Could I have tinnitus?
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nightowl217

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I recently started wearing ear plugs when i go out in public, and it really made going out much more comfortable for me. But after awhile, i noticed what sounded like a quiet hiss in my ears... When any other sound is present, i can't hear it. But when my ears are plugged... I hear this quiet, almost mechanical sounding hiss. So... Could I have tinnitus? I'm really scared that i might. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Wait til you are in a very quiet room and you hear a moderate ringing, then be scared lol.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 8
I hear the same thing when I use my ear plugs for sleep or when I'm in a very quiet room. It's not a big deal unless you hear it when ambient sound is around you. So you'll want to see a doc if that's the case. You do have tinnitus, but it's very mild and not uncommon. If it's very bad for you, chances are you'll get a hearing piece that emits white noise. It cancels out the ringing sound.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 8
With perfect hearing, you will still be able to hear the white noise of blood circulating around your ears in a quiet room. So this may or may not be tinnitus.

If you're in doubt, see a doctor and request a hearing test. Professional attention is far more reliable than diagnoses over the Internet.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Most likely you don't have it. From what I understand, most people experience at least some mild ringing in their ears in a silent room. I actually had my ears de-waxed recently and became VERY sensitive to it. The more you think about it, the more your brain accentuates it. Go to bed, have a good nights sleep and if you can still consciously hear it first thing in the morning when you wake up, then go see your audiologist and ask for an exam. Chances are you'll be fine though. Stop stressing about it :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok, thanks for the responses guys. I think its mostly just me thinking about it too much. I have never heard it unless im in a quiet room with my ears plugged. Thanks for reassuring me. *exhales*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back