Could I get a lil' help here please?
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yanoflies

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to for advice in regards to a soundcard and/or DAC. Currently the 'audio' stuff I'm using are:

Asus Sabertooth Z77's onboard
Swan M10
SoundMagic E30 / Razer Moray+ (don't use the Moray+ now that I've got the E30)
Plantronic Gamecon 780 (sorry, don't know why I bought these)
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (will be buying soon)
iPod Classic (what I use for music when I'm out; sometimes if I have to then I'd listen through my Galaxy Nexus or iPad 4)

So basically ...

What should I buy to improve my audio on a tight budget?
Would a Xonar DG be sufficient for the AD900X (and M10)? It's the only one with an AMP versus DX/DS and I can't spend too much.

I listen to pretty much everything: (j)pop, (j)rock, instrumentals, electronic etc.
I also do game: FPS, RTS

EDIT: Also what would be a good cheap mic to use for voice? Is generic good enough?

Thanks,

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, I have a DGX, which is the same as DG but is PCI Express x1. It will be fine for the iems you have. The amp is irrelevant for loudspeakers as it's a headphone amp and can only be engaged when you set the output to headphones from the ASUS software but anyway, loudspeakers won't have an issue with the output power. That Plantronic headset is USB only, so the sound card has nothing to do with it. As it will be connected to and powered by a USB port. I haven't heard the AD900X but it has low impedance and shouldn't be too hard to drive but don't imagine some insane performance or loudness levels - the ASUS built-in amp is pretty weak and any dedicated headphone amp will destroy it. Overall, the DG/DGX cards are a decent solution for people on a budget. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 10
The only issue with the DGX is that I've read it was very mid centric; I prefer as neutral as possible. I might just go with it though because it seems excellent value for money.

[Sent from my Galaxy Nexus > Tapatalk 2]

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
The only issue with the DGX is that I've read it was very mid centric; I prefer as neutral as possible. I might just go with it though because it seems excellent value for money.

[Sent from my Galaxy Nexus > Tapatalk 2]

Well, honestly they use the same chipset and are exactly the same spec-wise, so I'm not sure if there is such a difference in the presentation between the two but yeah, the sound is mid-forward but the ASUS software has it's own EQ. So once you EQ the sound to your liking (if you don't like how it sounds with flat EQ) you won't have to make EQ changes with other software, so it will sound the way you like it in music players, games, youtube etc., so the mid-centric presentation is not such an issue

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I'll be going with the DGX.

If I want to leave my cans plugged in simultaneously with my speakers, I'd need some sort of DAC right? What should I get? Maybe one of the FiiO's?

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I'll be going with the DGX.

If I want to leave my cans plugged in simultaneously with my speakers, I'd need some sort of DAC right? What should I get? Maybe one of the FiiO's?

Yeah, if you don't want to plug and unplug cables at the back of your pc. A DAC is an option - it pretty much depends on your budget. Of course you can go the cheap way and just plug the speakers in your built-in sound card.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, your cheapest decent sounding option is the ELE DAC, which is like $17-18. Of course there are other options for more money but pretty much most decent sounding cheap DACs will be also using a PCM270X chip.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, I don't think that for 30 you'll get anything particularly better as a DAC coz the ELE is a pretty good performer for its price and 17-18 bucks with free shipping is a great price. Of course you can check what your local stores and online sellers carry - but most cheap options around 30 bucks will still have a PCM2704 or something in that line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back