Cotton insulated copper wires? Why?
May 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I accidentally ordered some cotton insulated copper wires from HGA while back, I don't know what to do with them, don't have experience with them.  Why cotton?  Can I make interconnects with it, would it cause any problems?

May 25, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 18
I think cotton is great to kill microphonics
happy_face1.gif

May 25, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
I think cotton is great to kill microphonics
happy_face1.gif

From wiki:
Microphonics describes the phenomenon where certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). 

kill microphonics? Care to elaborate?

May 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 18
I think he means that cables (ie in headphones) can carry (physically) vibrations into the earcups/eartips during normal activities like walking, much like a tin-can telephone. Thus, cotton-insulated cables would work great for making custom IEM recables.

May 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
cotton has lower dielectric coefficient than other insulating material, say, teflon, resulting lower capacitance between wires.

How would that effect the signal transfer?

May 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I thought cotton was there to help prevent crushing and for strength, particularly in studio applications. 

May 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
cotton has lower dielectric coefficient than other insulating material, say, teflon, resulting lower capacitance between wires.

Ah so that's one reason. Thanks for sharing. 

Quote:
yes but cotton is not airtight, the copper would oxidate, wouldn´t it?

You would put that over the plastic or whatever you're originally using to cover the wires. Then you would put the copper over that for protection and all of that other good stuff. 

Kind of like a seat cover over a car seat. The cover is already there but the seat cover gives extra comfort and whatnot. 

May 29, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Quote:
How would that effect the signal transfer?

For interconnects, it would raise the corner frequency of the low pass RC filter.  
Meaning that where moderate-length interconnects in a normal system would roll off the 'highs' somewhere around 50khz to 500khz, a identical cable made with a cotton dielectric would roll off the highs maybe around 70khz to 700khz.  Normally well beyond the audible range unless you start using 30 feet lengths of radioshack cable.

It boggles me why audiophiles would use this stuff.  You can achieve a lower capacitance by simply increasing the distance between conductors(or shield), decreasing the conductor size, using a thicker insulator, or decreasing the cable length..  You can do all this without sacrificing the conductor.

For headphone/speaker cables, capacitance hardly ever matters.. the Fc is usually 100 to 10000x that of a interconnect.

Cotton makes for good linen and casual wear... not for insulating copper conductors.
If you want to reduce microphonics, at least put the cotton over an insulated conductor.

May 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

It boggles me why audiophiles would use this stuff.  You can achieve a lower capacitance by simply increasing the distance between conductors(or shield), decreasing the conductor size, using a thicker insulator, or decreasing the cable length..  You can do all this without sacrificing the conductor.

Don't forget it has a more organic sound (whatever that means) 
tongue_smile.gif

May 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Ah so that's one reason. Thanks for sharing. 

You would put that over the plastic or whatever you're originally using to cover the wires. Then you would put the copper over that for protection and all of that other good stuff. 

Kind of like a seat cover over a car seat. The cover is already there but the seat cover gives extra comfort and whatnot. 

I assumed the cotton would be the only dielectric, since that is what I have seen been done: copper then cotton. No other material was ud´sed on those ICs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back