Couple of E500 Questions...
Aug 9, 2006 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

javahut

500+ Head-Fier
I know there's a few responses for this, but I wouldn't mind hearing a few more on those who owned E5Cs and compared E500s. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading... but is it really worth it? I love the sound of my E5Cs. I love the big bass, and I guess I've gotten so used to them, the rest of the range in them just sounds so "natural" to me. But I wouldn't mind hearing some additional mid range and high end detail, as long as it's not heavily emphasized (ala Etymotic).

Also... what controls exactly are on the push to hear hardware? Is the push to hear button a "temporary on" button that only works while you hold it down? Or can you switch it on permanently so that one would be able to hear ringing phones and people walking into the office talking, etc., but also be able to adjust & hear the music virtually unhindered... while also hearing stuff going on around you. I'd like to listen to my E5Cs in the office, and the PTH seems like a good idea, but I really need to be able to hear what's going on around me at the same time as listening to the phones... not just when I visually notice that someone is trying to talk to me or visually notice something is going on I need to pay attention to.

Thanks for your replies.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by javahut
I know there's a few responses for this, but I wouldn't mind hearing a few more on those who owned E5Cs and compared E500s. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading... but is it really worth it? I love the sound of my E5Cs. I love the big bass, and I guess I've gotten so used to them, the rest of the range in them just sounds so "natural" to me. But I wouldn't mind hearing some additional mid range and high end detail, as long as it's not heavily emphasized (ala Etymotic).

Also... what controls exactly are on the push to hear hardware? Is the push to hear button a "temporary on" button that only works while you hold it down? Or can you switch it on permanently so that one would be able to hear ringing phones and people walking into the office talking, etc., but also be able to adjust & hear the music virtually unhindered... while also hearing stuff going on around you. I'd like to listen to my E5Cs in the office, and the PTH seems like a good idea, but I really need to be able to hear what's going on around me at the same time as listening to the phones... not just when I visually notice that someone is trying to talk to me or visually notice something is going on I need to pay attention to.

Thanks for your replies.

If you've read the reviews...and I gather you have..there's really only one way to tell if the upgrade is worth it; you gotta buy 'em and try 'em.

The PTH has one 2 position switch. You flip it to the on position and it mutes the audio, activating the microphone. In the off position, the PTH does nothing at all. Therefore, it really doesn't do what you are looking for. When I wear the E500's in the office with the PTH, people sneak up on me all the time. Once I see them, I can flip the PTH and all is well. However, if I don't flip the switch, I'm left in audio paradise, oblivious to everything outside of my field of vision.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 18
I thought I read in one of the posts that there's a volume adjustment on it somewhere that adjusts the level of the music when the button is pushed. Is this not the case? If it is, is it possible to adjust the volume of the music when the button is pushed so that it pretty much matches the level & sound when it's not pushed, but would just allow you to hear outside sounds, too?

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 18
The volume dial on the PTH module adjusts the sensitivity of the mic. You turn up the dial to "hear" more with the mic, and turn it down if the mic's too loud. Once you activate the PTH switch, it mutes whatever source you have playing. You can't adjust your source's volume with the PTH module.

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 18
javahut,

I just posted a review on a separate thread. I have been using E5's for several years now for live music monitoring. Just got my E500's yesterday and am blown away at the improvement in sound, especially the bass. I play bass in my band so this is VERY important to me. I have loved my E5's but these are much much better.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 18
Btw, is the split area on the E500 earpieces vry bad? I saw the post production pictures and the area where the two pieces join together to form the unit seems vry poorely done...Hope you get what I'am talking bout...

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
Btw, is the split area on the E500 earpieces vry bad? I saw the post production pictures and the area where the two pieces join together to form the unit seems vry poorely done...Hope you get what I'am talking bout...

The workmanship/design is very elegant, IMHO. I see no problem with how the earpieces are put together.

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 18
I'll be getting my own impressions soon! I ordered the E500 today... should be here tommorow!
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 18
I've been using the E5C's for a while now and the E500's exude a totally different flavor. Personally, I think the E500's are superior in many ways (especially since they are the same MSRP price).

The first time I used them, I was running them unamped out out a H120 Iriver and someone started to talk to me (damn mortals) and I paused the Iriver.
When I "unpaused" the Irver the volume ramped up slowly back to the original gain. I said to myself "Damn, how do they do that...can it be in the crossover?" It took until the third time before I realized that I accidently changed the properties of the H120 which can be set to do that.

Years of critical listening and I psyched myself out
biggrin.gif
Please...don't tell anybody.
plainface.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I've been using the E5C's for a while now and the E500's exude a totally different flavor. Personally, I think the E500's are superior in many ways (especially since they are the same MSRP price).

Totally different flavor in what way? And why do you think E500 is superior to E5 in many ways?

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 18
I had used the E5Cs for about a year and a half and recently upgraded to the E500s which I've now had for about a week and a half. I find the E500s have a very similar sound signature to the E5Cs, but the E500s are just better right across the board. The bass is tighter and feels like it has more range. The E5Cs were occasionally accused of having "one note bass" and there was some music for which I feel it was true but it is definitely not the case with the E500s.The E500 mids and treble are much more detailed, I am hearing things in the music I did not hear with the E5Cs. The soundstage also feels substantially increased. For me I can pick any aspect of the sound and I feel the E500s do it better than the E5Cs. Personally I cannot imagine a E5C owner being disappointed after this upgrade.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by javahut
Totally different flavor in what way? And why do you think E500 is superior to E5 in many ways?

The E500's have this "true" sound to them. The bass is deeper. The highs are realistic and go a step further and there's this "smooth" sensation that you get when listening to them. I feel they are more neutral and the reproduction is a closer representation of what the source is providing. I compared them to my E4c's, and my ER4p's and (probably because of the separate components...3 drivers) nothing is stepping on anything else. More identity to each of the spectrums. I feel they are the better IEM's out of all that I've heard (heard most) except for the UE-10's. The UE-10's are untouchable, but it is an unfair comparison because my UE's have custom earmolds and cost almost twice as much. Also the E500's are more comfortable than the E5C's because of the way that the E5C's are shaped...they are a little "unfriendly" but not to the point of being a show stopper. You have to find just the right spot for the E5C's to sit in you outer ear properly. The E500's just hang out like the ER4P's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back