Cost Effectiveness of buying "albums:" CDs vs. MP3s
May 31, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kinda gets me is all the people talking about HD failure for a reason why digital music is so bad.... well what about if your place gets set on fire, broken into or a flood. Digital, vinyl or cd... you're music can be lost no matter what format you have it in. So using HD failure as an excuse is really not a good point.... oh and lets not forget about CD scratches, broken disc or just plan old losing them. Go to Best Buy and tell them you lost your cd or damaged it... let's see it they'll replace it for you...

Well, as I stated above I've had about 4 hard drives fail on me already. My house has yet to be burned down/broken into/flooded (knock on wood). I'm not trying to knock your preference of buying digital downloads, I just think that a hard drive fail is FAR more likely to happen then any of the above mentioned disasters and therefore having a physical copy of the music really is beneficial to technologically illiterate people like me. Also, I have over 200 CDs and none have been scratched to the point where I can no longer listen to them (knock on wood again).
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #17 of 56
300 songs for $75 works out to 25 cents a song or about $3/CD. Not bad. I guess the thing is that in that case I would join for a couple months, reach the DL limits each one and then quit. Then that would be a good value, otherwise $900/year is not a good deal.

Still I think somehow not having a physical copy of the music somehow devalues it in my mind. Thing is you can see this mentality in lots of other people who freely copy music without regard to it being intellectual property and their act being theft. At that point when there is so much abundance and so little work in order to get it that there follows a real lack of appreciation of the work that when into producing that music. Granted I'm glad we are not in the days of being dictated to by a heavy-handed music industry with lobbyist in tow, but the anarchy of something for nothing makes music seem almost worthless as a commodity and an art form.

May 31, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #18 of 56
A lot of the albums I buy are around £8, so you're paying a good price for your CDs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should step away from the computer for a while and actually LISTEN to the music.

Indeed, turn off that computer, dim the lights and close your eyes.

May 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of the albums I buy are around £8, so you're paying a good price for your CDs

Indeed, turn off that computer, dim the lights and close your eyes.

Indeed.

May 31, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

I don't see a need for buying CDs. The only reason why I buy them is because most the time I have no choice. I can't stand sitting in front of my computer ripping CD after CD. Its nothing more than a waste of time. I could care less about the "physical package". Anything I wanted to know about about the album I can easily find on the net and that includes album art. All CDs do is take up space.

I recently joined emusic and it's the perfect business model for me. I think the quality is great. They use LAME 3.92 APS, which is what I abxed and it's CD quality to my ears on my rig. It's mp3 so it'll play on anything I want. The music is very cheap, I get 300 songs for $74.99 a month. Plus there is just so much good music!

I keep my music on a backup HD and backed up to dvd (2x). Emusic will also let you re download your music an unlimited amount of times.

What kinda gets me is all the people talking about HD failure for a reason why digital music is so bad.... well what about if your place gets set on fire, broken into or a flood. Digital, vinyl or cd... you're music can be lost no matter what format you have it in. So using HD failure as an excuse is really not a good point.... oh and lets not forget about CD scratches, broken disc or just plan old losing them. Go to Best Buy and tell them you lost your cd or damaged it... let's see it they'll replace it for you...

Do you happen to work for the RIAA? As for physical damage, you tell me what happens more: house burning down or data corruption?

You are basically telling us that you would rather have less choice than more.

May 31, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

I don't see a need for buying CDs. The only reason why I buy them is because most the time I have no choice. I can't stand sitting in front of my computer ripping CD after CD. Its nothing more than a waste of time. I could care less about the "physical package". Anything I wanted to know about about the album I can easily find on the net and that includes album art. All CDs do is take up space.

I recently joined emusic and it's the perfect business model for me. I think the quality is great. They use LAME 3.92 APS, which is what I abxed and it's CD quality to my ears on my rig. It's mp3 so it'll play on anything I want. The music is very cheap, I get 300 songs for $74.99 a month. Plus there is just so much good music!

I keep my music on a backup HD and backed up to dvd (2x). Emusic will also let you re download your music an unlimited amount of times.

So you'd rather put your faith in eMusic always being around for your download needs? In 10 years from now, do you see eMusic as letting you redownload all the music you payed for 10 years ago? Maybe, possibly, who knows?!?! One thing for sure, you're stuck with DRM! You're also stuck with having to burn the music onto CD if you want to transport it to any real player. In those situations, you either 1) end up with a faceless disc and case, or 2) spend far longer and more money creating a custom case and disc label. And even then, you're stuck with a cheap CD-R vs a professional stamped CD and CD case.

Ripping your CD's shouldn't take too long, but I guess some people can't be bothered. Some people can't be bothered to properly upkeep their Vinyl's and Tapes. Some people can't even be bothered to put their CD's and DVD's back in their cases, they just throw them all over the place.

May 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 56
I won't buy e-music for a few reasons.

1) Physical Package. I love having something tangible, and to be able to show off my music collection.

2) Why pay for downloaded music, when my legal mp3 collection will be indistinguishable from my friend's illegally downloaded collection?

The day CDs are out, is the day I'll go back to sharing music. There's no way I'll pay $0.50 to $1.25 a song when I can get the exact same product from Torrents, etc...If the songs were lossless at $0.50 I wouldn't mind paying that, but it's just not gonna happen. So if they go digital, the only hope is that they offer lossless, or they offer albums for $1 a piece.

May 31, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #24 of 56
I'll be another to say that I'd like to have the CD. Even in comptuer software, I often pay extra to have the box, rather than just a download.

I haven't had a drive failure in more than ten years - I use RAID for everything - and I run good backups on top of that. I am not worried about losing data.

