Cowon A5... anyone got one yet ?
Jul 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 23
cowon sells only the "dirt" to international customers [asia,europe,US] except in korea where they sell their best to koreans
they take it that outside Korea everyone is fool enough to buy their 'CRAP' and yes - we are !
i got fooled twice - d2+,Q5W then i started hating cowon after knowing the secret above.
i am not a ainol seller or ainol worker - i have only suggested ainol as an option , i have NOT bought it yet after all they are chinese so i doubt their Quality despite the best looking specs
win 8 and win RT is coming soon and then there will be miniature PCs [UMPCs] in the next 12-18 months on the same lines as viliv s5/n5/x70ex so revolution will be there soon - so i prefer to wait and watch !
the tide of win8/RT will decimate android for GOOD - btw i hate android and all it's flavours.-  android is immature both name-wise[gingerbread,froyo,icecream sandwitch,jelly-bean]  and features it boasts of !
it can never compete with FULL-ON windows UMPCs ever!
being a windows diehard - i only want the ACER ICONIA tab w500 in 7-inch form factor - whether with win 7/8 - that's it !
once you go windows way - there's no going back !

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #17 of 23
I think the Android devices from Cowon are just not mature enough to meet customers' needs. The non Android based S9/J3 got good reputations here. I got the S9 before and it's an awesome player, just the UI a little bit slow

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 23
I think the Android devices from Cowon are just not mature enough to meet customers' needs. The non Android based S9/J3 got good reputations here. I got the S9 before and it's an awesome player, just the UI a little bit slow

This I agree with. Cowon is just stubborn, and think they know best. Their non-android devices are all fantastic, including the D2/+, S9, & J3. When it comes to android they just think they know better and can get it to run 100% on the wrong hardware. Big no-no,...

Otherwise, they're way better than the dime-a-dozen crap players that come out of china. Don't get me wrong, there's good stuff that does come from china- but 99% of the pmp's that come out are crap bootleg knockoffs. I wish it was original stuff I could jump on,...the pmp/dap market is D.O.A. at the moment - we need some spice. :D

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
This I agree with. Cowon is just stubborn, and think they know best. Their non-android devices are all fantastic, including the D2/+, S9, & J3. When it comes to android they just think they know better and can get it to run 100% on the wrong hardware. Big no-no,...
Otherwise, they're way better than the dime-a-dozen crap players that come out of china. Don't get me wrong, there's good stuff that does come from china- but 99% of the pmp's that come out are crap bootleg knockoffs. I wish it was original stuff I could jump on,...the pmp/dap market is D.O.A. at the moment - we need some spice.
biggrin.gif

Yes please! It really is far too flawed at present (e.g. why the hell would sony release a 'droid pmp without micro sd? Same goes for Meizu with their interesting smartphones/pmps). I'm actually all for Android pmps since Android has some amazing spoken word/audiobook apps. Plus it's more versatile for music apps (e.g. option to use rockbox as an app alongside other apps). Lastly, android offers a viable way to output digital audio and use your portable as an energy efficient desktop replacement source when hooked up to your desktop DAC, Amp etc.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #20 of 23
People! If anyone of you buy an A5, let me know whether the UI works in portrait screen orientation. All over YouTube and Cowon's promotional pictures I have only seen the A5 being used in landscape orientation. If it is fully landscape only it could be a major dealbreaker.

I really love the fact that it has a 64GB internal storage option, such that I can throw in another 64GB card and potentially get 128GB of total storage for my large collection of FLACs. Also do let me know if you guys have successfully got a SDXC (above 32GB) card to work with either the Z2 or A5. Thanks!! :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #22 of 23
I need to replace my V5 as I destroyed the screen in a clumsy momemt. I know the screen quality & resolution weren't great, but the V5 did the job for me. I used it to watch videos. I'd like something that can play many video formats and a screen size/resolution at least as good as the V5. The A5 seems to fit the bill, but I was wondering if I should look at tablets like the Ainol models (ie Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+, Nexus 7, HTC Evo, etc) even though storage sizes are small.  Any suggestions or am I overlooking something? Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
I need to replace my V5 as I destroyed the screen in a clumsy momemt. I know the screen quality & resolution weren't great, but the V5 did the job for me. I used it to watch videos. I'd like something that can play many video formats and a screen size/resolution at least as good as the V5. The A5 seems to fit the bill, but I was wondering if I should look at tablets like the Ainol models (ie Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+, Nexus 7, HTC Evo, etc) even though storage sizes are small.  Any suggestions or am I overlooking something? Thanks in advance.

Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus or even the newer Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 have a microsd slot in addition to the internal storage. The 7.0 Plus is a very nice video player, and with the MX Player video app, will play just about any video format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back