Could this be a better deal than the $60 Sony SACD/CD changer?
Apr 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Directly from Yamaha....SACD/DVD-A, NTSC/PAL compatible, selectable CD upsampling (off/88.2/176.4), Audio Direct mode (turns video output on/off), etc.

Yamaha DV-S5860 universal player for $80.00 + shipping

Shipping is $9.95 and depending on where you live, there may be sales tax.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Most SACD enthusiasts tend to go for players that don't play DVDs. If I recall, DVD players use a single laser to read DVD, Red Book and SACD. Dedicated players usually have a laser for CD and a separate one, specifically for SACD. That's supposed to be of benefit. Also, I think there's a difference in the way some DVD players decode the DSD signal.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most SACD enthusiasts tend to go for players that don't play DVDs. If I recall, DVD players use a single laser to read DVD, Red Book and SACD. Dedicated players usually have a laser for CD and a separate one, specifically for SACD. That's supposed to be of benefit. Also, I think there's a difference in the way some DVD players decode the DSD signal.

Personally, Uncle Erik, I'd love to get a single-disc dedicated SACD/CD player. Unfortunately, I have (extremely) low budget. While the Sony SCD-CE595 is a dedicated SACD/CD player, the one thing that I don't like about it is that it's a changer.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Do you honestly believe that a CD changer impacts sound significantly? I can understand arguments that the CD output is not as good as higher end players, and theres a simple solution to that as well, get a DAC.

The SACD output is pretty good unless you spend significantly more. Frankly I find it very convinient that it has a CD changer since I dont have to fumble around to find a CD every single time and can leave some current favourites in there.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you honestly believe that a CD changer impacts sound significantly? I can understand arguments that the CD output is not as good as higher end players, and theres a simple solution to that as well, get a DAC.

The SACD output is pretty good unless you spend significantly more. Frankly I find it very convinient that it has a CD changer since I dont have to fumble around to find a CD every single time and can leave some current favourites in there.

I agree about the sound quality. I purchased mine the day it became available and even at full MSRP, I think the 595 is a excellent deal.

As for the changer aspect of the 595, I just prefer a single-disc player because of its simplicity. It's has nothing to do with sound quality.

May 1, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree about the sound quality. I purchased mine the day it became available and even at full MSRP, I think the 595 is a excellent deal.

As for the changer aspect of the 595, I just prefer a single-disc player because of its simplicity. It's has nothing to do with sound quality.

Honestly, I don't think you can get any model below $150 which can beat 595 in sound quality.

If the sound quality is the most important factor, just grab another 595 from sony outlet.
tongue.gif

You can get it less than $80 for a refubrished one.

May 1, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, Uncle Erik, I'd love to get a single-disc dedicated SACD/CD player. Unfortunately, I have (extremely) low budget. While the Sony SCD-CE595 is a dedicated SACD/CD player, the one thing that I don't like about it is that it's a changer.

Changers get a bad rep, but the laser pickup, conversion and DAC are more important. The CE595 might not seem high end, but it does deliver the sonic goods. I was in Arizona last week where my CE595 sits in a second system. The SA8001 has a blacker background and sounds more refined, but I had a hard time finding much wrong with the CE595. It's a good player.

May 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Here's potentially a better deal than even the Yamaha universal player.....actually, it's another Yamaha universal player!

Yamaha DVD-S1700 universal player at Newegg.com for $110.00 shipped

It's certainly a classier-looking player, with an aluminum front face plate and those big support feet. It also has more powerful video processing and a detachable power cord. And according to this post at audioasylum.com, the S1700 sounds excellent as well.

However, don't give up on the SL5860 yet....because according to a buyer of the SL5860 that followed my link over at stevehoffman.tv, it also recognizes HDCDs. Don't forget that the SL5860 also does CD upsampling, which the S1700 doesn't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back