Cover song better than original? Examples please.
Jun 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 134
Very interesting thread !
I am not sure why but some new versions do not work for me :
E.g.
- I'm on fire (Carmen Gomez / Bruce Springsteen)
- Come together (Reeves&Wilson / Beatles)
- Wicked Game (Carmen Gomez / Chris Isaak)

In these cases I kind of "grew up" on the originals, there are certain memories attached and the sound of tape from a car radio.
For me, these songs need a certain dose of grittyness.
The new ones are just too perfect especially the audiophile quality recordings of Carmen Gomez voice
wink.gif

And I positively have heard more impressive interpretations of "Fever" than both Carmen G. and Peggy Lee.
I will post these when I find them - unfortuantely old fashioned CDs are not so easy searchable as i-tunes
biggrin.gif

And LOL ROFL a perfect example of the the cover being better is Rod Stewart's "First cut", the original is a complete sucker against that one.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #21 of 134
Originally Posted by Kheadfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

from Rad Bennett's review in SoundStage!
 There are some standards on the set that knocked me over with their fresh approach. Any singer can misplace a few accents and rhythms and come up with something that's original, but perhaps also uneasy and a little strange. Not Gomes, who has taken the songs to their bones and then restructured them to suit her style. Thus "Fever" doesn't sound like a cover of Peggy Lee; it sounds like a brand new take on a familiar song. You emerge from hearing it not thinking it's better or lesser than Lee's version, but that it's a valid new interpretation that could have come first.

Fever

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #24 of 134
I wont dare say it's better, but (R.i.p) to both of these masters

Nujabes or Jun Seba, and Yusef Lateef, 

Alot of the jazz influence in Nujabes Tracks sound very much like Yusef Lateefs Eastern Sounds Album, and what blows my mind is it's equally as magical as Nujabes Remixes of those tunes! Really both men are masters of there genre, Yusef of the tradtional or classical styles of Jazz, and Jun for his modern adaptaption of the classics, while still being beautiful pieces of music in their own right! 

This Video Starts with a Nujabes Tune, then plays the original 

Here's is the Full Track from Jun, I never realized how many samples Jun used from well Yusef's work, either way it's super awesome! I was SUPER stocked to hear the orignals, after being a Nujabes fan for so long now :D and I love both songs and style equally ^^ 

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 134
"I Fought The Law" by the Bobby Fuller Four and then better by the Clash. Sure, The Bobby Fuller Four are still cool:

But The Clash were ready to unleash the beast:

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #26 of 134
In this case I have to say that Astor Piazzolla was a genius musician and I do not claim that this new version of his landmark love song is ''better'' but Andre Heuvelman's version never fails to give me goosebumps and the sound of this album which seems to have been mixed and mastered with the Sennheiser HD800 headphones is sublime. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #28 of 134
Well to each his own, but I really do not like this version. Carmen Gomes makes the song real and this... well I guess I am just getting old and sentimental, but anyway thanks for posting,It shook me up. I did not know it was possible to apply such an amount of compression to a song.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #29 of 134
I slightly hesitate to call it better, but I find Youn Sun Nah and Ulf Wakenius's duet version of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" musically more interesting than the original, despite how much of a classic it is. The chemistry between the two is phenomenal and Nah manages to make this song about a child having nightmares genuinely creepy and disturbing with her spellbinding interpretation, which succeeds in lulling the listener into a false sense of security before totally blowing them away with Nah's performance and incredible display of voice control and then taking an unexpected turn and ending the song on a very unsettling note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back