Correct forum buying/selling etiquette?
Dec 13, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 28
I agree with the seller on this one. "Talks cheap in the big city", if you don't have the funds on hand to complete the deal, you can't expect him to pass up buyers that do, while he waits on you to maybe come up with the money. I can't tell you how many times someone has told me they were going to buy something and then "flaked out".

- augustwest

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #19 of 28
I've had a similar thing happen to me - I thought the sale was 'under discussion', as the seller had provided his paypal address. I had then asked for the seller's address and phone number before I made the payment, and indicated I could pay within 24 hours. Well, no response to that request, and I wanted the item, so I paid anyways a few hours later (the seller had good feedback), and the seller replied 'sorry, it's sold' and refunded me my payment. I was a little annoyed, but I didn't think it was a situation for negative feedback.

To me, the problem here is not the seller's policy of 'no funds, no deal', which I think is perfectly fair, it's that both parties are playing the game by a different set of unstated rules, and there is no communication to indicate the difference in understanding - the buyer thinks the seller is dealing solely with him (as that is how he understands the informal rules to work), especially when a paypal address is provided, while the seller views the situation very differently.

Maybe a good way to rectify this problem would be to state in the FS Post, for example, 'first to PM and pay within 24 hours gets it', or 'first to pay gets it, PM order not determinative'. That way, the rules are clearly on the table, and everyone understands what is expected.

Personally, if someone tells me they're definite and they'll pay me within, say, 24 hours, I give them the benefit of the doubt. I've been in that position before, and several sellers have operated by this policy to my benefit, so I don't mind returning the favour (in a sense). So I guess my policy is, first to PM me gets the item, as long as they can pay within a reasonable time; if not, I move on to the next aspiring buyer. However, I understand the opposite policy, and don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the seller makes it clear what is going on.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I was wrong. I would never conduct my sales on the forums like this one..and I can only hope there are others out there that agree and do the same.

Do the same as what?

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 28
Once the buyer has sent an "I want it" PM, I give them 48 hours to pay once they have received my paypal email address. If they specifically ask for more, I am happy to accomodate if they are an established member of the community.

So I'd say since the buyer provided you with his paypal, then sold to someone else, that is pretty crappy. If he didn't want to wait after you sent the second PM, he should have written back to you ASAP and told you so.

Having said that, I understand our individual selling policies our based on our past experiences. It just so happens that I've only dealt with good buyers. It also probably helps that I completely ignore lowballers, or those with poor FS ad reading comprehension.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I was wrong. I would never conduct my sales on the forums like this one..and I can only hope there are others out there that agree and do the same.

You have to keep in mind that even if you could come up with the money relatively fast, the seller doesn't know if you can back up your word.
Often when selling, people say "can you hold it for me for awhile?" and end up taking days/weeks or back out after.
So from the sellers P.O.V someone who can pay immediately gets priority.

I would not say the seller is wrong in this case since he never gave you any guarantee that he was selling to you, although he could have let you know that they were sold.

My €0.02.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #23 of 28
Dont shop when you dont have the funds available, its a waste of time for the seller or another buyer that is ready with payment.

In many forums ive been 2nd in line and have to wait for funds to be sourced etc.

I make it a point in my sales to state "First person w/ payment".

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 28
As a seller, I would never sell something to someone if I had already sent my paypal address to someone else. Especially if the first person who contacted me replies to my PM within reasonable delays (let's say around 36 hours). Not until the situation with the first potential buyer is perfectly cleared, on both sides.

But of course, I might be overly polite. Or I'm still living on the idea of what Head-fi was three years ago...

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 28
I think it all depends on how the person leads you. If someone posts a for sale thread and you are the first to shoot a PM that says, "I want, paypal ready, here is my shipping address __________." If the seller thinks you have inadequate feedback or would rather ship to a neighboring state of another seller, that is their prerogative. BUT if the seller mislead you into thinking that he would be selling you the cans, then **** him.

Since when did FS forums pick up a "first come first serve" rule?

However, I agree with the Op; this can really suck. For the longest time I lost all MS2 bids, and I really wanted those cans. I know it can suck loosing out on an item, especially when they don't come along very often.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #26 of 28
Well, it's nice to know they are some guys that can empathize with my situation.

I can understand where my seller was coming from, but I'm glad there are people that would handle things differently. It really suprises me..because he has entensive feedback and seems to be like a really nice guy.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 28
Honestly, I wouldn't have waited either. This was obviously an item in high demand, the other buyer may have offered him just a little extra to seal the deal a little quicker than usual. Oh well.

Keep the money on hold, ready for immediate transfer. I'm sure the headphone will pop up again soon.

EK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back