Cowon BBE, BBE+ good sound quality. Is it a Myth?
Aug 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #31 of 88
Just by curiosity, I  tested the srh940 on both  the sansa clip+ (default firmware) and the cowon s9, and I  preferred the cowon (with flat eq, got especially a better soundstage, and it seemed cleaner to me. Well it was a first impression).

The bbe effects add coloration, but it's intended. If you have for instance bright headphones , you can compensate with a warmer sound.
The bbe effects in combination  with eq, can make cheap headphones more interesting, than they are.
But with my senn IE7, the mach3bass effect is fantastic.
I  can get an incredible slam, impact, energy, on the bass, and listening  to techno for instance is much more pleasing.
On other headphones the bbe effects might not help, or harm the sound. You have to experiment.
I  do not advise to use the built in presets of the cowon, it's much more rewarding if you take your time to tweak,  according to your tastes and the headphone.

@miceblue

Quote:
I heard a few 'remastered' songs from The Beatles...they didn't sound that fantastic.

I'm not a fan of the beatles, but I  loved the "love" album.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #32 of 88
wow!  the bbe viva along with my denon ahd5000 is amazing.  too bad we can't know what setting exactly cowon use in those presets, like what sound effects they use and in what level.  i would also like to know if in the "bbe viva","bbe headphones" "maestro"  etc.  they use only the bbe sound effects or together with the normal EQ.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #33 of 88
@ extrabigmehdi - miceblue means that he has heard remastered The Beatles songs where the songs have been compressed and lost so much dynamic range that they do not sound as good as older and less loud versions.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #34 of 88

Your posts are attracting me to buy Cowon player as well. But I'm not sure to get rid of clip+ as this is more than sufficient for my taste. I tested with Sennheiser HD202 and Brainwavz M2 and with both headphones they sound great. Its warmer, smoother, detailed and what not....only thing which is worrying me is battery life and storage capacity. but who can in this world get everything......

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #35 of 88

Quote:

Your posts are attracting me to buy Cowon player as well. But I'm not sure to get rid of clip+ as this is more than sufficient for my taste.

I'd say it some about having more control on how you want the sound. But it seems you don't even take advantage of the built eq of your sansa clip+ . About the impressive bass I  got with bbe , it was  with music of this kind :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbKPyp2ZL5U
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvO9JqJEO0

It's very far from the examples you provided on first post, where bass impact doesn't matter much.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #36 of 88

Quote:
Just by curiosity, I  tested the srh940 on both  the sansa clip+ (default firmware) and the cowon s9, and I  preferred the cowon (with flat eq, got especially a better soundstage, and it seemed cleaner to me. Well it was a first impression).

The bbe effects add coloration, but it's intended. If you have for instance bright headphones , you can compensate with a warmer sound.
I  do not advise to use the built in presets of the cowon, it's much more rewarding if you take your time to tweak,  according to your tastes and the headphone.

Have you tried tweaking the lows of the S9 for the SRH940's to improve their 'weak' bass? If you have, how do the electronica tracks in your last post sound (in terms of bass impact)?

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #37 of 88
The flat EQ really depends. I read somewhere (i think it was on ABI) that most of the CD are mastered knowing that people will use EQ. Also some of the sound engineer do not have tthe right skills. So unless the artist controls everything from the recording to the final record, you'll never really hear what the artist wanted to produce so using EQ isn't against "audiophiles" as they claimed.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #38 of 88
the term "audiophile"  doesn't mean that one should not tweak the sound in any way.  an audiophile is a lover of a good sound,it is someone that the sound is very important to him.     and hear me out,I learned sound and mixing and mastering in a professionlal studio,and i can tell you one thing: 
YOU CAN NOT..NEVER, change the original basic sound of the recording,what artist meant  from tweaking,and it doens't matter if you are tweaking a lot or just a little.      of you will ever try to change the whole sound completely you will not succeed and it will sound horoble!    
you can only put  little more bass,treble,mids to the general picture,but the original basic sound will stay.    I can't turn oasis to metallica :)

ok..and now that we done with that issue,i want to say that i am enjoying the heck of my cowon j3 and i am probably going to get me also an x7.  i simply got to have this monster!  even though i don't really need it.     but it was a dream for ever for me (and all audiophiles)  to have a high capacity player that could take all our flac files and have an amazing sound and options and a massive battery life.  i don't understand why people are so dissapointed from the x7,it is a dream that came true!     I will certainly get me one of these.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #39 of 88

Quote:
Have you tried tweaking the lows of the S9 for the SRH940's to improve their 'weak' bass? If you have, how do the electronica tracks in your last post sound (in terms of bass impact)?

The srh940, have a little bass impact , but it's lacking on quantity, it's shy, and can easily drown by the mids & highs depending of the song. Playing with the eq, bbe helps to get a more balanced sound, and musically more satisfying. However , if you are looking for a visceral bass , with lot of energy, it's just can't compete with  the senn ie7. In short ,you can manage to have a decent bass , but you won't get an "adrelanine rush" from listening techno. If you are looking for "excitement" in the bass area, I would look at something  else.
I  made a more detailed review here

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #41 of 88
@oyster - I am listening now CowonX7 using M50 cans and it is full stereo,really!Sound may come from middle of you head when you listen to mono source,sometime it happens.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #42 of 88
I had the D2+ and my Clip + beats it thoroughly in SQ. I could never get the D2+ to live up to my expectations and found all the "sound enhancements" overrated. A Sansa Fuze or Clip on flat eq is pretty hard to beat.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #44 of 88

Its been 2 months with my Sansa Clip+ and Branwavz M2. I can vouch that this combo is certainly one of the best

You need to listen to believe. Whatever music I threw this combo treats them with utmost respect. And Brainwavz M2 is able to forgive low quality recordings as well.

Even 4 hours of continuous no fatigue. Enjoying the music thoroughly....

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 88

Quote:

You need to listen to believe. Whatever music I threw this combo treats them with utmost respect.

I don't know my sennheiser IE7 works with every kind of music too (from clasical, to drum & bass) . They have already great bass, but the mach3bass effect help to push it to breathtaking levels. Any headphone can be eq-ed on the cowon to match better the taste, but it's not only eq you have control of soundstage for each frequency. On the sansa clip+, I  can't resist to expand a bit the stereo, there's this option too, when rockboxing (I  don't know for regular firmware).

Quote:
And Brainwavz M2 is able to forgive low quality recordings as well.

I  wish my IE7 would be a bit LESS  forgiving, with a better clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back