (effectively giving me a new one).  Today, it's bricked again.  I'm not even using it with a mac.  I place all my music through the MicroSD card anyways.

I've had enough, I didn't buy a Cowon to visit their service centre every month.  Buying a Classic soon.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 9
Last week I bricked my J3 (v2.29) after transferring few files from Mac. Using TCCTool, I was able to transfer firmware to the device but it didn't fix J3.

Based on comment in some other forum, I downloaded J3 firmware v2.28 (cowonglobal website doesn't has it, so downloaded from https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Cowon/COWON-J3-Firmware-228.shtml#download), transferred to J3 using TCCTool. As soon as the transfer completed, J3 booted successfully.

TCCTool + v2.28 saved my J3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back