Cost/value curve on line-out cables
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Riggaberto

100+ Head-Fier
Please help me understand the cost/value curve on line out cables (is there another name?). 

Here's an example of the type of information I'm looking for

"If you spend about $50 with a cable that has feature X you'll be getting a major upgrade over what you'd get at radioshack for this reason. You can also spend $150 on feature Y but the differences are minor at that point."
"People say cables made from unicorn hair for $1000 are the absolute elite but I can't hear the difference from a $100 cable."  

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 7
If you spend $50 on a cable, you get a $50 cable.

If you spend $200 on cable, you get a $200 cable.

Real talk, the cable market is way too oversaturated with people who do not so good business which makes the other 90% look bad, and it's very difficult if not impossible to do any sort of testing that would yield results. The problem is the sonic difference is there, but it'd register so small that it would still be within your measuring equipment's margin for error.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
If you spend $50 on a cable, you get a $50 cable.

If you spend $200 on cable, you get a $200 cable.

Real talk, the cable market is way too oversaturated with people who do not so good business which makes the other 90% look bad, and it's very difficult if not impossible to do any sort of testing that would yield results. The problem is the sonic difference is there, but it'd register so small that it would still be within your measuring equipment's margin for error.

So in your opinion its not worth spending any $ on above radioshack-quality cables?

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 7
They are also called RCA cables, stereo audio cables, or interconnects.

Check out the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1-

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

$31.25 for a 3 footer.  If you click on "design notes," you can read all about why they built the cable the way they did- thickness of the conductor, solid vs stranded, type of dielectric.  They list the cable specs (capacitance, resistance, and so on).  It's shielded and uses high quality RCA plugs.

They don't get into any of the fringe / esoteric stuff you often find in high end cables.  No dielectric biasing, no cryogenics, no unicorn tears. 

So for me, the perfect blend of cost and value starts at $31.25.  :)

Beyond that, I don't know.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

They don't get into any of the fringe / esoteric stuff you often find in high end cables.  No dielectric biasing, no cryogenics, no unicorn tears. 

So for me, the perfect blend of cost and value starts at $31.25.  :)

Beyond that, I don't know.

Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, cheers!

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
So in your opinion its not worth spending any $ on above radioshack-quality cables?

I'm not saying don't buy 'em, but be realistic with your purchase. If you gotta go broke to buy $150 cables, you probably don't have your priorities on right. They're a worthwhile upgrade to look at once your gear is all figured out and you just wanted that last bit of sonic bliss.

By the way all these cable guys have return policies... LOL.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I'm not saying don't buy 'em, but be realistic with your purchase. If you gotta go broke to buy $150 cables, you probably don't have your priorities on right. 

I get all that - that's what I made this thread is for: determining how much value in sound quality I can get at various price points and features given a limited amount of money. The communities experience on specifics of value is how I make realistic purchases and have my priorities right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back