I just want a physical copy.

If the RIAA pokes me and says, "That DAP you've got is full of illegal songs!" I want to be able to point at my big stack of CDs and say, "Baloney. Go away."

May 31, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should step away from the computer for a while and actually LISTEN to the music.

First off if you took the time to notice my sig you'd see I own a portable rig. Not computer as a source. Secondly if you actually read my post (instead of assuming, which only makes an ***** out of you in the case) you'd have seen the part where I say
Quote:

I can't stand sitting in front of my computer ripping CD after CD

So what makes you think I want to sit in front of my computer listening to music all day either? Next time keep your baseless personal attacks to yourself.

May 31, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you'd rather put your faith in eMusic always being around for your download needs? In 10 years from now, do you see eMusic as letting you redownload all the music you payed for 10 years ago? Maybe, possibly, who knows?!?! One thing for sure, you're stuck with DRM!

I'm guessing you don't use eMusic, because their downloads are not DRM-protected. And given the rising popularity of eMusic, I for one don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

May 31, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing you don't use eMusic, because their downloads are not DRM-protected. And given the rising popularity of eMusic, I for one don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Nope, I haven't downloaded music in awhile!

May 31, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

So you'd rather put your faith in eMusic always being around for your download needs? In 10 years from now, do you see eMusic as letting you redownload all the music you payed for 10 years ago? Maybe, possibly, who knows?!?!

You take just as much risk with CDs as I do with mp3 and don't even try to act like CDs are some kind of invincible product. There aren't and if you try to say otherwise then you're lying. Do you have faith that CDs will be as easy to get as they are today? Ask anyone who grew up in the days of vinyl how easy Vinyl was to get versus today. That's how it will be for CDs somewhere down the road. Digital is the format that will eventually take over. So for right now my investment is a solid one. There will be new digital store that will cater to my wants... until a new format takes over.

Another thing is I'm not stupid and know all about HD failure, file corruption and all the other problems that plague digital music. That's why my music is backed up. I also have a backup off site at a bank in a safe deposit box (half way across the country) just in case of fire, flooding, robbery, or any other natural disaster. So I'm pretty sure my music is nice and safe. How sure are you about your CDs? I'm not depending on Emusic for anything right now except to supply me music. Just like you depend on whatever retailer you use to supply your music. If I were to some how lose all my digital music today (which would be amazingly hard to do) I could re download the music from Emusic. What would you do if you lost all your music?

Quote:

One thing for sure, you're stuck with DRM!

Really?! Cause last time I checked all the music I ripped from my CDs was DRM free. And last time I checked all the music on Emusic is DRM free. I recall stating in my post that emusis was all LAME. Which is mp3 and we all know that mp3 doesn't carry drm. So you're wrong I'm not stuck with DRM.

Quote:

You're also stuck with having to burn the music onto CD if you want to transport it to any real player. In those situations, you either 1) end up with a faceless disc and case, or 2) spend far longer and more money creating a custom case and disc label. And even then, you're stuck with a cheap CD-R vs a professional stamped CD and CD case.

Not to be rude (honestly) but do you know anything about digital music or DAPS?
confused.gif
Because when I want to play music on my speakers all I do is plug my iPod into the receiver. When I want to play music in my car all I do is plug in my iPod into my cars reciever. There's no need to burn disc and go through all that hassle. It's been that way for years now.

Quote:

Ripping your CD's shouldn't take too long, but I guess some people can't be bothered. Some people can't be bothered to properly upkeep their Vinyl's and Tapes. Some people can't even be bothered to put their CD's and DVD's back in their cases, they just throw them all over the place.

Why should I spend 10 minutes ripping my CDs into a format that I can easily download from an online music store in 30 secs? It's called convenience. Not to mention the time and gas saves by not having to drive to the store to pick up the CD. Technology is here to make our lives easier. Why should I waste time taking care of CDs. Personally I have better things to do with my life like spend time with my GF, roller blade, go camping, have my music at the click of a button, go white water rafter... basically live my life. Or I could sit in front of a computer ripping CDs and then spend time storing them, dusting them.... Thirty minutes messing around with CDs or 30 minutes speed boating... that's not a hard choice to make for me.

May 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you happen to work for the RIAA? As for physical damage, you tell me what happens more: house burning down or data corruption?

You are basically telling us that you would rather have less choice than more.

Explain to me how I have less of a choice. I DL in the format of my choice (mp3) and it plays on every player I want and on any speaker setup I want. So where am I limited? CDs I can only play on things that play CDs. I'm have yet to meet an audio playing device that won't play my MP3s of my iPod. So really explain to me how I'm limited?

CDs are not invincible and I think it's so laughable that you guys are trying to make it seem like that are and that mp3s will self destruct at any second! Each format has it's pros and cons. The cons for CDS and the pros for mp3s lead me to the conclusion that mp3s are the right choice for me and I'm happy with my decision. You guys make it seem like leaving the cult of CDs is a personal attack against you all. Just listen to your CDs and don't worry about what us Digital lovers do.

BTW if you're smart then you never have to worry about data corruption, because you'll have multiple backups. You should also have multiple backups of your CDs as well... if you're smart.
wink.gif

May 31, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 56
The one thing I should mention, is the quality of your equipment judges how much you hear the compression. Looking at your setup Digitalbath, it seems as if you found a good balanced system for your mp3 downloads. But later on, if you upgrade to a nice source, amp, and a very nice pair of headphones, you may find the older lame compiled mp3's and the bitrate to leave something to be desired.

Or you could be like the many who are just happy throwing music on their iPod and listening through their ear buds. Which is perfectly fine too. But it's just far from my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back