Could I benefit from a DAC? Using: HE-400 w/ Cayin C5 Amp & Realtek ALC887 DAP
Jul 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might consider this. I'm typically a DIY'er and all for saving cash. Is that basically all it is? No need to really show off the cups...

As long as the cup design will fit where it's needed, like the gymbals and the driver mount. If you want to make it open back, you'll need a grill. I've seen Grado cup DIY-ers buy one of those pen+pencil desktop baskets (about the size of a drinking glass, but is a semi-stiff metal wire basket, like a mini trashcan) and gut it for the grill. If you'll make it closed back, you'll need to use sound dampening materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well slight problem. I just received the Modi 2 and its only output is left and right audio channels. Probably my fault for not verifying. Guess I'll be shipping that right on back.

Maybe they make them with the standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

Do you really need to use it with the C5? Because to begin with it would make more sense to have a portable DAC-HPamp with a line out, that way you can use the line out to feed a desktop headphone amplifier that has more power and cleaner sound than what a portable can do with a battery. On top of that most of the newer portable DAC-HPamps work with smartphones'/tablets' digital audio output, whether it's OTG-USB Audio (Android) or Lightning to Camera adapter-USB audio (Apple).

If you're keeping the C5 you might as well just get a DAC-HPamp for home use since you're willing to get a desktop DAC anyway, and then just use the C5 on the go with the analogue output of the smartphone. Or even keep the Modi2 for now and get the Magni to go with it.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #17 of 17
DACs don't have two left and right channel outputs, so another DAC wouldn't have been different.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I don't know, with both the left(L) and right(R) audio channels being RCA, calling it Dual RCA made sense to me. Plus those are Wyvern Audios words, not really mine. Actually... Googling it also brings up tons of legit products with that terminology everywhere.

I'm ultimately trying to accomplish what I wrote in my original post (above).

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back