Counterfeit ATH-ESW9A? Also, can I get a price check?
Jun 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

WisePitfighter

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a small lot of ATH-ESW9A's, and the seller reports to me that they are made from Hokkaido cherry, and that there is a french word on the side of the cans (which is odd to me.) Is it possible that they are somehow counterfeit? I doubt it, but I'm concerned anyway.

Also, how much do you think I'd be able to sell two unopened pairs for?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 21
With all the scams, you need to buy from an authorized dealer, even if it costs you a bit more. If you're buying these, especially on ebay, please don't try and sell them here. I'll be watching for your name in the fs forums.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all the scams, you need to buy from an authorized dealer, even if it costs you a bit more. If you're buying these, especially on ebay, please don't try and sell them here. I'll be watching for your name in the fs forums.

So are you saying that AudioTechnica counterfeits are common? Because I was under the impression that it was the other way around. Relax before you try and "blacklist" me or something, yikes.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 21
the esw9 should not have french on the side of the cans. provide some pics?

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by WisePitfighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you saying that AudioTechnica counterfeits are common? Because I was under the impression that it was the other way around. Relax before you try and "blacklist" me or something, yikes.

I don't know if AudioTechnica counterfeits for all models are popular but for ESW9'S they are very popular indeed. Just do a google search on shopping for esw9's and you will see so many different prices. i did yesterday and found for low as $48, which obviously are counterfeits. The biggest problem is while some you can tell from their pictures, other sites use genuine pictures but are obviously fake when you see their prices. As boomana recommends, you should really get them from an authorized dealer to be sure. I remember couple of weeks ago I read someone here bought a fake and said that they looked exactly like the original but the sound is obviously not there. He was quite amazed at how good they were at imitating the real thing...

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if AudioTechnica counterfeits for all models are popular but for ESW9'S they are very popular indeed. Just do a google search on shopping for esw9's and you will see so many different prices. i did yesterday and found for low as $48, which obviously are counterfeits. The biggest problem is while some you can tell from their pictures, other sites use genuine pictures but are obviously fake when you see their prices. As boomana recommends, you should really get them from an authorized dealer to be sure. I remember couple of weeks ago I read someone here bought a fake and said that they looked exactly like the original but the sound is obviously not there. He was quite amazed at how good they were at imitating the real thing...

Well, they claim to be authorized, but I've gotten fake items from people claiming that too. I already shot AudioTechnica an e-mail with the retailer's info.
It's the french thing that's throwing me off, and I'm going to just assume that they are counterfeits now, too sketchy.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 21
The only thing that I recall remotely 'latin'-based sounding was Raffinato which is on the W5000. Maybe someone made a fake version of the ESW but copied the lettering from the W5K? Would make it a really lousy copy then. Only thing I could think of; maybe you could ask him if this is what it says?

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Well, they claim to be authorized, but I've gotten fake items from people claiming that too.

I can understand your frustration.. I guess if there isn't much price difference maybe you can get it from amazon or some established online store's like Audiocubes, yesasia, pricejapan etc. unfortunately you will be paying a premium for peace of mind..(on amazon price was $239 which is pretty good..)

good luck!

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

I'm looking to buy a small lot of ATH-ESW9A's, and the seller reports to me that they are made from Hokkaido cherry, and that there is a french word on the side of the cans (which is odd to me.) Is it possible that they are somehow counterfeit? I doubt it, but I'm concerned anyway.

Also, how much do you think I'd be able to sell two unopened pairs for?

Thanks

It sounds like you are wanting to buy them and then sell them for a profit, which is not the purpose of the forums here.

And from what I've seen, people who sell the ESW9 in batches/lots for unreal prices are almost always peddling fakes.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 21
It sounds like you are thinking of onselling ESW9s to make a quick buck. The question then has to be, why is the original seller offering you such a great opportunity? If you can buy and sell them for a profit, and presumably the seller to you is making some money, then how did he/she get such a great deal from ATH in the first place? The answer is right in front of you, if they are too cheap, then they are cheap (fake). If they are not stupidly cheap, then why are you contemplating buying a "batch".

Welcome to Head fi and be careful with your wallet. I'm sure you are a wiser pitfighter than headphone merchant.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 21
es7's and esw9's are models that have lots of counterfeit copies around.
you can go on some chinese websites and get a Lot of 50 fake esw9's at <$20 per headphone.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like you are thinking of onselling ESW9s to make a quick buck. The question then has to be, why is the original seller offering you such a great opportunity? If you can buy and sell them for a profit, and presumably the seller to you is making some money, then how did he/she get such a great deal from ATH in the first place? The answer is right in front of you, if they are too cheap, then they are cheap (fake). If they are not stupidly cheap, then why are you contemplating buying a "batch".

Welcome to Head fi and be careful with your wallet. I'm sure you are a wiser pitfighter than headphone merchant.

I'm not an idiot, I understand how commerce works. The reason I'd be getting 3 is because the guy in my neighborhood is moving, and selling off a ton of stuff he doesn't want. I wanted a pair, but I don't want three, so I'd be selling the other 2, that doesn't mean I'd be making huge profits. Seriously though, I have an eBay feeddback of 6000+, I'm just not an expert on headphone counterfeiting or values.

Also note that I found out that it's just this one guy, and he's clearly not an authorized reseller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistachio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
French on the box. Le Luxe. Should also be african paddock wood.

That would be it. Thanks. I'm still not going to buy though, since there are so many counterfeits.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 21
How much is he selling it for?
And since he's in your neighborhood, you should ask to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back