Count me among MX500 many fans
Jan 10, 2003 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

lazure

Head-Fier
Got my new Senn MX500 and they're GREAT! Burned them in for 12 hours, and these do have more bass than I can ever remember an earbud having. I also took a tip from this forum and bought the bigger RatShack pads...even better, sound and fit-wise.

I also tried putting the bigger pads over the stock pads, and that's just too much padding for me. I also tried their silicone ones, and those are non-starters in all respects.

I haven't had time to listen to a variety of music to be able to really review them, but I'm very pleased. Two sad side effects, though: 1) They probably won't last as long as I'd want since I'll end up using them at the gym because I won't want to go back to other buds; and 2) I'm not even sure I'll want to upgrade anymore, considering how much more expensive a truly better pair of buds/inner-ears might be (Shure E2C, Ety ER6, etc.)

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by lazure
2) I'm not even sure I'll want to upgrade anymore, considering how much more expensive a truly better pair of buds/inner-ears might be (Shure E2C, Ety ER6, etc.)

Give it another couple of weeks and that thought will fade
very_evil_smiley.gif

Glad you like the MX500, they are truly wonderful for the price.

Jan 10, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 48
When I first received my 500's I was disappointed. They didn't fit well and therefore sounded weak. Then I tried inserting them straight into the ear with the wire pointing straight out. Looks a little strange but wow, what a difference in sound. Even provides some isolation. I've posted this comment a couple times to see if anybody else does this or even if that's the way they're supposed to be used. Without using em this way, they are not very good.

Jan 10, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 48
Even though I have Etymotic ER4Ps, I still use my MX400s for four hours every day... and I also think that they're pretty great...

The ER4Ps when converted to be ER4S are a different, and better earphone... but, considering the cost difference... they should be!

The MX400/500s are great little earphones
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 48
Yep, I love my MX500s. The best earbuds, IMO. Hated the ER6, used them for 30 minutes, 29 of those were because I couldn't quite convince myself I was really hearing what I was hearing.

ER4? Nope, silly money, and anyway, I've decided I don't want to be isolated like that, certainly not outside in public.

Jan 11, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 48
I hate earbuds, but hey, they're tiny and sound better than the rest of them. The Ety 4S while sounds ok, I couldn't stand the fit, besides, way too much isolation.

I wonder if anybody's tried the MX500 with fixups adapter cable in addition to a portable amp.

Jan 11, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I hate earbuds, but hey, they're tiny and sound better than the rest of them. The Ety 4S while sounds ok, I couldn't stand the fit, besides, way too much isolation.

I wonder if anybody's tried the MX500 with fixups adapter cable in addition to a portable amp.

I'll try it with the MX400s... right now...

I'll report back in a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 48
Half an hour later...

This is the first pair of headphones that i'm not sure I could recommend with an ETY 4P-4S cable... the bass to my ears DOES improve, but the midrange remains with that little shade of gray, and... I'm not sure if its the recording i'm listening to... but sibilance appears to be more apparent now...

That didn't stop me from forgetting I had them on though...

...Its just the inherent cost of this 'upgrade'... for earbuds

Jan 11, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 48
The mx400 sounded like tiny tin cans in your ears. not a good sound. and the fit is bad..it hurts my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back