Could someone help an audiophilia noob on what headphones to choose?
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Beanbaker

New Head-Fier
This is my first post to the Head-Fi forums, and I've been a lurker for only a week, so tell me if I'm doing something blatantly wrong 
tongue.gif

First off, these are the cans that I've been looking at. My maximum price to pay is around $220 and these fall under that mark.

1. Ultrasone Pro 550
  2. Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro
  3. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  4. Audio Technica A700x
  5. Shure SRH840
  6. Sony MDR-7506/V6

These seem like decent headphones to me, but I've never heard any of them besides my friend's MDR-7506's which I enjoyed quite a bit. I'm looking for headphones that will have a strong bass for listening to dubstep/DnB/Electronica, but not overwhelming. Clear mid-ranges,treble, and all else is important to me too. I will be using these for gaming and music enjoyment if that helps any. Hearing footsteps in a shooter is definitely a must-have for me. Also, these headphones must be able to be driven by my laptop and andriod. I would prefer NOT to pay for an external amplifier.

I am open to anything you guys have to say 
smily_headphones1.gif
 and if you know of an awesome pair of headphones that isn't on the list: TELL ME. I want to make sure I'm getting the best pair for my money. 

Side-Note: I've been considering Sennheiser HD 280 PROs, but I heard they have mushy sound with weak bass. I figured that pair might come up in discussion.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the Shure SRH440s.  I use them on my PC for music and games.  For one thing, they seal really well.  My computer is loud so I really appreciate how they cut down on that noise so I can hear all the details against a quiet background.  The bass really impressed me.  I often hear deep bass notes that my 2.1 system hint at.  Or the 2.1s play the note more as a boom, compared to the low, deep tones I get from the headphones.

So if I like the bass on the 440s, I can imagine that it must be amazing on the 840s-

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2811&graphID[]=913

In fact I think the 840s will be next on my list.  :)

I haven't heard the other headphones you mentioned.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the response 
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you think from that frequency response that the 840s would have an overwhelming amount of bass? I want to hear it, but not have it drown out all other sounds.

Also, do the pads go completely around your ears for the sound isolation? That's very important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back