Covers of Classics
Nov 15, 2006 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
What does everyone think of covering immortal bands, such as the Beatles? I'm usually against it, given that an ostensibly "lesser" band is trying to cover the Beatles, nearly always resulting in a catastrophe. However, I got Butchering the Beatles: A Headbanging Tribute a couple of days ago, and I have to say, it is incredible. I never thought that I could like compilation album that does exclusively covers....I mean, they have Hey Jude, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Taxman, Tomorrow Never Knows...all of these are classics, and near perfect songs. It took balls to cover them, and they came out well.

What are people's reactions on this sort of project? Should bands such as the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, etc, be essentially "retired", much like a jersey, so that no one can cover them? I used to think so, but now I'm not so sure
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 15
As someone who loves folk music, I'm all for the idea of cover versions -- this is the only way to keep the music alive. Just like an antique violin or guitar that must be constantly played on to stay in the best condition, a song should be continually sung (and recorded) to ensure that its relevance stays fresh.

This said, pleeeeease don't put a rap chorus or female moans in cover versions. This is sick.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 15
There was a synth-punk band called The Better Beatles that existed sometime in the 80s that released one LP with two Beatles covers on it ("I'm Down" and "Penny Lane") and I think it's supposedly pretty good. Unfortunately, I've never heard it personally.

My favorite cover is definitely Devo's version of "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction." Galaxie 500's version of Joy Division's "Ceremony" is amazing, and I definitely consider that song a classic despite it having never been officially released.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 15
I don't like straight covers but I really likes bands that do a cover version in their own way and sometimes make it better even. I have two cover albums, one of Dead Can Dance and another of John Lennon, both are quite good. They are called tribute albums for a reason and are not just straight covers by people who can't create their own music. BTW, Siouxie and the Banshees did a great cover of Dear Prudence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Prudence

Siouxsie & the Banshees version

English rock band Siouxsie & the Banshees released "Dear Prudence" in 1983 as the first single from their sixth studio album Hyæna. It was produced by the Banshees and was given a gothic rock twist by the band, while still retaining the song's pop feel.

Siouxsie & the Banshees have repeatedly namechecked the Beatles as musical influences, and the band had previously recorded a cover version of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter".

"Dear Prudence" became Siouxsie & the Banshees' biggest hit, peaking at number three in the UK singles chart.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 15
The Residents' cover of "Jailhouse Rock" is a personal favorite. I love creative reinterpretation of classics. They take nothing away from the original and give you an opportunity to hear it differently.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 15
I've just bought 'Live at Leeds' on the strength of Pearl Jam's Who covers (and the fact that Eddie cites them as his major influence)

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 15
There are very few covers that I like.

One of my favourites has to be the Headstones' cover of Tweeter and the Monkey Man. It's such an insipid, plodding, dull song when the Traveling Wilburys did it, but it rocks pretty hard when the Headstones do it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus
I don't like straight covers but I really likes bands that do a cover version in their own way and sometimes make it better even. I have two cover albums, one of Dead Can Dance and another of John Lennon, both are quite good. They are called tribute albums for a reason and are not just straight covers by people who can't create their own music. BTW, Siouxie and the Banshees did a great cover of Dear Prudence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Prudence

Siouxsie & the Banshees version

English rock band Siouxsie & the Banshees released "Dear Prudence" in 1983 as the first single from their sixth studio album Hyæna. It was produced by the Banshees and was given a gothic rock twist by the band, while still retaining the song's pop feel.

Siouxsie & the Banshees have repeatedly namechecked the Beatles as musical influences, and the band had previously recorded a cover version of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter".

"Dear Prudence" became Siouxsie & the Banshees' biggest hit, peaking at number three in the UK singles chart.

I'm in agreement with this. I like cover versions where the artist attempts to do something new with the song. I think the best one that I like is Scissor Sisters cover of Comfortably Numb - turning a classic rock song into a up-tempo dance track and it works rather well I think.

Also there's been some compilations (usually for charity) that do a similar thing. There's one called "Fire & Skill - The Songs of The Jam" with lots of different bands/artists from different genres doing a cover version of a Jam track and sounds really good.

The other (and really wonderful musically) is called 1Love and is for the Warchild charity. Lots of different bands doing a cover version of a song that was at number 1 in the UK charts at some time. Muses version of House Of The Rising Sun is pretty good but the strangest that I find on there is either Prodigys version of Ghost Town or Jimmy Eat World doing a cover of Firestarter (an acoustic, slow version of the song anyone??)

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
I'm in agreement with this. I like cover versions where the artist attempts to do something new with the song. I think the best one that I like is Scissor Sisters cover of Comfortably Numb - turning a classic rock song into a up-tempo dance track and it works rather well I think.

If you liked that, I took the time to listen over the summer to Pink Floyd Redux, which is basically a bizarre covering of their songs done by female vocalists, and instead of instruments, the tracking is mostly electronica and stuff. The idea behind it is to make Pink Floyd danceable or something....

This is what I don't understand. Who would want to make Pink Floyd danceable? Why must we reduce everything to the lowest common denominator?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidmoose171
Cant go wrong with Aerosmith covering "Come Together". Or for that matter Zack Wylde covered it as well.

Yeah, that was a good cover, one which I enjoyed. It totally slipped my mind earlier.

As far as cover bands go, I don't have a problem with those either. They are unapologetic about their intentions. More often than not, they emulate bands which no longer exist for an audience that saw them and misses them, or never saw them but still loves their music. What gets to me is when established artists or artists trying to get established try to gimmick their way through a classic in order to garner some attention

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 15
Badlands - A Tribute to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska is an absolutely phenomenal cover album. Ani Difranco, son Volt, Johnny Cash, Ben Harper, Aimme Mann and more are on board. I absolutely love the original Nebraska, but as a whole the cover album might be better.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub
If you liked that, I took the time to listen over the summer to Pink Floyd Redux, which is basically a bizarre covering of their songs done by female vocalists, and instead of instruments, the tracking is mostly electronica and stuff. The idea behind it is to make Pink Floyd danceable or something....

This is what I don't understand. Who would want to make Pink Floyd danceable? Why must we reduce everything to the lowest common denominator?

Actually I was sceptical when I first saw what they were doing - I'm not really into dance music on the whole but it actually works quite well and is still a good song even after the re-interpretation.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidmoose171
Cant go wrong with Aerosmith covering "Come Together".

AMEN BROTHA!

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
There are very few covers that I like.

One of my favourites has to be the Headstones' cover of Tweeter and the Monkey Man. It's such an insipid, plodding, dull song when the Traveling Wilburys did it, but it rocks pretty hard when the Headstones do it.
biggrin.gif

Werd!

Big Sugar's cover of "Let it Ride" is Awesome. Always been a favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back