Cover song better than original? Examples please.
Jun 24, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #31 of 134
Idk if it has been mentioned but just about everything Walk the Earth does is better than the original. Same for the Pentatonix. I'm a big fan of Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd) by Shinedown, but I can't really say it's better.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #32 of 134

I slightly hesitate to call it better, but I find Youn Sun Nah and Ulf Wakenius's duet version of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" musically more interesting than the original, despite how much of a classic it is. The chemistry between the two is phenomenal and Nah manages to make this song about a child having nightmares genuinely creepy and disturbing with her spellbinding interpretation, which succeeds in lulling the listener into a false sense of security before totally blowing them away with Nah's performance and incredible display of voice control and then taking an unexpected turn and ending the song on a very unsettling note.

agree'd that was really very good :D

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #33 of 134
This is the better sounding album version;

Quote:
  Here are 2 examples of a well known song where I prefer another version than the original.

I'm On Fire; Carmen Gomes from the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album,http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/92-carmen-gomes-inc-sss1-flac.

This overwhelmingly well recorded album starts of with a mesmerizing version of the Springsteen classic, I really like the singers low key interpretation of the song, puts the lyrics into perspective.

The you tube version is not exactly the same as the download, download sounds better and the drum groove is a bit different, smoother, but it still gives a good impression.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #35 of 134
as much as I DO NOT LIKE HARD Rock, Five Finger Death's Punch Remake of Bad Company is pretty bad! ;3

Love that song. They do a decent cover of House of the Rising Sun as well.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #42 of 134
I'd have to say IMHO Hendrix doing his interpretation of All Along The Watchtower is better than Dylan's creation. I certainly enjoy Dylan but it doesn't come anywhere near how full Jimi plays it.

Yes, I agree. The drama of Hendrix interpretation better matches that of Dylan's great poem. Even Dylan agreed. This is a quote of Dylan from his Biograph album liner notes:
"I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #43 of 134
I much prefer Nirvana's cover of "Man Who Sold the World" to the original by David Bowie

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #44 of 134
Here's mine: Still Loving You originally by the Scorpions, then covered in power metal style by Sonata Arctica. The original of course is a rock ballad, and in fact over here it's a staple for strip joints (regardless of whether it's a girl or a guy stripping), to the point that when we hear it elsewhere we hum/sing along then go, "wait for it, this is where she throws it all off...whooooaaa!!!" (I'm not kidding, I played this song at a car audio meet, and people started laughing and having that same reaction)

The original Scorpions version, a live performance with a symphony

The cover by Sonata Arctica

-------------------

Another one is Turn the Page. Originally by Bob Seger, Metallica made a heavy cover of it, but of course that was around the time that many fans already questioned why they were still called Metallica. I didn't care, really - good music is good music, which is why even a couple of tracks from the much-hated Reload (there's another severely underrated track there, Track 9 I think) can get older fans signing along at concerts.

Bob Seger

Metallica

Users who are viewing this thread

Back