Count me among MX500 many fans
Jan 11, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 48
i've bought the MX-400's one time and auditioned it for two days. they were very uncomfortable and the sound quality was not what i expected. i even tried burning them in, but no improvement. i wanted to try them because of the stuff i've read, and i think the Senn earbuds are fairly overrated. they weren't even worth the low asking price, and J and R has a 14 day return policy, so back they went!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by ssblood
Ouch, maybe I should just leave them (er6) in the box untill I sell them to get the ER-4Ps.

you're missing out on something good (although i hear the 4p is very good too).

with all respect for mtillman, i've had my er6 for months, and they are properly burned in, with a good amp and source, and foam tips (not to mention 2nd filter and earhugger mods). i now rank them right up there with the grado sr125 and sony cd1700. my eggos have been collecting dust since the er6 "second coming".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by daredevii
They didn't fit well and therefore sounded weak. Then I tried inserting them straight into the ear with the wire pointing straight out.

lol, as bizarre as this seemed, I tried it and it actually did improve the sound. Improved bass definition, and provided a somewhat three dimentional layered sound. Using an amp improves the effect further.

Jan 12, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
i've bought the MX-400's one time and auditioned it for two days. they were very uncomfortable and the sound quality was not what i expected. i even tried burning them in, but no improvement. i wanted to try them because of the stuff i've read, and i think the Senn earbuds are fairly overrated. they weren't even worth the low asking price, and J and R has a 14 day return policy, so back they went!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I felt the same way the first time I tried my mx-500, they really didn't sound much better to me than stock earbuds. However, after about a week I started to warm up to them, I don't know if I simply got used to them, or if they took a while to burn but suffice to say, they now often suprise me with just how good they can sound, they've become pretty indespensible to me; a great deal for the money.

Jan 14, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 48
I bought some of these today because of my continual search for the better earbud. I didn't really expect much of these things but even out of the box they surprised me. Much more bass than I expected. They sound very clear and full. They sound like much bigger headphones. I am using them right now connected to my RioVolt SP90 and can't believe I am listening to earbuds. The RS foam earpad covers also work great on these things. They are very comfortable, too. I am a big fan of earbuds, and I finally found the earbud I've been looking for. Inexpensive, great sound, and comfortable. Other than my RS-branded KTX-Pro's and my V6's these have got to be the best bargains I have picked up in headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 48
tillman, i have one word for you..... Seal.

any Etymotic will sound like crap until you get a good seal. It took me months to get the insertion right so i could get good sound from them. Once I got it right, the sound blew me away... literally, I fell out of my chair and my PCDP came down w/me.

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #23 of 48
Why people choose the mx500 instead of the similarly priced ksc50 remains a question to me.

Jan 14, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 48
kenchi1983, I just like earbuds more. I have the KSC-50 and although it sounds fine at home or in any quiet environment it just is too easily overwhelmed by outside noise to use outside. And other people can hear almost everything being played through them, too. They don't sound as good as the set of RadioShack-branded KTX-Pro's I have, either. The bass is heavier and murkier but otherwise the KSC-50's sound like they are being held away from my ears. The MX500's aren't as bass heavy, although they can put out the bass once I switch on the MegaBass if needed. They don't sound as distant as the KSC-50's and when there is a lot of noise around me I don't lose nearly as much of the sound and don't have to turn them up as much as the KSC-50's to hear them. The MX500's also don't leak sound much at all which helps on the bus since most people probably don't want to hear my music. Even my Sony MDR-E829V's, which sound rather muddy compared to the MX500's, beat the Koss's easily when used on the go in noiser places.

Jan 17, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 48
I just tried out these MX500s without the foamies and without them, they simply won't stay in my ear. I must have an oddly shaped ear. They sounded like absolute crap cuz they sat so far from my ear.

I just slipped the provided foamies over them and they stay in place much better. Now that they're in there, they sound much more musical... more bass, more midrange, more everything. They still don't sound as good as the KSC-35s, but are still are much better improvements over themselves.

Jan 17, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 48
well, My first post was about me finally trying the MX500s that were shipped to me. I hated them. I truly hated them. They had horrible sound (ultra-tinny). No bass, no midrange... It was worse than listening to an early-1900s AM radio. They were uncomfortable as hell too, they kept falling out of my ears. Finally, I realized that under the senns were a pair of foamies (not just padding for the little winder box). I slipped them over and the damned things actually stayed in place. I clean my ears very thoroughly, so don't blame it on earwax.

With the pads, they sounded much more like actual headphones than pieces of crap. The sound was much fuller than before. Since they actually stay in my ear now, I might be able to give these a recommendation. Outside of a short cord, these are rather good 13$ headphones.

Jan 17, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #30 of 48
With a thicker pair of foamies than the ones you get with purchase I think the MX500 sounds best out of all kinds of foam variations I've tried. Better bass, less harsh highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back